Choose style:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Software & Applications / Re: How do you run Bluetooth anyway?
« Last post by Bigoeuf on Today at 06:23:53 pm »
Evening Mynaardt - mi old colonial cousin & A Happy New Year to you

This maybe of some assistance:

This is your wifi card:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/centrino-advanced-n-6205-brief.pdf

Note: No Bluetooth

You could replace it with:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/centrino-advanced-n-6235-brief.pdf

Note: Bluetooth - Its an upgraded card in the same series so I can't see why it won't work

A quick search turned up this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Centrino-Advanced-N-6235-5ghz-920119/dp/B007QXLIWI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=centrino-6235&qid=1547939159&sr=8-1

Note: This is not me recommending or advocating you buy from this seller it is purely an example - I'll leave you to research that.

You may wish to upgrade to a higher spec wifi card that is capable of communicating using the latest AC standard (which I have done - though it is of no use to me with my home router as it is not of that same standard) which maybe of similar cost as the N standard one. You may need to check with Lenovo about whats available & compatibility.

Youtube video showing how to access wifi card for replacement:

1. Remove battery
2. Remove back center access panel

See wifi card next to SODIMM (RAM)

3. Remove wifi card (as shown - I would use plastic utensils though)
4. Reverse procedure - hopefully job done

Seems simple as you like. I've done various hardware mods/upgrades to my Dell Laptops (CPU's, SSD/HDD, RAM, Wifi Card, Keyboard, daughter board) some of which have been considerably more involved & with one exception (E6430 speakers which maybe a motherboard fault) everything has been upgraded satisfactorily.

HTH & Good luck  ;)
New Users / Re: New to PepperMint, found a few (minor) issues
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 05:54:25 pm »
It's showing in my menu (yep, the latest as a flatpak), it doesn't have an icon but it's there :-\

what's the contents of
Code: [Select]
xed /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications/com.wire.WireDesktop.desktop
and the output from
Code: [Select]
ls -a /usr/share/applications/flatpak
New Users / Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails [SOLVED]
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 05:42:57 pm »
Okay people calm down and play nice .. if you can't do this, either stop posting in this topic or leave.

The dialog is gtkfilechooser, so is part of Gtk3 (the one called by Gtk2 apps is even more basic) .. Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce/LXDE/Gnome/Pantheon will have the exact same dialog(s) because they are Gtk DE's too .. as I understand it, it would be possible for a Qt application to have a different filechooser window because it'll be getting it from some Qt library, but not Firefox which AFAIK is Gtk.

Peppermint is intended as a lightweight distro (lightweight, not ultralight), we're not here to include every feature under the sun, nor could we even if we wanted to (we don't author the Gtk libraries) .. KDE **may** have what you're looking for, but then you'd be better off with Kubuntu than Peppermint.

Beyond that, if you want to request this feature in Gtk, you'll need to ask the Gnome foundation.
New Users / Re: New to PepperMint, found a few (minor) issues
« Last post by inventiv.us on Today at 05:39:18 pm »
Is wire not displaying in the main menu AT ALL

Exactly.  Not at all.

It does depend on the version and from what installer I used.
I need the latest (3.5) because if fixes a couple of security vulnerabilities that came up in their last audit.
The other version, (3.3) did not give an icon but had an entry in the menu.
But 3.5 has to be launched by opening "Software", finding it there, and "Launch" from there.
New Users / Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails
« Last post by inventiv.us on Today at 04:24:41 pm »
that was nasty and snide and uncalled for
Wow!  Just wow!  The anger and aggressiveness in your interpretation.   My mind is blown.  You certainly know how to escalate things at mach-3 speed.  But I'm not going to bite.

KDE gives you thumbnails. I've seen screenshots from end-users.
New Users / Re: File-Open doesn't show thumbnails
« Last post by emegra on Today at 03:48:28 pm »
Um no, in the generally accepted nomenclature of things, those are called icons, in such a case.

Look at the screenshot I posted and you will see they are thumbnails admittedly too small to be of much use for the purpose you want but thumbnails nonetheless, I'm sure you know the difference between an icon and a thumbnail
Is there a way to replace that with one that is more in with the 21st century?

That's the type of comment that will get you nowhere on this forum or any other I suspect, we don't have a problem with criticism but all we ask is you keep it constructive and respectful, that was nasty and snide and uncalled for

The ironic thing from my standpoint is I think you have a point and raised something we could look into, I've even went as far as installing Cinnamon DE and it's no different and I've installed  KDE-Neon in a VM and it's no different either

Anyway thank you for raising the issue

Graeme

However, if your statement about many here still living in the 20th century refers to many people still being on film cameras, and not yet owning a smartphone, I would disagree.
Hi inventiv.us,

No, my statement was not about that.

Regards,

-- Slim
Is there a way to replace that with one that is more in with the 21st century?

Hi inventiv.us,I think that is a rather harsh and subjective statement, especially seeing that you are the first person I have seen in the forum to ask about this. I guess we must have a lot of 20th century users here.   :)

That was a valiant effort at trying to appear offended (or trying to make my comment sound offensive?).

In the 20th century, you had an excuse: film cameras were still around. 
By the 21st century, it was pretty much all digital cameras and smartphones.  Meaning loads of pictures named something like DC0004492774.jpg and you'd have hundreds of them, because there no longer is a cost to developing photos.  Add to that downloaded images not renamed, etc.
And there is social media, forums, websites to host your content, which are all far more prevalent.  But things have been so for more than the last decade (which goes back longer than the inception of some of these OSes when you come to think of it).   
So I feel that this feature is more than pertinent - and I am surprised that it remains overlooked (even more so if intentionally neglected).

However, if your statement about many here still living in the 20th century refers to many people still being on film cameras, and not yet owning a smartphone, I would disagree. I think that by now, those who don't use some form of digital camera and are still on film would be an infinitesimally-small minority.  By your logic, one could stand to wonder if the developers of Xfce own smartphones yet.
How can they not get it?

PS: a quick search yielded 27 topics talking about thumbnails in various situations. 
Surely they serve a purpose and are deemed an important element.
New Users / Re: Is there a way to get THUMBNAILS on FILE-OPEN dialog?
« Last post by murraymint on Today at 03:10:52 pm »
Technically speaking those are thumbnails next to each filename. It's just that thumbs come in varying sizes.

Um no, in the generally accepted nomenclature of things, those are called icons, in such a case.
The content of your reply shows that you are just arguing despite knowing exactly what is being referred to.  Why?

I think you're wrong. An icon is representative of a particular type of file, not a small rendering of the actual content of that file.

But I'm more interested in your psychic abilities. Tell me more...  ::)
but I think it unlikely Cinnamon would work that way as it runs Nemo as it's file manager the same as Peppermint does
Or am I missing something ?

I'm no expert (as you can see by my proud "noob" badge), but I don't think it calls upon Nemo to do that.
I think it's a sub-component by a different name. 
And I'm wondering if we can replace that.
I think I may have been wrong about Cinnamon - last time I used it was it's version 17 a couple of years ago, and I thought I remembered that someone told me Mate didn't do it but Cinnamon would.  But my recollection could be wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10