Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED)Prmint 4 In install solve graphics breaking up in T23 Thinkpad w/in live  (Read 4253 times)

bobww99

T 23 , 2647-2tu Ibm Think pad-meets all min requirements.
Graphics tearing up at peppermint live session during install. Need to know how to download (driver(s) prior?) (command line?). I am a new to installing anything. Installing via a 2 gig USB stick formatted with Peppermint 4.
If some can give me step by step (1., 2., instructions, I might be able to confirm and try.
Please email because I am  not sure I can find this post again--new to this type of communication.
Thank You,
Bob
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:38:14 pm by bobww99 »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
T 23 , 2647-2tu Ibm Think pad-meets all min requirements.
Graphics tearing up at peppermint live session during install. Need to know how to download (driver(s) prior?) (command line?). I am a new to installing anything. Installing via a 2 gig USB stick formatted with Peppermint 4.
If some can give me step by step (1., 2., instructions, I might be able to confirm and try.
Please email because I am  not sure I can find this post again--new to this type of communication.
Thank You,
Bob
After many weeks and many hours fighting with the IBM T22 I can tell you this much, I could not get peppermint 4 to run on it...
 It is something with the S3 graphics card...
 However Peppermint 3 works great on the T22 so your t23 should work with it also... 
The new peppermint 5 should also work with it when it comes out in a month or so, because the daily build of Lubuntu which peppermint 5 will be based upon works on the T22....  Good Luck....  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:24:46 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Sorry, but nobody is going to email you.

T23 uses an S3 SuperSaavge graphics chip .. I'd try Peppermint 3 if I were you.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

To: rjm65 --I think this might be the answer. I have a S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC 1014 [Display Adapter].
I read about a XFree86 Ref: http://www.xfree86.org/
but I not sure if its the right thing or what? How to use it,When to use it(have windows xp and want a dual boot--will it mess up xp? Does it solve the graphics break up problem?

I am going to look in to Pmint 3 and 5. What I want is good gui interface with lightweight. Know next to nothing about terminal commands.

Ref: PCNetSpec--Have no idea of: WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Peppermint Support Admin--Do not have a clue?

Thank all of You for your input.
Bob

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Ref: PCNetSpec--Have no idea of: WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Ignore that, it's jst a joke in my forum signature :)

Can I ask how much RAM you have ?

The vesa or savagefb drivers are supposed to work, but I'm wondering if you're a borderline case with the frambebuffer driver and RAM in a Live environment.

Those 2 drivers are already part of the kernel so don't need installing

reference:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/S3_SuperSavage_IX/C
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Can I ask how much RAM you have ?

The IBM T20 T21 and T22 thinkpads have a maximum of 512mb ram...
The T23 appears to have 866mhz processors on up to 1.2 ghz processors, and a Maximum of 1 Gig Ram....
 He may have less Ram though....  he does say he meets peppermint 4 requirements not exceeds them, so whatever peppermint 4 requirements are might give you an idea of what he has...
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T23
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:02:50 am by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(have windows xp and want a dual boot--will it mess up xp?
Peppermint 3 will dual boot with window XP just fine, However before you try to do this outside of a virtual box, you will need to run a terminal command before installation to remove the ubiquity slideshow....
Boot from live cd of peppermint 3, open a terminal and type this command:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-peppermint
Then proceed to click install peppermint and follow the instructions for install choose a side by side install with XP...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

bobww99

Hi rjm65,
First thread:
 I have 128 MB in slot 1--I think I could up grade to 512 on this one.
512 MB in slot 2 = 640 Total.

Second thread:
As to command: sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-peppermint
What would this command do? Stop the graphics from breaking up in the live session only? Will it allow the full Pmint 4 OS to run properly there after? I have know knowledge of terminal commands.
"outside of a virtual box, you will need to run a terminal command before installation"
Not sure how to go about this?
Thank You for your input,
Bob

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
That command fixes a bug in the installer program in the slideshow... What happens is the slideshow locks up, and then you are stuck the install fails...
so you have to remove the slideshow before you install, then it runs fine all the way thru the install...

Peppermint 3 has the drivers for the s3 video card, it works fine on my T22 with 512 mb ram....

I tested the Lubuntu 14.04 daily build on my T22 also it has the S3 drivers also, which is what peppermint 5 will be based upon....
Peppermint 5 will be coming out shortly within the next few months....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

bobww99

rjm65

I think I will try pmint 3. Pmint 4 maybe too problematic.
FYI , the T23 is loaded with xp professional so I plan to do a dual boot.
I will close this thread in a few days and start another concerning reported wireless problems, and many questions on dual booting.
Thanks again for all the input. It helps.
Bob

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I will close this thread in a few days and start another concerning reported wireless problems, and many questions on dual booting.
Thanks again for all the input. It helps.
Bob
Yes the onboard wireless cards never worked for me I had to buy PCMCIA cards online that worked with linux, Maybe PCNetSpec can help you out with your wireless problem, what I suggest is you boot the peppermint 3 live CD, and see if you can get your wireless working while running the live CD...
If not then make a new post and I am sure the peppermint team can help you out....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

bobww99

rjm65: Ref new post.
Old post: Peppermint 4: In install solve graphics breaking up in T23 Thinkpad within live

New post:Expected problem with Wireless  PCMCIA card Pmint3: in T23 Thinkpad within live
TU
Bob