Choose style:

Author Topic: ICE with Falkon or Midori?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
ICE with Falkon or Midori?
« on: February 02, 2019, 03:56:21 am »
Any plans to allow ICE to work with either of the lightweight browsers Falkon or Midori?

Both those browsers lack the bells and whistles of Chromium, Firefox, or VIvaldi.  On the other hand, I used those two rather a lot on my Samsung Netbook with its maxed out 2GB RAM.

Anyway, just a thought.  I thought it would be nice if ICE could be made to work with those light weight browsers.
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: ICE with Falkon or Midori?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 07:05:02 am »
In the short term I'm afraid not.

a) Midori chose to disable the --app= option .. their devs said they'd re-enabled it but when I tested it still wasn't present.

b) Falkon (if I'm reading this right) is a Qt app

c) AFAIK they're both distributed as snap/flatpak only .. and I currently have no appetite for figuring out the foibles of either.

Maybe in the future, but not right now I'm afraid .. ICE is designed primarily for Peppermint, others are free to use it but it's designed primarily with Peppermint in mind and we're unlikely to ever ship with (or want to show any support for) either of those browsers whilst they're snap/flatpak only.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 04:38:11 am »
Gallon is a great browser. Indeed, it's qt and aimed for KDE Plasma desktop. It could probably be the default browser for Lubuntu or any other LXQT desktop aimed distro.

It's in the Ubuntu repositories for 18.10, so for 18.04 LTS you'd have to use snaps or flatpaks.

It would be another great addition to ICE. Just saying...
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 05:10:48 am »
Apparently "--app=" is now working in Midori, so there's a chance we'll add a Midori option to ICE.

Thanks to murraymint for pointing that out :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec