Choose style:

Author Topic: Need help understanding screen saver/blanker/locker settings/behavior - (SOLVED)  (Read 133 times)

Offline DaveVM

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Folks,

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere, and you may be able to point me in right direction. Using Pep 10 here.

I use the screen saver/blanker/locker, whatever you prefer to call it and have it set through the Power mangement settings to blank and lock the screen after 10 minutes.

Which it faithfully does if I login. If I walk away from the computer and get distracted, you know how life has a way of getting in the way of life, it will blank and lock the screen, to include turning off the screens back light, which is good.

Now if the mouse is moved/bumped by me or the cat the screen wakes and presents the login screen, good so far, however, if I do not login the login screen will stay on indefinetly. Not good! In my thinking it too should blank to inlcude turning off the screens back light based on the Power management settings.

What is it I'm missing?

Thank You, Take Care and Enjoy!
Dave 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:07:05 pm by DaveVM »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Need help understanding screen saver/blanker/locker settings/behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:26:57 am »
You could try editing the file:
Code: [Select]
sudo xed /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-screen-blanking-disable.conf
and change it to say
Code: [Select]
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "blank time" "10"
Option "StandbyTime" "10"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "10"
EndSection
SAVE the file and reboot.

Hopefully it'll turn off now after 10 mins no matter what.

Or you could simply delete that file altogether, as without it I'm pretty sure xorg default to blanking after 10 mins anyway.
(this file is just overriding the default behaviour)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:29:55 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DaveVM

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Need help understanding screen saver/blanker/locker settings/behavior
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:06:37 pm »
@ PCNetSpec

Thank You! That works.

I played with it for a while, and found out the following; if I set the time in the file 50-screen-blanking-disable.conf to 1 minute for the options the Log In screen would show for 1 minute then blank/lock, which is good as more than that I don't need to Log In.

Then after Logging In and then setting the time in the Power Management area for the display to 10 minutes, the screen would then blank/lock after 10 minutes of inactivity. Again excellent as this gives me the ability to get a drink and so forth and still have the screen on when I get back.

Now I did not try setting the time in the 50-screen-blanking-disable.conf file to a longer period than the time set in the Power Management area for the display. As a longer time set in the .conf file may over ride the time set by the user in their Power Management settings.

Note that each time I made a change to any of the settings I did a complete shut down and reboot.

This might also be useful for others who have high electricity rates.

Thank You, Take Care & Enjoy!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Glad I could help and that you found settings that suit.

Thanks for marking the topic (SOLVED) :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec