Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?  (Read 18094 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »
Nope I have not tried ubuntu mate I have run linux mint mate in the past and I like it a lot I'll check it out at some point in time...
My tablets are all Asus Memo pads they are 10 inch quad cores, and they are really nice, i found them off lease on ebay i paid 99 bucks a piece for them, and they were like they were never used, only my wifes did i find a scratch on the face but it is in the black area and not on the actual screen itself...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
Sounds like you got a couple of good deals!  :)

You know taught me, a year or so back, that some computers play better with some distos than others.  I tried to put Mint's Cinnamon edition on an old 11-year-old HP desktop.  I couldn't do it.  For some reason that old computer rejected Mint completely.  So far that old computer has only accepted Ubuntu's Unity (which was so slow and worthless that there was no point to using it), Ubuntu's LXDE (which was also too slow, but faster than Unity), Ubuntu's Xfce (which was good, somewhat slow,  but a little challenging for a first-time Linux user), and Ubuntu's MATE (good, although a little choppy at times, very user friendly, and with 4 more years of support!)

I thought for this user and her computer, Mint's Cinnamon LTS edition would be just what the doctor ordered; but that finicky old computer said, "No, thank you -- Mr. Mint Cinnamon edition!"  :(

I've never known why.  :-\ 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2015, 03:57:30 pm »
I had a computer like that also it hated everything I put on it, only thing that worked was Antix....
I tried ubuntu mate off a flash drive, it just looks like the old ubuntu before unity came out... 
Linux Mint Mate on the other hand is really nice compared to ubuntu mate... 
I don't think I can ever go back to ubuntu now that I have seen linux mint, cause linux mint puts ubuntu to shame....   :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40