Choose style:

Author Topic: Numlockx  (Read 2931 times)

Online emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Numlockx
« on: July 04, 2014, 03:38:08 pm »
Hi Guys

Hope this doesn't come across a a stupid question, but a while ago I asked if it was possible to have numlockx run at startup by default and was informed that it wouldn't be a good idea as it causes weird issues with laptops which i understand and accept, so I was wondering would it be possible to add it as a feature in the new Control Centre (obviously switched off by default) so that those with desktop PC's who wanted it could easily turn it on

Just a thought :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Numlockx
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »
and was informed that it wouldn't be a good idea as it causes weird issues with laptops which i understand and accept,
Ain't that the truth, I installed a distro once that had it on by default on my laptop, and I couldn't get online cause every time I typed a letter on the right hand side of the keyboard it came up as a number instead....   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
Nothing stopping you installing it yourself ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:20:42 pm »
Nothing stopping you installing it yourself

Sorry i didn't really explain that well. I have it installed and it works ok, what I meant was to have it run on boot so that the number pad was on at login, I maybe in minority here but I never use the number keys at the top of the keyboard and as my password has numbers in it I constantly find my self typing on the number pad forgetting it isn't switched on

I know it's not so much a problem as an annoyance but I just wondered how others felt and if it would be a worthwhile feature in the Control Centre

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:07:09 pm »
I agree it would be a nice addition to the control panel .. as long as it's OFF by default ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:56 am »
I'll add this to the extremely long list of things to look into for the Control Center.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.