Choose style:

Author Topic: Chromebooks? Any thoughts concerning them?  (Read 10954 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Chromebooks? Any thoughts concerning them?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:08:53 am »
Thanks zoolkeeper.  Yesterday PCNetSpec showed me how to back up ChromeOS too.  I appreciate this information from both of you.

I'm thinking that my wife, Mrs. perknh, is a perfect candidate for a Chromebook.  She doesn't like Windows, and she doesn't use Skype, and she does everything through the browser.  And, when it comes to updating... well, Mrs. perknh has me do all of that too.

During this last summer we became a Windows-free household, and Peppermint and Android are the primary Linux systems we use here. (Actually, Mrs. perknh uses Android, not me.  My job is only to fix her Android devices if something goes wrong them!) What I've noticed when putting Peppermint on our Toshiba laptop Windows computers is that the Wi-Fi doesn't come in as well as the Android devices do.  So these are the primary reasons why I believe Mrs. perknh would be best served by owning and using a decent Chromebook.

But, all and all, Peppermint 5 work flawlessly for us.  So good in fact, I hardly have ever any problems to report.

zoolkeeper, I am finding your reports on your thoughts and experiences with your Chromebook very interesting.  Please keep them coming.

Thank you.

perknh

P.S.

And here's a fun discussion, on YouTube, between Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine and François Beaufort about Chromebook's stable, beta, and dev channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bDTDsfXGk
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:38:31 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline zoolkeeper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:49 am »
Had a glitch last night, went to order a 32Gb Msata SSD chip and found the "normal" ones do not fit the C720 Chomebooks. What you need to get is a M2 (NGFF) SSD which is slightly different. I have now ordered a 128Gb one from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/128GB-ZTC-Armor-Solid-ZTC-SM201-128G/dp/B00IZNYDBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1411569520&sr=1-1&keywords=NGFF+Solid+State+Disk

Im away this weekend, so hoping it arrives soon, I will try next weekend to restore ChomeOS onto it and then Peppermint 5

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 10:58:16 am »
Hello zoolkeeper,

While you're going through the University of Hard Knocks learning the particular ins and outs of Chomebooks;  we, in Peppermint forum, are learning a lot from your experiences.

I may end up doing what you're doing here -- upgrading the hard drive -- when, or if, I get my wife a Chromebook next Christmas.

After Halloween, some newer tech stuff should be appearing on the shelves of Walmart, Best Buy, and Staples over here.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

Here's an interesting article about Chromebooks, from PCWorld, entitled 5 powerful things you didn't know Chromebooks could do by Chris Hoffman:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2691209/5-powerful-things-you-didnt-know-chromebooks-could-do.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:24:05 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 08:36:53 am »
The MacBook Eclipsed: Best Chromebook Picks

By Brooke Crothers ,  a contributor to Forbes

Despite being around since 2011 and despite being really cheap, the Chromebook has remained largely a niche product, popular in education settings and, to a smaller extent, business. But wait. Market researcher IDC now says laptops with the Chrome operating system eclipsed Apple’s Mac platform for the first time ever in the first quarter of this year. --Brooke Crothers

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2016/05/23/the-macbook-eclipsed-best-chromebook-options/#2ebac8c74047

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 09:24:00 pm »
Hi perknh ,

I'm sharing some of youtube videos they may be help for you.

Acer Chromebook C720 Review

HP Chromebook 11: Unboxing & Review

How to Install Linux on Chromebook

Install Ubuntu 14.04 on Chromebook

http://www.davebennett.tech/install-ubuntu-14-04-on-chromebook/

Install Linux On A Chromebook!

These Chromebooks are available in ARM and X86 boards. I think Peppermint 6 is not support ARM motherboards may be Peppermint 7.  The above videos showing how to install Ubuntu their may be some steps are different for Peppermint Linux Which I don't know? I don't found any tutorial which tell how to install Peppermint Linux on Chromebooks. I think we should have one tutorial on this topic in this forum. Can somebody do this who knows enough on this concept. 

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 08:43:23 am »
Hi rajeev2631007,

Take a look at this link.  lend27 achieved Superstar status from AndyInMokum in Pepprmint forum for writing a tutorial which shows us how to install Peppermint 6 to a Chromebook!  It's an amazing tutorial ;)

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2173.msg21083.html#msg21083

My wife, mrs.perknh, HAS a Acer Chromebook C720.  In the evening, I can't separate her from the thing.  The thing just goes and goes and goes nonstop.  I've never seen anything get the use that Acer C720 has gotten.  She told me a couple of nights ago that she always wants to have a handy little Chromebook, an Android smartphone, and a laptop computer --to run Peppermint Linux OS, of course!  ;)

I also have a friend here who goes back decades with computers, but since he gotten a Toshiba 2 Chromebook, he's pretty much turned his Windows computer into music server of sorts.  He's nearly forgotten about his Windows computer since he got a Chromebook.  He, too, has to have his Chromebook and his Android smartphone.  But, unlike my wife who only uses Linux, I suspect my friend could live without his Windows computer now.

I usually go to McDonald's a couple times a week for morning coffee.  There's a fellow there, who I see quite frequently, busy with a Chromebook.  And, I have another friend, a senior citizen, he has his 15" Acer Chromebook.  This is his second Chromebook:  His first was an 11" Samsung Chromebook.

I was in Wal-Mart last year in the early Fall --at the beginning of school shopping  I, along with mrs.perknh, saw a group of middle school/high school girls shopping.  I thought to myself, this is the group to ask about Chromebooks.  I asked, "Girls, do you know about Chromebooks?"  Oh, yeah.  Their heads were all nodding.  When I told them that my wife had a Chromebook, I could see that my wife had suddenly become part of the in crowd.  And, finally, our public schools have bought Chromebooks, as has my public library.  Chromebooks are all over this place right now.

What a phenomenon!  The world is going Chromebook crazy!! :)

perknh
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:30:15 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:51 am »
I think they should be sued under the consumer protection act .. they're neither Chrome or a Book.

Is it possible to buy a chrome chromebook ? .. I bet it is, somewhere...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:05:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:45 am »
I don't know, sounds like heavy reading to me, Mark. :))

Seriously, I see no point and have never seen a point to Chromebooks.  I mean, it's a computer where the entire OS literally runs from a web browser.  So, I'd imagine it always has to be online.  Why?  What's the use?  If you want something portable, look at Android.  At least it can run stuff offline.  Even putting Linux on a Chromebook is pointless to me because the drives are always so tiny.  Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:09:02 am by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 11:40:14 am »
I don't know, sounds like heavy reading to me, Mark. :))

:))  Too much of it for sure!  ;)

If you want something portable, look at Android.  At least it can run stuff offline.  Even putting Linux on a Chromebook is pointless to me because the drives are always so tiny.  Just my two cents.

Android apps are coming to a Chromebook near you really soon.  Whether or not they be able to run offline, I don't know.  :-\

Source: 

It’s official: Android apps are coming to Chromebooks

By Jimmy Westenberg for ANDROID AUTHORITY

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-apps-on-chromebooks-693696/

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »
I have a tablet and a phone for running those.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 07:44:53 am »
First batch of Chromebooks reach End Of Life and get no more support or updates

By Mark Wilson for betanews

http://betanews.com/2016/06/10/google-chromebook-end-of-life/

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:55 am »
It's OK.  If you have an "end of life" Chromebook no longer receiving security updates, you can always just disable the Internet and use it purely as an offline computer.  Oh, that's right, you can't do that.

Well, there's always Linux, assuming it has a large enough SSD to take a Linux distro.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 11:36:37 am »
Hi All

Hang on a minute.  Say $250 to buy it 5 years ago - that's $50 a year and that's less than $1 a week for computing power.

What's the problem here ? Especially as it still works - they just wont update it any more, security wise.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 11:40:45 am »
It's a bit like Ubuntu selling you a computer with 12.04 installed. but when 12.04 reaches EOL you can't upgrade to (or install) 14.04 or 16.04, etc.

Heck even Microsoft don't (beyond making Windows ever hungrier) obsolete hardware like that.

I'm a bit baffled by this .. if ChromeOS uses the Linux kernel to access the hardware, and the kernel isn't dropping hardware/driver support .. how are they able to (and why would they want to) disable software updates for specific hardware ?
(security updates should be hardware independent, the kernel does all the translation between software and hardware  :-\ )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:44:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 10:30:23 pm »
My laptop is from 2012 and cost me a bit more than a low end Chromebook from the time. (understandable, as it has more power) If you told me that I couldn't keep using it safely next year just because it's five years old, I'd be mad.  Of course, it has Peppermint installed, so no worries there, but the point remains the same.  Running a system with out of date security on the internet is a really bad idea.