Author Topic: Network protocols and utilities (Solved)  (Read 657 times)

Offline Bear

• Got a lot to learn
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
Network protocols and utilities (Solved)
« on: March 23, 2020, 02:02:49 pm »
I'm trying to network Peppermint 10 to two machines running Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I followed some suggestions that Mark Greaves gave me a few years ago to set up Samba shares and they show up when I inspect my network using the Files icon on the Peppermint taskbar but not when I look using the Windows machines. Using smbclient I can see one of the Windows machines but the other gives the error NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT as if I've miss-typed the machine name. Interestingly, when smbclient finds a machine it says "Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing". As SMB1 is deprecated and now unsupported by Windows 10, how do I force Peppermint to use at least SMB2?
Also, what's the replacement for smbmount which my Windows 10 handbook suggests I use?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:42:32 pm by Bear »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Network protocols and utilities
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 03:07:21 pm »
Hi Bear, It sounds like Peppermint is working and Windows isn't. You may have to try a Windows forum. Maybe a site like Tom's Hardware would be of help.
What was I thinking?

Offline Bear

• Got a lot to learn
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 03:03:22 am »
Changing a few settings in one of my Windows machines had everything springing into life. This article https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf lists a collection of services needed for networking that might, or might not, be running and are quite likely from experience to be disabled on Windows updates. I can now browse any machine (2 * Win10 and 1 * Peppermint 10) from any other. My only reservation is that the Windows machines have SMB1 enabled which is less than ideal but in a home network I don't see is a major issue.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:49:12 am »
Hi Bear,

If you are satisfied that your issue has been resolved please go back to your first message in this thread and add (SOLVED) to the beginning or end of the Subject: line. This would help any others having network protocol issues to see quickly that a solution has been found in this thread.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Network protocols and utilities (Solved)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:57:50 pm »
Changing a few settings in one of my Windows machines had everything springing into life. This article https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf lists a collection of services needed for networking that might, or might not, be running and are quite likely from experience to be disabled on Windows updates. I can now browse any machine (2 * Win10 and 1 * Peppermint 10) from any other. My only reservation is that the Windows machines have SMB1 enabled which is less than ideal but in a home network I don't see is a major issue.

Cool, glad you were able to find the cure. Now if they could just find a cure for this COVID-19, we'll all be happy.
What was I thinking?