Choose style:

Author Topic: Mic input volume control  (Read 519 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Mic input volume control
« on: November 23, 2018, 06:43:19 pm »
Hello Peppermint people. I have a problem with my mic input volume control that is driving whoever I'm talking to crazy. A loud screech appears when the volume goes up above 40%, which it does on it's own. Most people prefer to just hang up or otherwise discontinue the video chat. I can watch it with pusle audio control open to input devices. I do not see or know of an adjustment I can make to control this.  This happens even with Skype disabled and it's auto mic setting disabled. Also, how can I enable the rear mic to be selected at boot? Everytime I reboot, Volume Control sets the front mic on. Oddly enough , Pusle Audio shows the rear mic as unplugged, which it is plugged in. What can I do?  :-\
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Mic input volume control
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:46:24 pm »
Are you and/or the other person listening using non-voice activated mics, and speakers instead of headphones ?

because that sounds like a classic feedback loop to me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:48:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec, I don't know the difference between voice activated and non-voice activated but yes w both use the speakers to listen or the telephone  handset of the receiver.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:02:50 pm »
Okay, a voice activated mic kills itself when you're not speaking to stop feedback

A mic that's always on and using speakers that the mic can hear can set up a feedback loop .. where any noise coming from the speakers is picked up by the mic, goes through the amplifier which then pumps it back out of the speakers a microsecond later, and it's again picked up by the mic .. ad infinitum .. a feedback loop.

The feedback loop can also be where YOU speak, it comes out of the other guys speakers, and is picked up by his mic .. is transmitted back to your PC where it gets pushed out of your speakers and back into your mic, back to his PC .. you can see where this is again a loop right ?

Ideally you'd both use voice activated mics, but where this isn't possible you need to isolate the speakers from the mic .. best done by using headphones instead of speakers, or as you suggest dedicated handsets (which **should** be designed to dampen feedback).

The only other cause may be if the mic/speakers are too close to the sound chip itself which can also set up a magnet feedback loop .. if this is the case, try turning down your mic (input), and getting him to turn up his output.

You'll both have to experiment, because these solutions are often mutually exclusive .. by that I mean if it's a feedback between your mic and his speakers, turning up his speakers (as in the last scenario) may make it worse.

Experiment - try turning off your speakers for a bit and talk .. then ask the guy if the squealing stopped .. obviously you'll need to turn them back on to hear his reply.

If that made no difference, try it the other way around .. ask him to turn off his mic when you speak, and see if that helped.

if neither of those worked, it's most likely all at your end and you need to distance your mic from your PC (and preferably anything with a strong magnetic field.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 05:21:36 pm »
I tried using headphones with the speakers off on my end. Mybe it has to do with background noise like a fan that is on 24hrs. Any ideas why Pulseaudio is showing my mic as being plugged into front mic connection?
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 07:33:48 pm »
ask your friend to do the same (speakers off, headphones on), and see if that solves the problem .. it's all a process of elimination.

Any ideas why Pulseaudio is showing my mic as being plugged into front mic connection?

is this a laptop ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec