Choose style:

Author Topic: Nemo update in Peppermint OS 9 (SOLVED)  (Read 279 times)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Nemo update in Peppermint OS 9 (SOLVED)
« on: August 14, 2019, 08:56:55 am »
Hello Everyone,

Recently in fact this morning installed Peppermint 9 back on my machine, as having to pick out the correct Kernel in grub the 4.18-25, as getting weird pops and buzz using the 5.0.0-25 kernel and the 5.0.0-23 too. Yes I could of just uninstalled it, but every time I did it still said it was installed in grub.  As I installed Peppermint Nine I opened Nemo and thought blooming heck I forgot the icons were smaller on this version of Nemo. So you know what my question is going to be? Is there a way of updating to the current version of Nemo that's in Peppermint 10? I know there probably isn't without installing Peppermint 10 altogether, but just thought I'd ask. I also know that Peppermint 10 has different infrastructure altogether, but so happy am I that the themes from Ten work in Peppermint Nine. Like the old saying goes, you never know till you ask.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:33:08 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Nemo update in Peppermint OS 9
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:12:07 pm »
Well if all you're bothered about is keeping the PM9 kernel, you have 2 options....

a) Follow the instructions to update PM9 to PM10 but stop before installing the HWE .. in fact the manual upgrade instructions suggest you DON'T add the HWE (unless you have some hardware that actually 'requires' the newer kernel):
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

or

b) Just add this PPA which only contains Nemo 4.0.6 and a couple of the updated Xapps
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mark-pcnetspec/nemo-406
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(that's the PPA I used to test Nemo 4.0.6 when I was building PM10, so it's definitely the same version)

Personally I'd go with option A but your call
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:58:05 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Nemo update in Peppermint OS 9
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 06:40:08 am »
Well if all you're bothered about is keeping the PM9 kernel, you have 2 options....

a) Follow the instructions to update PM9 to PM10 but stop before installing the HWE .. in fact the manual upgrade instructions suggest you DON'T add the HWE:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

or

b) Just add this PPA which only contains Nemo 4.0.6 and a couple of the updated Xapps
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mark-pcnetspec/nemo-406

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(that's the PPA I used to test Nemo 4.0.6 when I was building PM10, so it's definitely the same version)

Personally I'd go with option A but your call

I went with option A and everything is tickety Boo. I noticed yesterday whilst installing Pep 9 Nvidia 430 drivers are in the Additional Drivers, so there was no need to add PPA fantastic. Many Many thanks Mark Have marked my original post as (SOLVED)  ;D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Nemo update in Peppermint OS 9 (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:56:15 am »
Yep, the Proprietary GPU Drivers PPA is no longer necessary to get nvidia-430 in Peppermint 9 and 10 :)

In fact in the PM10 respin (due soon), 430 will be automagically installed during installation if you choose the "Install additional software and drivers" option .. obviously only where you have an actual supported nvidia card (or optimus setup).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:59:24 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 09:42:34 am »
Mark is Nemo only updated in a new release of Peppermint and if so why?
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 12:09:16 pm »
Yes, because it's an integral part of the DE and could render the machine unusable (for most) should an update go wrong.
(and things like lib incompatibility through use of PPA's make this a distinct possibility)

There is also MUCH more to nemo integration than just releasing an updated nemo package .. there's all the plugins, the desktop (which is also handled by nemo) and a lot of other apps that have been modified to work with this specific version.
(and possibly things like user added nemo action scripts, etc. that we'd not be able to test against a new nemo version)

Unless there's a security concern there's absolutely no reason we should risk user experience/stability updating such an integral part of the DE.

AFAIK this is normal for every distro (not just us, and not just nemo) .. core DE components are rarely updated 'mid-life' .. Mint don't backport newer versions of nemo to older releases (for example Mint 19.1 will not get 19.2's newer version of nemo).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 03:05:00 am »
Yep, the Proprietary GPU Drivers PPA is no longer necessary to get nvidia-430 in Peppermint 9 and 10 :)

In fact in the PM10 respin (due soon), 430 will be automagically installed during installation if you choose the "Install additional software and drivers" option .. obviously only where you have an actual supported nvidia card (or optimus setup).

The 430 drivers come down really quickly too, used to take at least eight minutes to install Nvidia drivers like the 396 ones for instance, had time to make a cuppa coffee before they came down.  ;D

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 04:54:29 am »
Yes, because it's an integral part of the DE and could render the machine unusable (for most) should an update go wrong.
(and things like lib incompatibility through use of PPA's make this a distinct possibility)

There is also MUCH more to nemo integration than just releasing an updated nemo package .. there's all the plugins, the desktop (which is also handled by nemo) and a lot of other apps that have been modified to work with this specific version.
(and possibly things like user added nemo action scripts, etc. that we'd not be able to test against a new nemo version)

Unless there's a security concern there's absolutely no reason we should risk user experience/stability updating such an integral part of the DE.

AFAIK this is normal for every distro (not just us, and not just nemo) .. core DE components are rarely updated 'mid-life' .. Mint don't backport newer versions of nemo to older releases (for example Mint 19.1 will not get 19.2's newer version of nemo).

Thanks for explaining ;)
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.