Choose style:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Installation / Re: putting in Proprietary AMD Drivers - Peppermint 9
« Last post by Ashishgada on Today at 09:40:28 am »
as the name suggests i've set up Peppermint 9 sixty four bit on an vintage Toshiba satellite tv for pc C50D that become just lying about bogged down with home windows 10. You in all likelihood get this query a gaggle, however i used to be wondering how to installation the AMD drivers.

i've attempted to tug the document as i have seen others do in youtube tutorials for different distros (mint and ubuntu) but it doesn't do it with peppermint it appears. So i'm presently seeking to determine out the way to do this.

https://appsync.biz/abcya/ https://appsync.biz/adam4adam/] https://appsync.biz/pof/

GNU/Linux Discussion / Re: can we prevent recommending Linux Mint?
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 09:31:54 am »
Couldn't agree more .. pick what suits YOU not what suits someone else, there are pro's and con's to ALL distros/OS's, but in the Linux world at least WE get to make that choice :)

PERSONALLY, I don't like Arch/Gentoo/Fedora/etc. (all for differing reasons) .. but it would be extremely presumptuous of me to think mine is the ONLY valid opinion/standpoint.
« Last post by scifidude79 on Today at 09:10:35 am »
I moved this to the GNU/Linux Discussion board because it's not a help request.

My personal philosophy has always been to not suggest any specific distro. If someone asks me what I've used and like, or if I like a certain distro, I'll give my honest thoughts. However, my thinking has always been that Linux is free, so why not try some different distros and see what suits you? That's what I did, and that's what led me here about 8 years ago. I was actually running Linux Mint KDE (I think, Mint 9) when I found Peppermint.

Linux Mint is a good distribution. Their core ethos (IE: blocking certain updates) shouldn't be a reason to not suggest it. I mean, every distro has their quirks. Plus, you can easily update to the latest kernel in Mint the same way you can in any other distro using APT, through the terminal. I'd actually recommend any Mint user do that every once in a while, to keep up with those kernel security updates. But, having to do that isn't going to make it a bad distro, just one with a different way of doing things.

Having to update to fix errors out of the box is also all too common, I'm afraid. And, not just with Linux, with Windows and Mac OS as well.
« Last post by PCNetSpec on Today at 08:58:36 am »
Whilst I agree Mint make some weird decisions (just my opinion), there is no "correct" way for a distro to function .. that's kinda the point of Linux, there are many groups with differing opinions of what is "right", thankfully Linux allows for ALL of them to be catered for.

Mint is usually pretty stable precisely BECAUSE of the changes you mention .. whether they are the 'best' idea from a security/hardware support standpoint could be a valid discussion .. but then that's the point, there are trade-offs to be made and Mint are just choosing their own position. I see no problem with that.

Instead of trying to push ones own idea of 'the correct way' for a distro to be built and function, wouldn't it be better to simply EXPLAIN to new users the possible pitfalls (and benefits) from a particular distro choice and let the user decide where THEIR priorities lie?

I for one will NOT stop recommending Mint to  new users (though obviously I'd point them at Peppermint first ;)).

The Linux community (including Peppermint) have benefited MASSIVELY from Linux Mint .. Cinnamon/a lot of MATE development/x-apps/their update manager (which is IMHO the best out there) and a ton of other utilities/apps/tweaks to Gnome stuff .. Cinnamon and MATE have also likely moderated Gnome's 'just remove it' excesses.

I personally have zero problem with Mint .. unlike a LOT of other projects they keep **most** of their custom utilities/apps modular so others can use them. Take Nemo for example, it's easy for us to use it in LXDE as it's modular.. we tried the same thing with MATE's Caja, but it's been designed in a m control thore holistic way and depends on mate-session for desktop control settings, in other words they can't easily be separated so if you want Caja to also control the desktop you're pretty much stuck with using mate-session. I'm a HUGE fan of modularity (it's what made/makes Linux great in the first place) and hate this new holistic "all or nothing" approach the newer DE's taking, so I applaud Mint.

In an case, pretty much all the charges you lay at Mint in deviating from 'upstream' could be levelled at Ubuntu or Manjaro (or most other distros) .. do you want to live in a Linux world with only top tier distros and limited options ?

I'l agree Mint isn't my cup of tea (for some of the reasons you describe), but to say it shouldn't be recommended to new users is a bit over the top, and would imply I thought MY opinions were better informed or more important than others.

Mint is a great distro, and has come a long way since it was basically just Ubuntu in a green skin with codecs pre-installed .. Now EVERYONE benefits from their existence, not just their users.

Choose whichever distro suits YOU, but at the same time remember your reasoning is personal to you, there is no 'correct' one-size-fits-all approach to how a distro should function (thank god) .. and can the Linux community PLEASE stop this "my distro is better than yours" crap that simply detracts from what's good about Linux as a whole, this squabbling does nobody any good (except maybe Microsoft and Apple) ;)
thanks zebedeeboss
I would never have found that (I do have V9 and need to update my profile details)
Martin
Software & Applications / Re: javascript:void(0);
« Last post by travoltjohn on Today at 06:39:08 am »
 javascript:void(0) is not a very critical error, it sure is an irritating to encounter. When you encounter the javascript:void(0) error it most probably is an indication of an error stemming from your browser; which in turn blocks you from accessing a particular website. The root cause of the error can be traced to a resident pop up blocker in your internet browser. Also, it may be triggered by a proxy server if you are connecting to the internet through proxy.
New Users / Re: No Peppermint USB for sale?
« Last post by Joesplace on Today at 02:13:19 am »
Looks great - by the way, Peppermint OS is one of finest running operating systems I have ever tried. I have been in Linux for about 8 years and have tried all of the big boys but they always had problems with video, wifi or etc. Peppermint runs on my two Dells with no problems at all. I'm impressed . . .
GNU/Linux Discussion / can we prevent recommending Linux Mint?
« Last post by Parthpanchal on Today at 01:58:07 am »
Linux Mint has many troubles:

Linux Mint mixes Ubuntu and Debian programs (see right here)

because of the combination of Debian and Ubuntu programs, when an replace is released that breaks Mint, the maintainers blacklist it until it works again, even though it's far a safety improve. (be aware: they don't try to restoration it, they just blacklist it)

Mint would not publish CVEs, and also you can not check if you are vulnerable due to the fact you don't know wherein a certain package deal came from.

while certainly one of their applications has the identical name as a upstream package, they block the bundle and update it with theirs. for instance, the bundle mdm consists of Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting, however, in Linux Mint (and simplest Linux Mint), the mdm bundle is the Mint show supervisor(aka a a dead ringer for gdm).

safety updates are optionally available.

by using default, using the update manager, you won't get updates for crucial elements of the device(xorg, systemd, kernel), even security updates.

using old kernels means that more recent hardware isn't supported

you may possibly have a higher time with Ubuntu(or another distro) MATE or by installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu(we really want a Ubuntu Cinnamon Spin) than with Linux Mint.

So, are we able to forestall recommending Linux Mint to novices? because they may run into a great deal more troubles than with any other distro and will get the incorrect picture of what a (true) Linux distro should be.
Installation / putting in Proprietary AMD Drivers - Peppermint 9
« Last post by Ashishgada on Today at 01:51:33 am »
as the name suggests i've set up Peppermint 9 sixty four bit on an vintage Toshiba satellite tv for pc C50D that become just lying about bogged down with home windows 10. You in all likelihood get this query a gaggle, however i used to be wondering how to installation the AMD drivers.

i've attempted to tug the document as i have seen others do in youtube tutorials for different distros (mint and ubuntu) but it doesn't do it with peppermint it appears. So i'm presently seeking to determine out the way to do this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10