Author Topic: This one will keep us on our toes Pepperminters  (Read 1930 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
This one will keep us on our toes Pepperminters
« on: November 09, 2015, 05:18:07 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh0S3ehr49Y MX-15 Beta 1

As per LHG... this is one seriously good offering.   It's not gonna displace Peppermint on my SSD but does join the ranks of Distro's to show people to help them find what they are looking for in Linux.

We will need to up our game to keep King of the Hill status  ;D

Ark at him  "We"  hehe but you get the picture I hope.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: This one will keep us on our toes Pepperminters
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »
I always liked MX-14, so I'd expect MX-15 to be good too .. that said, what in there do you think makes us need to up our game ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:02:42 pm »
[...]what in there do you think makes us need to up our game ?

It includes Iceweasel (evidently they switched to Fx now) and WiCD by default  :D

Other than that... meh !
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:07:46 pm by VinDSL »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:30:25 pm »
Sorry Mr Dizzl .. I know you'd like like it if we did, but we're not swapping to WiCD ;) .. NetworkManager works for most and is the de facto standard these days

Am I right in thinking WiCD doesn't auto reconnect very well (or at all) ? .. and  has problems with WPA/WPA2 Enterprise + TTLS ?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:44:22 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 09:08:10 pm »
Just pulling your leg...

NM works okay for me these days.  The only reason I stopped using NM was because of all the disconnects - on both wired & wifi, especially when I was playing around with tunneling into my website(s).

Nowadays, I prefer WiCD just because... I prefer it.  That's all.  It's like driving a '57 Chevy.   ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:26:12 pm »
Ahh, that explains the limp I've been struggling with for the last hour or so.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:16:44 am »
I always liked MX-14, so I'd expect MX-15 to be good too .. that said, what in there do you think makes us need to up our game ?
That's a good question and a difficult one to answer right off the bat.   I guess it really depends on what "Direction" Peppermint is intending to take it's user base. The way a Distro "Looks and Feels" is very personal. How far you steer your users in a given direction with baseline applications and "Tools" to make things easier.  There does seem to be a rise recently in "Beginner Friendly" offerings of "one click" Solutions like MX Tools - Linux Lite Control Centre... but actually in writing this; Peppermint has the Peppermint Control Centre, Customize Look and Feel...   ;D  I guess that just proves that familiarity brings with it a memory loss effect that made you like the OS of choice in the first place and that when you start comparing like for like you realize what makes Peppermint so good.
It's easy to get caught up in the "OOh look... Shiny...  New....  It must be good" state of mind, but then I have tried out so many different Distro's in the last two years that you get a "Feel" for what is good, things fall into place and just work.  Adjustments are easy, you feel instantly at home and I got that from MX-15 as I did instantly with Peppermint 6 and why it's still my Distro of Choice.
Did I actually answer your question... No - I didn't. Why? because it's not a Black and White answer, there is not one thing that makes it jump out at you and you say "Hey I wish Peppermint had that" but like Peppermint it feels right, it works, its smooth, its quick.
What process do you guys n girls follow in deciding where you're taking Peppermint 7, do you have a Distro Hopper looking around bringing you tips and tricks from other Distros to consider. You must have your own ideas, Design Ethos and things in the making else Peppermint 6 would not be as good as it is and no matter how many good ideas you find elsewhere, it's the pulling them all together, deciding what works and what doesn't and saying "Nah! our design is better not gonna bother looking to integrate that bit into our Distro.
Ok, now I am waffling...  the bottom line I guess is, keep up the good work, keep improving but keep an eye on the competition as they are starting to catch you up ;)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:35:38 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 11:47:56 am »
Peppermint's always been a slow progression of small improvements.

Where do we get ideas .. Generally looking at what we already have and thinking "what could be done better" then looking for/working on solutions (obviously within reasonable time and resource constraints), yeah a certain amount of distro hopping and watching what people seem to like in other distros (more than just what the other distro is doing), but mainly listening (and actively seeking out) what people that have actually used Peppermint think could be added/removed/improved.

I guess I'm saying - the most important driving force is what we hear/gather *you* guys think would make Peppermint better .. hence why I asked ;)
(where there's a lack of feedback/suggestions/consensus, Shane and I often with input from Kendall make the decision  .. then cross our fingers and go hide in the corner)

You've highlighted something that's always difficult though .. making ANY change always comes with a risk and we don't always get it right, but on the whole we'll actively seek constructive criticism and act on it where possible and where it fits the Peppermint ethos of "light, customisable, but with minimal choices *imposed* on the user by us".

I guess our decision not to impose a ton of pre-installed apps on our users (making software and customisation choices *theirs*), may give us a small advantage (?) .. we can just concentrate on the core configs and utils that make those choices easier without having to spend too much time on "application" choices and how well they fit together and support each other (or not) .. I'd never really considered how that design decision may have been working *for* the dev team  until now ;)

[EDIT]

Nearly forgot .. Kendall still pops up from time to time with strokes of pure genius (as is his way) .. such as the recent addition of Firefox support in Ice :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:20:18 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec