Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows Defender Renamed to Microsoft Defender ATP - Coming to Mac & Linux  (Read 543 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Brace yourself guys.

Microsoft is going to release its Windows Defender ATP antivirus software for Mac computers.

Sounds crazy, right? But it’s true.

Microsoft Thursday announced that the company is bringing its anti-malware software to Apple’s
macOS operating system as well—and to more platforms soon, like Linux.

ARTICLE: Microsoft Announces Windows Defender ATP Antivirus for Mac

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
 :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
IKR  :)

I *think* the reason they're bringing it to Linux, is for Enterprise environments. Business IT admins are paranoid that way.

It's the only thing that makes (a little) sense to me...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Okay I've considered your reasoning and.....

:-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Yes! I've always dreamed of having that useless program on Linux. Oh, thank you Microsoft!

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Okay, well, in our Enterprise environment, for instance, while some of the networking is segmented, a lot of it isn't. Most of the devices are on the same network.

We have a NOC in the corner of the building, connected to a fiber ring around the country. Inside the building, we have every kind of device connected to our network - IOS, Android, Windows XP to Windows 10 PCs, Macs, proprietary machinery controllers, VoIP phones, blah, blah, blah.

If we have any Linux machines running in the building, other than the NOC, I would be surprised, but I can guarantee you that IT wouldn't allow them, without some sort of protection.

MS is branching out. Why not include Linux in a cross-platform solution?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
It is nice to see Microsoft branching out. It's just odd, given that 20 years ago they wanted to bring down Linux simply for existing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I was kidding .. I can see the use for it on say a Linux mail/file/application server that services Windows clients.

That said, it's considered crap in the Windows world, so....

[EDIT]

I'm not shooting it down JUST because it's Microsoft, in fact I'm all FOR their involvement .. as long as it doesn't come at a cost, they've a LOT of distrust to overcome, and that's their own fault.

In other words - I'm still to be convinced their new 'love of Linux' doesn't have EEE overtones, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but we'll need to keep a close eye on their 'contributions' and 'motives'.

Remember, THEY invented the phrase/philosophy:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:12:28 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile

The thing is, it doesn't really do much, at least not for the home user. It's supposed to protect you against malware, which is a noble goal and, if it worked like it should, then I'd be all for it. However, considering that Windows is infected with malware right and left with it installed and running correctly, I'd say it doesn't work. You still have to install other software to protect you against malware, spyware and viruses. And, if you deactivate Windows Defender, the OS whines at you even if you've installed other (better) anti malware software.

To be honest, most of Microsoft's default tools suck. The OS itself works fine for running (compatible) software, but most of the default software that runs within the OS is terrible. (the stuff you can't uninstall) Edge, the Windows media software, even the friggin' image viewer. It's all junk. There are much better alternatives out there. Defender is on that list of default software that just sucks. So, no I don't want crap Windows software on my Linux OS. Others may feel differently about it, but that's my stance.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:51:54 am by scifidude79 »

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
I was kidding .. I can see the use for it on say a Linux mail/file/application server that services Windows clients.

[EDIT]

I'm not shooting it down JUST because it's Microsoft, in fact I'm all FOR their involvement .. as long as it doesn't come at a cost, they've a LOT of distrust to overcome, and that's their own fault.

In other words - I'm still to be convinced their new 'love of Linux' doesn't have EEE overtones, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but we'll need to keep a close eye on their 'contributions' and 'motives'.

Remember, THEY invented the phrase/philosophy:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
EEE just like they've done to Nokia, Symbian and Maemo/Meego...

I'm missing my N900...
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
I kept skipping this post, cause I thought it was an early April Fools joke, but really it is coming. Why in all things stupid, do we need this? I know that Microsoft bought their seat on the board at Linux, but is this just an idea of theirs, to see it actually work properly in Linux and Mac? Because I really believe that it would work properly, the way it was intended in Linux anyway. But the question is, why?   :-\ I forgot to add also, that it would work here in Linux, cause we have not got all those stupid back doors, that Winders does.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:42:47 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd be more inclined to think it'll bring Linux down to their level .. any AV must run as root (otherwise it wouldn't have permission to work outside your home folder) and therefore could become an attack vector in its own right.

Also notice nowhere in that article (unless I missed it) does it say Microsoft Defender will be open source, so basically they're asking for root permission of your system where you have no idea what the code is doing .. you decide.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd be more inclined to think it'll bring Linux down to their level .. any AV must run as root (otherwise it wouldn't have permission to work outside your home folder) and therefore could become an attack vector in its own right.

Also notice nowhere in that article (unless I missed it) does it say Microsoft Defender will be open source, so basically they're asking for root permission of your system where you have no idea what the code is doing .. you decide.

I never thought of that, that's scary, but then Linux is all about choice so it'll be down to the user. I can see there being more and more Linux vulnerabilities, people complaining, about all sorts of nasties getting in, but the Kernel is full of security and no doubt Linus Torvalds would have to write something else into the Kernel to prevent this Defender program from letting in anything. In fact don't put it on your Linux system anyway, is the recommendation I will give, when it gets released.  ;D

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
It also says in the article, bringing it to other platforms soon like Linux, that is not a definite, hopefully not.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I know that Microsoft bought their seat on the board at Linux...

Just one of the reasons why I also run NetBSD  ;)
...without Linux emulation, just plain BSD.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:11:02 am by pin »