Author Topic: LibreOffice becoming way too sluggish  (Read 642 times)

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
LibreOffice becoming way too sluggish
« on: December 18, 2019, 08:13:55 am »
Has anyone else noticed how slow LibreOffice has become of late? I really recommend a much snappier alternative, Softmaker's FreeOffice: https://www.freeoffice.com/en/download
You can learn a lot from a dummy (that would be ME).:P

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: LibreOffice becoming way too sluggish
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 09:11:02 am »
What you have to remember though, is that every app now has to be reconfigured for GTK3 whether or not it makes a huge difference?? :-\ Technology especially in the office world is constantly moving on, so the more stuff added to apps like Libreoffice to keep up with the backwards compatibility with Office 365 or just plain old MS Office, must be an absolute pain to keep it going? Then of course you have all the different types of Linux Environments from Ubuntu all the way to free BSD let alone just Normal BSD, for apps to cater for. Yes I know BSD is completely different, but Free BSD has more Linuxy stuff inside it's programming. You will find more and more apps getting sluggish over time, but get a SSD and wait for your apps and OS to settle in and you'll see a huge difference or a M.2 drive, which runs off of your motherboard power. Amazing how Linux no matter how old or new the tech it's installed on and especially here in the Pep it just settles in and says yes to everything, within reason, without bawking, whining or just ending up with a spinning mouse in the middle of your screen, leaving the user with a frozen desktop like in Windows. I have what is known as a mid range gaming machine Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB of DDR4 3200 Ram, Nvidia 1660. I can game and decode or encode a video, open up at least twenty odd tabs in Firefox, all at the same time and Pep never gripes just gets on with it. Yet they call my build a mid range? It will out live me and last me twenty odd years if I live that long.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
Which version of LibreOffice are you talking about ? .. and on which version of Peppermint ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (64 Bit)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:16:03 am »
I've not noticed any slow down or sluggishness of Libre Office and I'm using a computer from 2007.

Peppermint 10 (64 bit)
LibreOffice Version: 6.0.7.3
“Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” - Mark Twain