Choose style:

Author Topic: Power Manager not be working properly [SOLVED]  (Read 864 times)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 6-32 Netbook and P6-64 Laptop
Power Manager not be working properly [SOLVED]
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:46:05 am »
With the aid of this forum installation of P6 on my Inspiron N5110 is almost perfect but 'Power Manager' seems not to be working properly.

On the positive side 'Suspend' works both when selected from the menu and when the lid is closed (I don't use the buttons) but there is a difference when resuming - using the power button after suspending via the menu and leaving the lid open requires a password but opening the lid requires no other action at all.

However new, at least to me but discovered via this forum, is the password entering method!  There is no request for a password or box to enter it in, instead the honeycomb comes up with a circle in it!  You then just type the password but there is nothing to see except the circle flashing as each character is entered and then on pressing 'Enter' everything works!

For the record 'Lock Screen' responds the same way but leaving the screen active of course.

Now the query - 'Hibernate'.  This works perfectly from the terminal ($ sudo pm-hibernate) even though it seems not to because it starts up as if rebooted from cold but then reverts to the pre-hibernate conditions.  However no password is required. When choosing 'Hibernate' from 'Menu' it seems to select 'Lock Screen' mode requiring password to continue.

Sorry if I'm a bit longwinded with my description of what is happening but as it's all a bit weird I thought it better to tell the whole story.  Incidentally I have 11 GB of 'Swap' as presently configured.

BFN Toshmarple
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:30:14 am by Toshmarple »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Power Manager not be working properly
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:53:37 am »
Hi Toshmarple, the Hibernation feature not functioning from the panel and login logout screen is not a fault.  Ubuntu decided to disable it by default.  I guess it's due to the increased popularity of SSDs.  Using Hibernation with an SSD is a great way to kill it.  The heavy writing involved when using the Hibernation feature causes excessive wear and tear to the SSD.  If you're using a standard HHD, follow the instructions in this link to activate the Hibernation feature: http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1046.msg8901.html#msg8901.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 6-32 Netbook and P6-64 Laptop
Re: Power Manager not be working properly [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
Fantastic, 'Hibernate' is working now and the Power Manager settings options has been updated to include 'Hibernate'.  However although system goes into 'Suspend' mode when lid is closed it does not require password to resume when lid is opened unless 'ScreenLock' is used first.  To overcome this I have put a 'ScreenLock' shortcut on desktop so this not a problem.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Power Manager not be working properly [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:54 am »
Cool, glad it helped  ;).   None of the power managers are a 100% reliable.  It's a bit of a lucky dip when selecting them for a new distro release  ;D.  Thanks for marking the topic as [SOLVED].
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.