Choose style:

Author Topic: The Amazing Shrinking Start Page (Solved)  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Jono

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4+5
The Amazing Shrinking Start Page (Solved)
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:17:47 am »
Hello this is my first post on either forum. I am very ignorant of computers in general so I hope I don't ask too many silly questions. I came to linux sideways by buying the missus an HP mini with a Splashtop based "Instant web" dual boot option. This we loved, and windows 7 was used so seldom that it would no longer update properly, and we didn't like it anyway.
 The HP OS died due to lack of support so we looked for a replacement thus here we are. I'm doing a job that needed me to learn a CAD prog so I'm slowly feeling my way round and learning computer and linux  jargon, which is a major stumbling block.

Anyway, after the preamble I've a problem, not serious but a bit odd. Recently, when I fire up Chromium the Peppermint start page is now a little window which appears to be getting smaller each time. Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix it and an explanation of why it happened? I expect it to be operator error.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:58:48 am by Jono »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: The Amazing Shrinking Start Page
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:23 am »
Do you mean the whole Chromium browser window is small, or just the contents ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Jono

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:48:13 am »
The whole window is about 2 1/2" square with the Peppermint 4 desktop as a background. I've just been repeating it and it's only intermittent. though even when it goes to full screen there's a momentary flash of the baby one, which may be a normal part of the opening procedure. I have another display problem which is perhaps related: I'm getting "print through" from the open window under the current one. This is also intermittent and goes when I click.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:15:03 am »
Transparency of windows that are NOT in focus is a "feature" of Peppermint 4 .. you can disable it if you prefer by going to

menu > Preferences > Window Manager Tweaks > Compositor (tab)

then adjusting the "Opacity" slideer for "Inactive Windows"

As for Chromium, either maximise the window .. should remember that after closing/reopening Chromium

or

Position the Chrome Window to top left, then drag the bottom right corner of the window till it fills the screen .. again, closing reopening should cause it to "remember" the window size.

If neither of these work, we can change the command for opening chromium to include the

--start-maximized

option, which will force Chromium to always start maximised .. if you need help with this, just ask :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Jono

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:54:43 am »
That's brilliant, thanks. I was only curious about the start page (as long as it didn't disappear altogether), but the print through was irritating doing the CAD. I'd assumed that it was a malfunction, not least because I'd asked a couple of "experts" and got the usual technobabble bullstuff. Just bought a four year old laptop and about to do a peppermint install. Wish me luck!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:58:15 am »
No problem, and good luck...

I doubt you'll need the luck, but there it is anyway ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec