Choose style:

Author Topic: Xenial Xerus  (Read 7974 times)

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Xenial Xerus
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 02:03:21 am »
I'm running Lubuntu right now and preparing to tweak the hell out of it.

Out of the box it's always been spartan, leaving plenty to desire and a ton to improve upon in Peppermint. I didn't always like LXDE but I'm certain I'll miss it in a few years. LXQT better be pretty solid by 2019.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 06:26:26 am »
I notice that Ubuntu doesn't have community edition of Deepin.  Also Deepin has dropped the GNOME Shell in favor of using HTML5.  This shows me how deceiving looks can be, or how versatile Linux is.  Deepin has also dropped Ubuntu as its base in favor of using Debian unstable.

Even if it looks like Gnome Shell, Deepin is not using the shell. They started off with the Shell, but encountered many problems as they tried to customize it to their needs (that could be one of the many reasons there are so many forks or alternatives to Gnome Shell: Cinnamon, Mate, Elementary OS' Pantheon, and Unity, among many others).

Similar to other projects Deepin went ahead and developed their own Shell which was simply called Deepin Desktop Environment. DDE is based on HTML5 and WebKit and uses a mix of QML and Go Language for different components. Core components of DDE include the desktop itself, the brand new launcher, bottom Dock, and the control center. --Swapnil Bhartiya 

I'm surprised that Ubuntu doesn't have a community dedicated to the Deepin desktop environment.  I'm wondering if I can put DDE on top of Peppermint.  :-\  I know many of us here like Xubuntu a lot, but, really, the best Xfce I've ever used was Peppermint with the Xfce DE.  It had everything I liked about Xubuntu, but with our minimalist set of tools and programs.  I had to swap out Xfce's menu in favor of the Whisker menu, and do a tweak here and there.  But honestly, Peppermint can be made into a peerless Xfce DE.  I really can't get over how good it proved to be.

I bet putting Deepin DE, or DDE, onto Peppermint, however, will be an entirely different ballgame.

If Manjaro has a community centered around DDE, I would think there would be people interested in doing the same over at Ubuntu with Xenial Xerus.

Source:  https://www.linux.com/news/deepin-linux-polished-distro-thats-easy-install-and-use
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 07:27:37 am »
perknh, what are the features you like about Deepin desktop? I tried it at some point last year but not for long. The dock-based ones just don't appeal to me in general.

Would this work? Don't try it on a critical installation first!
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-install-Deepin-DE-on-Ubuntu-15-04

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 08:17:24 am »
Running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 now on one of my test systems.

Installation is not as flawless as we (Pepper)Mint fans are used to, but overall it's not too bad. Language packs other than English aren't installed completely, you can't fine tune your keyboard layout (US Int. with dead keys here in NL). Blueman crashes, complaining about outdated packages -- which indicates that ticking the box 'download updates during installation' doesn't work, or only partly.

atp-get update + apt-get upgrade fixes about everything. The bluetooth manager might still crash later on (it did under Ubuntu MATE 15.10), but removing blueman will fix that too. My desktop doesn't have Bluetooth anyway.

If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 08:29:14 am »
It just goes to prove Caplvara its all about the kit. My install went flawlessly on both the UEFI Laptop and this desktop.

The good news is you were able to fix it fairly easily :)

Re-installed Peppermint too this morning as I had been messing about with wayyyyyy to many things  :P   but hey  thats how I learn.....
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »
perknh, what are the features you like about Deepin desktop? I tried it at some point last year but not for long. The dock-based ones just don't appeal to me in general.

Hi murraymint.

Unfortunately the dock is an essential characteristic of DDE (Deepin Desktop Environment), and I too am usually can do without docks.  That is, after I discovered Peppermint's Application Launch Bar, as well as a similiar approach within Xfce.  But I do make, however, an exception with Deepin.  Although I learned today that Deepin isn't actually using GNOME shell any longer, there is a GNOME feel to Deepin that is extremely user-friendly.  The idea of GNOME is all over Deepin's Launcher (found in the dock), and if you go to bottom right side, or corners, of Deepin with your cursor a panel opens up that is nothing less than spectacular.  It particularly has a marvelous clock, but is also so well organized that you can find nearly anything you want within that side panel too.  Also, for whatever reason, Deepin accommodates very fun icon styles by the way its dock and launcher work.  I find DDE to be a delightful user experience.

Would this work? Don't try it on a critical installation first!
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-install-Deepin-DE-on-Ubuntu-15-04

I'm going ask Leon8200 for his opinion on adding Deepin DE to Peppermint for my personal use.  I think it's going to be a vastly different animal than Xfce.  I suspect it's not going to be so easy.

perknh

P.S.

This two minute plus silent video does more justice to Deepin than I can say to you here.  I'm putting this link in code form so as to not distract this thread too much from its Xenial Xerus theme.  I am going to wander into Ubuntu's forum and see what I can find about the Deepin DE and 16.04.  I'm surprised I haven't heard of an Ubuntu Community edition for Deepin.  I know Deepin had some really rough around the edges for a long time, but it appears to me it;s improving over time.  Manjaro's DDE is the best edition I've seen so far.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmQ_6l5j-nI

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:14:13 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »
I've installed Xubuntu 16.04 LTS on a couple of spare partitions on my SSD.  All the appropriate tweaks have been done and it's symlinked to the /DATA partition.  So far, it's very boring.  It's behaving very well indeed.  Just what you'd expect from an LTS  ;).  I can't figure out why the devs always leave out Synaptic.  The software manager is horrible, but I expected that  :(.  I'm putting some spit and polish to the panel and desktop.  So that will be looking pretty nice in a day or so.  I've had to dump mousepad in favour of pluma.  I would have gone with gedit but they've screwed the new version of that up so badly - it be nasty  :-X.  The Xfce Terminal is now also gone.  I've been spoiled with Sakura.  I can't emphasize how lucky we are to have nemo as our file manager.  Xubuntu's Thunar is a toy in comparison.  There was some goofy stuff in Sound & Video, or whatever they call it.  That's been cleaned up.  Clementine 1.3 is now installed via the official ppa.  It's Qt, which is unfortunate but it also a great audio player.   It's nice to have LibreOffice 5.1.*.  That just needed adapting to my personal preferences.  This is where synaptic is so useful.  I really don't get it - INCLUDE SYNAPTIC  :-\!!   Yeah, other than the usual Ubuntu, Xubuntu unexplainable choices, my first impression of this LTS has to be really positive and upbeat  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:14:15 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 08:07:26 pm »
I'm running Lubuntu right now and preparing to tweak the hell out of it.

Yeah, me too  :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 08:53:25 pm »
I've had to dump mousepad in favour of pluma.  I would have gone with gedit but they've screwed the new version of that up so badly - it be nasty  :-X.

Pluma rulez & Gedit droolz !   I'm never looking back :D

Also, I think I'm probably the only person on this site that still uses Guayadeque - so no matter really - but it's been orphaned by anonbeat, and won't work with Xenial due to conflicting depends.  I could probably patch Guayadeque for Xenial, but it's being forked anyway, so why bother ?!?!?

All I use Guayadeque for is pod catching anyway - VLC for everything else.  In the meantime, I've been using gPodder as my pod client.  It works well enough in Xenial with appropriate symlinks.

Thought I would mention this, in case there are any other podcatchers out there ...   ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:03:07 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 09:25:18 pm »
I've had to dump mousepad in favour of pluma.  I would have gone with gedit but they've screwed the new version of that up so badly - it be nasty  :-X.

Pluma rulez & Gedit droolz !   I'm never looking back :D

Also, I think I'm probably the only person on this site that still uses Guayadeque - so no matter really - but it's been orphaned by anonbeat, and won't work with Xenial due to conflicting depends.  I could probably patch Guayadeque for Xenial, but it's being forked anyway, so why bother ?!?!?

All I use Guayadeque for is pod catching anyway - VLC for everything else.  In the meantime, I've been using gPodder as my pod client.  It works well enough in Xenial with appropriate symlinks.
 for ddd
Thought I would mention this, in case there are any other podcatchers out there ...   ;)
I love VLC for all my video stuff.  You just can't beat it.  For audio though it's pretty run of the mill IMHO.  I really like Clementine for that because it's really full featured, including a great podcatcher.  Those are my two "go to" media packages, along with Kodi.  I'm addicted to that  :P.  On my Acer Aspire One, before it died, I used DeaDBeeF.  For a lightweight audio player, that packs a mighty big punch  ;) .

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 11:17:51 pm »
I have to look into Pluma, Mousepad is a bit too barebones for me.  Near as I've been able to find, it doesn't even have a word wrap option.  That's straight Medieval.  The terminal doesn't bother me, I usually just use whatever is installed.  As long as Ctl + Alt + T brings it up, I'm a happy dude.  ;)  I hear you about the Software Manager and Synaptic, Andy.  I loathe the Software Manager and love Synaptic.  Fortunately, it's a quick Apt command away, but it would be nice if it was still included.  It's not like it takes up that much room on the .iso file.

LibreOffice 5.1 is definitely nice, and I too love VLC.  Fortunately, Xubuntu doesn't come with much I don't use.  I only had to remove Thunderbird, Pidgin and Parole.  The first two I don't use and Parole pales in comparison to VLC.  Everything else it comes with I like.

It definitely appears to be smooth and stable so far.  I'm looking forward to Mark finishing his Lubuntu tweaks so that we can see what that's like.  ;D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 04:10:09 am »
I have to look into Pluma, Mousepad is a bit too barebones for me.  Near as I've been able to find, it doesn't even have a word wrap option.  That's straight Medieval.  The terminal doesn't bother me, I usually just use whatever is installed.  As long as Ctl + Alt + T brings it up, I'm a happy dude.  ;)  I hear you about the Software Manager and Synaptic, Andy.  I loathe the Software Manager and love Synaptic.  Fortunately, it's a quick Apt command away, but it would be nice if it was still included.  It's not like it takes up that much room on the .iso file.

LibreOffice 5.1 is definitely nice, and I too love VLC.  Fortunately, Xubuntu doesn't come with much I don't use.  I only had to remove Thunderbird, Pidgin and Parole.  The first two I don't use and Parole pales in comparison to VLC.  Everything else it comes with I like.

It definitely appears to be smooth and stable so far.  I'm looking forward to Mark finishing his Lubuntu tweaks so that we can see what that's like.  ;D
So far the only oddities are the usual Power Manager disaster.  I'll switch over to the MATE one, as that's the lesser of all the evils on my machine.  Dropbox installs fine but won't display in the panel.  I've even tried putting an 25 second delay on startup. It just displays an icon with a crossed out circle that has no function.  MEGA on the other hand, installs and syncs perfectly.  Over the last week or so, the MEGA devs have been ironing out some issues I had with it.  They contacted me to tell me a new version of the updater was available.  MEGA now works like a charm.  I also can't understand why they haven't pre-installed GDebi.  Installing a .deb with the Software Manager is like trying to turn a light switch on with a 6 meter bamboo cane blindfolded.  GDebi along with Synaptic is a core utility in my book.  Do the devs expect a newbie to install a .deb from the CLI  :-\?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 04:14:55 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 09:23:44 am »
Wait, Gdebi isn't installed?!  *checks, sees it's true, rolls eyes::)  What are we, animals?

I never have a problem with the XFCE power manager.  But then, I set mine to basically not do anything.

I'm surprised there aren't any updates yet.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 12:06:21 pm »
GDebi along with Synaptic is a core utility in my book.

You can add Lintian to that list too, IMO.   :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 12:24:58 pm »
Wait, Gdebi isn't installed?!  *checks, sees it's true, rolls eyes::)  What are we, animals?

Can't speak for their devs, but ...

A lot of users - even experienced users - don't understand the difference between a warning and an error.

gdebi output tends to alarm new users to things that don't make any difference.  And, without the Lintian output (which needs to be installed separately) it's more or less useless for experienced users.  It's a all-or-nothing thing.

I *imagine* the devs leave this trio off the iso in order to save themselves a lot of support headaches, but who knows ?

Software 'Mangler' isn't any better IMO, but it's their call.  Choose your poison ...   ;)