Author Topic: What is Peppermint based on?  (Read 13708 times)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Re: What is Peppermint based on?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 08:38:09 am »
I hope everyone noted in that last interview, Mark made a point of reminding the interviewer: PeppermintOS arrived before ChromeOS...

;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:47:28 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 09:51:04 am »
I (among many, I guess) found Peppermint in search of a linux version of Chrome OS.
 While in that search, I tried out several "lightweight" distros to install  on older computers that couldn't handle Windows 10. After trying out at least a half a dozen,  I returned to Peppermint. I am no longer looking for a Chrome OS alternative, (although I still use ICE occasionally), but P mint is my favorite among light distros.
I use Win 10 on most of my computers, but if were to need to use Linux full-time, I know of no "full-weight" distros that I would prefer over P mint.
I look forward to a bright future for Peppermint!

Awesome! And me too ;)
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 11:44:07 am »
I hope everyone noted in that last interview, Mark made a point of reminding the interviewer: PeppermintOS arrived before ChromeOS...

;)

That's right! 8)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline fires

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Ten x86_64//5.3.
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 03:19:30 am »
Not much to add to what scifidude said .. Peppermint is based on Ubuntu (or more accurately the LXDE spin Lubuntu) not Debian.
(no part of Peppermint is sourced directly from Debian, conversely nearly all of it is sourced directly from the Ubuntu repos)

Sure you could attempt to suggest Ubuntu is based on Debian (so Peppermint by extrapolation), but besides using Debian package management Ubuntu host all their own packages very few of which are 1:1 copies of Debian packages.

Remember, nearly all the code Debian host is not written by them, just packaged by them .. in the same way Ubuntu package/patch/repackage then host it.

Ubuntu also track their own packages for bugs, and release their own security patches independently of Debian.

It'd be hard to define a distro as "based on" another just because it uses the same package management system don't you think ?

The whole "Ubuntu is based on Debian" argument may have once held some water but I'm not sure it still does, as nearly all the packages have diverged.
(including the core package management packages such as dpkg)

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone's stance on the "is Ubuntu Debian based" question, Peppermint is built from Lubuntu (sourcing Ubuntu packages) so is Ubuntu based.

If you see any statement  on this forum by Kendall .. you should probably presume it to be true and well considered, he is after all not new at this ;)

(grabs a bag of popcorn8)

Thanks for that, gave me a chuckle :))

Very nice info

thank you for explaining
Peppermint 10 Ten x86_64//5.3.0-53-generic

Offline fires

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Ten x86_64//5.3.
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 03:19:56 am »
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:24:08 am by fires »
Peppermint 10 Ten x86_64//5.3.0-53-generic