Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Gaming (continued discussion)  (Read 9663 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Linux Gaming (continued discussion)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:28 pm »
Thank You. That PS2 emulator if works will prove to be really helpful. atleast my PS2 DVDs and CDs won't go waste :P

Gnome has an app launcher button on its dock, right? just like how Sony Xperia and HTC phones used to have until Kitkat. It appears like an android menu. Today I downloaded and tried a lightweight distro called Alpha OS (for the first time, I have used a 64-bit OS on my PC). It too has a button like that. and so does Elementary OS. They call it slingshot launcher. I dont think its cool. Especially when the app launcher alone is consuming around 50 MB of your RAM, it ain't a lightweight distro anymore.

I think Windows 10 has an optional tablet mode . But that still doesn't make it any better. Getting windows is spending money. pay money for the OS, then the antivirus/internet security, install all drivers and spend half an hour configuring everything. And it goes on well for a few years until a friend of yours give you his pen drive and you insert it in only to see it has corrupted all your files turning 'em into shortcuts  >:( Worse, your computer wouldn't even turn on after  the next reboot. If you have the Windows DVD and the drivers, you are saved. or else, get ready to pay  :P I have faced days like this.  ::)

what do you think about the Windows phone OS in lumia phones?they suck even more than windows PC OS do. Aif Android is 90/100 (android has some limitations), windows doesnt even qualify! We had a friend who tried to be "different" and got a lumia. and he claims it to be the worst decision of his life. Internet explorer is so damn slow. and Chrome on android works like a rocket. We can even use google cloud print  to creat pdf of any secure web page (like exam forms) while he couldn't. Besies. every major app like whatsapp, hike had issues in windows. And once, facebook terminated support for their Windows phone app. Instagram was in beta for so long (i don't know if it still is). Nothing is customizable. and what's even funny is that when my esteemed colleague got sick of Windows phone 8 and tried upgrading to 8.1, the phone said that the update can only be done on a wi-fi network  :P :P :P :P And we aint got no wifi in our homes. most of us use 3G because it faster and cheaper.  After a few weeks, he bought a cheap android phone and sold the windows phone online.

I still remember how Christopher Nolan's made a deep impact on the batman character. I watched only one movie called BATMAN AND ROBIN where George clooney starred as batman. It was awful and I never watched a batman movie again until I watched Batman Begins. it was great. Then Dark Knight which is one of the best movies ever and then its sequel. Nolan has made Batman likeable :) Pretty sure Zack Synder won't disappoint us either. This is one of the reasons why I think the Batman  games got popular so soon. Besides the fact that they are made in an open world setting and have excellent fight sequences (wtahcing the trailers)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 10:27:44 pm »
I've seen every live action Batman movie there is, most of them in the theater when they were out.  (except the 1966 one because I wasn't born and The Dark Knight, but I have them both on DVD) Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are what happened when, after two successful dark films, (as Batman should be) Warner Bros. decided to fire Tim Burton and hire Joel Schumacher to "lighten" the films.  Batman Forever was OK, but Batman & Robin is just awful.  Too many stupid one-liner jokes.  Nolan was given what would have been Batman 5 had that series continued, but WB had him (thankfully) reboot the series and he decided to take Batman back to his roots as he was in the early comics, as opposed to following some of the later more "light" versions of the character.  And, it worked.  I really like his three Batman films. Though, my favorite version of Batman is actually the animated version they did in the '90s.  That was a cool TV show.  It was well written, especially for a kids' show.  (more intelligent than Batman & Robin)  Plus, the artwork is fantastic.  I have little faith in Zack Snyder.  300 is a decent film and he did OK with Watchmen, but it's not that true to the comic, which I have.  I have the Director's cut of the Watchmen, which is better.  However, I hated Man of Steel.  I didn't even finish that.  I seriously doubt that anything born from that film will be good.  So, that's my take on the off topic discussion.  ;)

The dock in Gnome 3 is actually an optional thing (a shell extension.)  But, yes, some of them do have the "apps" thing on the dock.  Others have it in the upper left of the screen.

As for Windows and phones, I can't say I've ever used a Windows phone.  However, Windows 8, much like Unity and Gnome-Shell, has that thing just like on Android where you bring all of your apps up at once on the screen and scroll through to find the one you want.  On a tablet or phone, that's fine, but it looks like crap on a 20-inch monitor.  That's one reason I hated Gnome 3 for a long time, though there are actually at least some tweaks you can do with it to bring it back to a more "normal" looking interface with taskbars and a menu and whatnot.  Gnome 3 actually has a lot of good extensions for Shell now that weren't there in the early days.  Unity, not so much.  In fact, Canonical seems bent on making it less customizable.  (ironically, this discussion actually fits into that other thread we branched off of ;) )  From what I've heard (because I won't touch it with a ten meter pole) Windows 10 has the option to either have a menu or the tablet-style junk.  However, with 10, the interface is the least of its concerns, I think.

OK, back on topic here.  I hope that PS2 emulator works out for you.  I've never tried emulating the PS2 because I have one that works.  But, I can see the attraction as I wouldn't want to go out and buy another one if it broke.  Amazon actually still sells the Slim console new, but they're creeping back up in price as they're becoming more scarce.  On a sour note, it's hard to believe that's considered a "retro" console now.   :o

On the gaming side of things, I've been playing Age of Empires Gold tonight, thanks to Wine.  It's been ages since I've played that, (see what I did there? >:D ) so I've been having fun.  It's interesting noting the differences between that one and AOE2.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 02:01:48 pm »
That upcoming superman vs batman movie reminded me of this game called "injustice gods among us". I watched the trailer...it's a fight game like street fighter but with all those superheroes :P Movies and games are correlated to each other :D so many great games have came from movies and vice versa. There was a movie in news called "San Andreas" and I thought it's finally a GTA movie. But it was a disaster film.

That's true. I like the fact how the normal menu on Linux distros organize every app according to their functionality. a tablet style menu messes everything up (if it cannot be customized).

PS2 has a lot of great games and all PS3s are not Backward compatible with ps2 games. perhaps it's a Sony trick to make PS2 an entry level console or a retro console like you said. :)

that's great! carry on :) ;D I miss playing AOE2. I have to download AOE gold soon. followed by 2 and 3. I haven't yet played AOE3 on my own PC because my PC sucks and AOE3 has excellent graphics (Water reflection and shadows). I doubt it will run smoothly, especially when I'm running it with wine

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 02:43:47 pm »
Batman V Superman reminds me a lot of Frank Miller's comic Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which has also been adapted into an animated film.  In that book/film, Batman comes out of retirement but the government won't allow his brand of justice anymore, so they send Superman in to "take care of" him.  Anyway, they have a big battle at the climax of book four of the story where Batman is waiting for Superman in an armored suit.  That's what the movie trailer reminds me of.  But, of course, in the movie version, Batman and Superman aren't going to have the history together that they do in the comics.  Anyway, it looks like a lame ripoff to me, plus I hate Snyder's version of Superman.  However, WB sure does seem to love Zack Snyder.  Aside from directing Batman V Superman, he's also slated to direct the two Justice League films they have in pre-production.  I'm more interested in the standalone Batman film that Ben Affleck is in talks to direct after he wraps up Batman V Superman and the Justice League films.  I'd like to see what he does with Batman.

Back on the gaming side, I think my next graphics card is likely going to be an AMD card.  We switched Internet from AT&T to Time Warner today, so I was updating the Wifi on my laptop, which I usually don't use because I prefer my desktop.  Anyway, while I was on there, I decided to do a little test of how Wine works on there.  Unlike with Nvidia graphics, I didn't have any issues playing an 800 x 600 or 1026 x 768 game scaled to "full" screen.  (black bars on the side because the screen is 1366 x 768)  I don't care what some gamers say about AMD graphics, I have less issues with AMD on my laptop than I do with Nvidia on my desktop.

Yeah, Sony kind of made a mess of the backward compatibility of the PS3.  You had to buy either a 20GB or 60GB console from the first generation for full PS2 support or a 20GB or 80GB from the second generation for partial support (emulator.)  That was it, no other PS3s in the world are backward compatible with PS2 games.  I think Sony didn't prioritize that because they continued to manufacture and make games for the PS2 for five years after the PS3 release, just as they did with the PS1 after the PS2 release.  This is as opposed to Microsoft, who dropped the XBOX right at the release of the XBOX 360.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:46:19 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 03:46:42 pm »
I gotta get myself that comic soon :) I wish to have Batman in a game where you have to live a double life as a superhero and a biillionaire. The superhero stuff will be like just how it is right now in all those games. and the billionaire life can be more simulation type. the player gets options to customize Bruce Wayne's hairstyle, clothes, buy cars, date girls and play business games (invest in stock market, buy and sell properties).  :P And when the supercop aka Gordon calls, the superhero action starts  :D

How do you access wifi on your desktop?  Have you installed a USB wifi adapter to your desktop or something? Then perhaps AMD is better for guys who are using Linux and wish to play games through wine. Can extremely heavy games like Far Cry 4, GTA V, Watch dogs etc run smoothly with wine?

As far as I recall, Sony discontinued PS2 only a few months before I got myself that used PS2. However, certain games like PES were released after, but they have stopped now. Microsoft has released another console, haven't they? XBOX ONE? have they discontinued 360?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 04:37:39 pm »
Actually, the PS2 was produced longer than I thought it was.  They stopped production in December 2012 in Japan and January 2013 in the West.  That's why you can still find new ones for sale.  The final game produced for it came out last year.

I have a USB Wifi adapter for my desktop, which is good because my computer isn't the one with the modem hooked up to it.  ;)

I have no idea about those games running smoothly in Wine because I don't have any of them.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 02:07:51 pm »
A lot of people mod their PS2s to play pirated games. too bad, my PS2 ain't modded yet. But I got a source who sell pirated PS2 games for about 50 cents to a dollar per CD/DVD. I am gonna have to spend a score on repairing the lens and getting it modded :)