Choose style:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hardware / Re: Reformat Reinstall on Touchsmart M6
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 10:54:42 am »
Which version/architecture of Peppermint ?

From the LiveDVD/LiveUSB, what's the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
General Discussion / Re: New SSD - 8 or 9?
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 10:49:47 am »
Great news peppeycrab :)
GNU/Linux Discussion / Re: can we prevent recommending Linux Mint?
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 10:48:12 am »
It does .. which kinda proves the "there's no correct way" thing :)

"Correct" is subjective .. even to oneself :)
« Last post by pin on Today at 10:45:49 am »
Thanks! That's actually the reason I haven't tried it... at the same time that's also the reason why it's interesting.
If that makes sense  ;D
New Users / Re: No Peppermint USB for sale?
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 10:43:17 am »
Thanks very much Joesplace :)
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 10:29:37 am »
@PCNetSpec
What's you don't like about Gentoo? It's one of those that I haven't tried, but been curious about...

For me it's simply too much work .. but my point was, there are many that suggest compiling everything from source is the 'correct/best' 'Linux way' .. when in truth it's just 'correct/best' for THEM, most people just see it as unecessary 'hassle'.
(neither/both are correct)
« Last post by pin on Today at 09:56:47 am »
Yeap! Pick the one you like. Or the ones you like... I don't make a secret about the ones I use  :)
If you don't like something, stay away from it  ;) it still is mostly open source, right?
Making a suggestion is one thing, imposing it is another.

@PCNetSpec
What's you don't like about Gentoo? It's one of those that I haven't tried, but been curious about...
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 09:31:54 am »
Couldn't agree more .. pick what suits YOU not what suits someone else, there are pro's and con's to ALL distros/OS's, but in the Linux world at least WE get to make that choice :)

PERSONALLY, I don't like Arch/Gentoo/Fedora/etc. (all for differing reasons) .. but it would be extremely presumptuous of me to think mine is the ONLY valid opinion/standpoint.
« Last post by scifidude79 on Today at 09:10:35 am »
I moved this to the GNU/Linux Discussion board because it's not a help request.

My personal philosophy has always been to not suggest any specific distro. If someone asks me what I've used and like, or if I like a certain distro, I'll give my honest thoughts. However, my thinking has always been that Linux is free, so why not try some different distros and see what suits you? That's what I did, and that's what led me here about 8 years ago. I was actually running Linux Mint KDE (I think, Mint 9) when I found Peppermint.

Linux Mint is a good distribution. Their core ethos (IE: blocking certain updates) shouldn't be a reason to not suggest it. I mean, every distro has their quirks. Plus, you can easily update to the latest kernel in Mint the same way you can in any other distro using APT, through the terminal. I'd actually recommend any Mint user do that every once in a while, to keep up with those kernel security updates. But, having to do that isn't going to make it a bad distro, just one with a different way of doing things.

Having to update to fix errors out of the box is also all too common, I'm afraid. And, not just with Linux, with Windows and Mac OS as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10