Choose style:

Author Topic: Asus Just Gave You 1 Million Reasons To Switch From Windows To Linux  (Read 1694 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Asus Just Gave You 1 Million Reasons To Switch From Windows To Linux
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 12:33:25 pm »
I have a several-yeat-old Toshiba that I  inherited from my late Father, Which bloatware programs should I do away with?

ALL OF IT ;))
(possibly including Windows)

Basically anything that starts with "Toshiba" and anything that asks for a subscription such as Norton/McAfee/M$ Office/etc., but that's likely not all the crapware they bung on, some of it will be buried deep.

As scifidude79 suggests, often the easiest way is a nuke and pave.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 12:53:09 pm »
This also reminds me of the Lenovos's superfish "fiasco".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfish

These companies... They're not only damaging the user experience of their products, sometimes they're selling computers with pre installed viruses.

If possible, stay away from windows. Even if you can get it installed to a bearable use, you'll have a hard time to keep it secure and updated.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 02:10:16 pm »
@peppycrab

I have a several-yeat-old Toshiba that I  inherited from my late Father, Which bloatware programs should I do away with?

ALL OF IT ;))
(possibly including Windows)

Basically anything that starts with "Toshiba" and anything that asks for a subscription such as Norton/McAfee/M$ Office/etc., but that's likely not all the crapware they bung on, some of it will be buried deep.

As scifidude79 suggests, often the easiest way is a nuke and pave.

You can get rid of Toshiba's bloatware if you reinstall Windows 10 without Toshiba's help.  I used the Windows 10 installation media tool after reading this article from Forbes.  I have one installation of Windows 10 running on a Toshiba Satellite C70-A, and I installed it locally without using a Microsoft account.  All that said, Windows 10 still tried to install lots of bloatware on the my computer.  So now whenever I see a new program in the Windows 10 menu, I uninstall it.  That's how I get rid of the bloatware in Windows 10. 

I run Peppermint 9 off an external hard drive attached to my Toshiba Satellite laptop.  It's set to boot Peppermint first, of course! ;)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:12:19 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum