Choose style:

Author Topic: "Non pae" sucessfull install!! (SOLVED)  (Read 7127 times)

Offline chubbychops

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
"Non pae" sucessfull install!! (SOLVED)
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:39:04 pm »
Code: [Select]
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5825

I thought it would be useful to post a link to the old forums for this topic on installing peppermint 4 on a dell d505 m cpu

It involved running a live session  of " The Lubuntu Grub 'N' Iso" by 9wiklund and  replacing the lubuntu.iso with the peppermint 4 iso (after renaming it to lubuntu.iso )
Then u click on install after rebooting from the desktop and u end up with peppermint4 installed.

I'm going to try it with peppermint 5 to see if will still work.
Warning!!
This Lubuntu Raring 'grub-n-iso’ system is only intended for Pentium M and Celeron M, that have PAE capability but no PAE flag.
Though if u google about fake pae ,there are ways this might work on other non pae computers.
=====================================================================================
edit:
some new info i just noticed:
Code: [Select]
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2151890

i haven't checked whether u can use lubuntu trusty tahr  with forced pae to do something similar ,but it looks like it might be possible to install peppermint 5
on a non pae computer using this newer release.
==========================================================
does anyone know if u can use the 'force pae' boot optionwith peppermint 5 ?
it would save a lot of fiddling ,if it's possible.
=====================================
EDIT UPDATE;
I used my old Lubuntu-13.04-desktop-grub-n-iso-n-swap.img to install peppermint 5 .
use Win32DiskImager-0.9.5-install.exe to write the Lubuntu-13.04-desktop-grub-n-iso-n-swap.img to a usb.
first i booted up to a live session of Lubuntu-13.04-desktop-grub-n-iso-n-swap        and then i replaced the the lubuntu.iso with the peppermint5 iso
you have to rename it to lubuntu.iso and  overwrite the one in isodevice folder (open the folder as root so it will overwrite the original lubuntu.iso)

then reboot with the  usb stick and you can run peppermint live and install it if u want.

This is for a dell d505 M cpu . 

p.s....u might need an extra usb stick to have the renamed peppermint.iso on ,so u can easily copy it across.

p.p.s...Peppermint 5 looks lovely on an old Dell d505 ,Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:24:44 pm by chubbychops »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: "Non pae" sucessfull install!! (SOLVED)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:51:38 pm »
Thanks for that, nice to know the grub'n'iso method still works, but what caught my attention the most was your second link.

It contains the info that 14.04 (and therefore Peppermint 5) now has a "forcepae" kernel boot parameter :)

That should make installing Peppermint 5 on Pentium/Celeron 'M' processors ridiculously easy :)

Nice...
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec