Choose style:

Author Topic: Father Time [SOLVED]  (Read 2914 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Father Time [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 02:24:20 pm »
Just for reference here's a page dedicated Ubuntu time management with a section on dual boot conflicts

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime

The funny thing is, this all started as another one of my quirks -- time, so called.

I'm a 'detail guy' and I can't stand inaccurate timepieces. That's all I was concerned with -- the damn RTC clock in this Dell being several hours advanced, after every reboot.  It bugged me soooo much that I went to the trouble of procuring a new mobo and installing into my 1-month old Dell refurb. 

Now, that's a true obcession.   LoL !   :D

After having the same prob with the new mobo, it narrowed down the possibilities considerably, so it wasn't a total waste of time n' money.  But, it did leave me scratching my head, until you steered me down the right path.

Who would have guessed that Linux machines summarily *assume* that you have your RTC set to UTC ?

And, who would have guessed that THIS Dell allows Linux to reset the RTC to UTC time ?

I have three Dell machines -- a 7010 desktop PC, and two D-series laptops.  This 7010 is the only one that allows Linux to sync the RTC to UTC time.  My *guess* is -- with this PC being a 'business machine' -- it's made to sync/change/reset the hardware RTC to NTP server time (either local network NTPs or over the web).

We have 10s of 1000s on these Dell 7010s in my workplace.  So, maybe they're a breed onto themselves.  I've never owned another computer, in my life, that's allowed the OS to change the RTC clock.  Evidently, some do and some don't, hence the articles you happened to run across.

If you look in the BIOS on this Dell 7010, there are whole sections devoted to allowing your IT department (for instance) to manipulate every aspect of these machines.  That way, they can maintain hundreds or thousands of these Dell PCs over their WAN, rather than having an IT at every property, and having to make changes to every PC, in every office, in every location, et cetera.

It only makes sense that syncing the RTC to whichever NTP would be included in the BIOS feature-set.   At least, that's my take on the situation.  ;)

Thx, again, for the heads-up, Graeme ! 

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 02:32:27 pm »
You know, I was just thinking ...

Now that we came up with a solution to the time 'problem', maybe we should move this thread to a public area.

Thoughts ???

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »
Considering it contains what some may see (if they don't read it all) as advice to swap battery/motherboard it may make more sense to wait until it comes up again.

My 2 cents .. but my other 2 cents (hey I'm rich) agrees with you so I'm easy either way (?)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 03:01:47 pm »
Yeah, it would definitely need to go into an 'advanced' sub with appropriate warnings, up front.

I don't think any of us have run across this before, in the wild, but it's not a unique situation, otherwise there wouldn't be so many meta search engine results, covering every UNIX/Linux distro imaginable.

I was thinking it might be a good way to suck some 'advanced' users into the site, that wouldn't normally visit here, but that could be a double-edged sword, too.

Kinda provides a good example of how well the team works together, too, without giving away any 'house' secrets for future releases -- things that normally go in this area of this forum.

It's an interesting read, in lots of ways, IMO.

I'm good with whatever you decide -- watch n' wait is okay, if you think that's best.   ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 05:43:57 pm »
It **has** come up before, and it was YOU that suggested the fix ;)
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4096.0.html
and it (UTC) came up in the beta test
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3479.0.html
but not lately .. I thought it may have been fixed by one of the many tzdata and ntpdate updates that I've seen come down .. obviously not.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 07:10:35 pm »
LoL !  just like Hansel & Gretel trying to find their way home by following breadcrumbs.

Ever feel like a puppeteer ?  I sometimes do ...

Okay, we'll investment in breadcrumb navigation and see how it goes.   8)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 10:22:37 am »
FIVE MONTHS LATER

As an ancillary note ...

The 'fix' is still working fine on my Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF business desktop machine.  And ...

I'm now in the process of baking a 'new' Dell Latitude E6430 professional laptop, and had to employ the same fix (above).

Same church, different pew !   This dual-boot Peppermint 7 / winders 10 Pro Latitude was acting the same as the OptiPlex.

Thanks again, Graeme  ;)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:47 am »
You're more than welcome Vin and lets be fair you did most of the hard graft yourself :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:02 am »
You did most of the hard graft yourself :)

Heh !  I'm like a Harley, sometimes.

You gotta kick me to start ...   ;D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 01:04:15 am »
You're more than welcome Vin and lets be fair you did most of the hard graft yourself :)

Graeme

Welcome to 2019

Had to haxor the RTC settings on my 'new' Dell Optiplex 7010 i7 dual-booter.  This time, Peppermint 9 / winders 7 Pro.

I didn't even make it 24 hours, before the changing clock times were driving me crazy  >:(

Thanks, again. Graeme!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:32:37 am by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 03:16:24 pm »
Just ask Microsoft to do it 'properly' .. I'm sure they'll listen, they're heavily user focussed.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 07:13:52 pm »
Ho, ho, hehe, hahahahahahaha. STOP IT!

My sides hurt. I can't breathe...   :D