Author Topic: Linux LTS Kernel 4.19 And 5.4 Will Now Be Supported For 6 Years, Instead Of 2  (Read 702 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Get security and bug fixes for additional 4 years.

Article: Fossbytes, by Sarvottam Kumar - June 6, 2020

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Wow, that's quite a commitment.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
That's why I don't worry about which PM ver I'm running. It's all about the kernel IMO.

My dual-boot daily driver is running PM9, on top of Linux 4.15. And, my triple-boot 'Road Warrior' is running PM7, on top of Linux 5.3. I haven't had much luck with Linux 5.4, so far, but I figure it's only a matter of time. Then, I can kickback until 2026. LoL

I usually update my 'Road Warrior' on weekends. PM only takes a couple of minutes, but the winders twins take 2-3 hours to fully update.  ::)

While winders 10 'Stable' is still a cow, winders 10 'Dev' is looking rather studly. I've haxored the winders 10 dev channel ver to mimic the look n' feel of PM7.

I don't give a hoot about the winders 10 stable ver. Only reason I keep it around is because I can't depend on the dev ver to always work correctly. It seems to fail, the further I get away from home. PM7, on the other hand, has never left me high n' dry.

PM7

W10P Dev Channel

W10P Stable

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:26:00 pm by VinDSL »

Offline josephd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
I had Trisquel 7 running on my Toshiba Netbook until 14.04 hit end of life and updated the libre kernel a few times. I mainly used it for local computing. So having the latest and greatest software wasn't a concern when all I needed was what was on the drive.

I really do wish that project was more active. They released their 16.04 version a few months before 18.04 was released and haven't even released their 18.04 variant.

Like us they have a great community, but I suspect no development team.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:47:33 am by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
I had Trisquel 7 running on my Toshiba Netbook until 14.04 hit end of life and updated the libre kernel a few times. I mainly used it for local computing. So having the latest and greatest software wasn't a concern when all I needed was what was on the drive.

I really do wish that project was more active. They released their 16.04 version a few months before 18.04 was released and haven't even released their 18.04 variant.

Like us they have a great community, but I suspect no development team.

The Free Software Foundation is wonderful.  I've tried Trisquel and PureOS, and they're both pretty cool.  I get messed up with these distributions, however, when I can't install browsers like Firefox or Chromium and I'm blocked from doing so.  Their argument, of course, is that 'optionally free (software) isn't free enough' , but when you're forced to run only free software, and you can often find yourself in real-world pinch without a perfect solution.  And when that happens, your freedom can feel very much impinged upon if you're forced to run only free software. ::)  That said, I try to run open source software as much as I can, and I'm toying with the idea of installing Peppermint, Ubuntu, and Mint without the nonfree packages -- which is actually how I began using Peppermint.  On the occasions that I will need something proprietary, a backup installation of Chrome browser should usually be able to do the trick.  In the meanwhile, Firefox, Chromium, or Brave seem to be the way to go.  If you can't read code (and I can't), running open source software seems a safer bet than running software that's proprietary.  Maybe it's a fallacy, or maybe it's not, but I subscribe to Linus' Law:  "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow". ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi perknh,

Good points!  ;)

Regarding use of (for example) Firefox on Trisquel: seeing as Trisquel is based on Debian/Ubuntu and uses DEB package management can't you just go to the Mozilla/Firefox homepage and download the latest Firefox deb package and install it using Gdebi ??  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline josephd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
You could... but that would be "negative in the Freedom Dimension"
https://archive.org/details/RichardStallmanGnulasS20e10 (move ahead to about 20 minutes RMS and Bryan have it out)
https://archive.org/details/BryanHatesFreedomLasS21e01

I loved these episodes and miss LAS. Bryan, Chris and Matt worked well together but I think LAS kinda ended when Matt left and Linux news wasn't terribly exciting on a weekly basis anymore.

But eh, these episodes were basically 20 min cool stuff and an hour of ads and stretching out the show.

I appreciate what RMS did for free software but he was holding the FSF back.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:48:13 pm by josephd »