Author Topic: Will Installing To a Second HD mess up my Grub Menu? (SOLVED)  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Syepod

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
I currently have Mint 19.3 running on my primary HD. I want to keep that and install Peppermint to a blank secondary internal HD. Two questions, if I may:

1. Can I do this without overwriting the current Grub Menu? In other words, how do I install Peppermint on the second HD so it shows up at boot as drive #2 on Grub, but my primary drive w/Mint stays in the first boot position?

2. Which drive does the "Device For Boot Loader Installation" go on?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:40:29 pm by Syepod »

Offline m1k3

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Ten
Re: Will Installing To a Second HD mess up my Grub Menu?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:28:17 pm »
I haven't done this before myself, but I think it's as easy as installing Peppermint to secondary and then run update-grub on primary. It'll kick off os-prober and find the Peppermint on secondary and add it to the menu of primary. I'm still doing some digging to see if installing grub on the secondary MBR would cause any issues but at the very least it might just chain-load which works too.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:24:23 pm »
Hi Syepod,

Install the grub from the PeppermintOS in the partition that will contain PeppermintOS (e.g. if PeppermintOS will be in /dev/sdb1 then that is where you should install its grub). Then after installation, boot into Mint 19.3 and open a terminal. Enter:

Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub

and that should pick up PeppermintOS for you, so that the next new boot will now also show an option for booting into PeppermintOS.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Syepod

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:45:52 pm »
Aha, excellent! Thank you both. I will give this a go.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:47:34 pm by Syepod »

Offline m1k3

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Ten
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:43:45 pm »
Hi Syepod, I tested this out on a VM. In the expert install I set sda (primary) as the bootloader drive and upon reboot, both Linux distros were found by grub. I imagine you could probably use sdb as Slim mentioned too.

Offline Syepod

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:44:58 pm »
Thanks! I used Slim's approach and it worked great, but it sounds like yours would work fine too.  I really like Peppermint so far and my machine runs noticeably faster with it than it does in Mint Xfce.

There is one odd side effect from the new install though. My PC has a floppy disk that's disabled in the BIOS boot settings and is ordinarily ignored at start up. After installing Peppermint, the machine now tries to access the floppy several times during boot. It's not a big deal but it does slow down HD startup by about 20-30 seconds, particularly when booting to Mint.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 04:28:09 am »
Hi Syepod,

Glad to hear that you now have things working!  8) If you are satisfied that your issue has been resolved, please go back to the first message in this thread and click on the Modify button. Then add (SOLVED) to the end of the Subject: line and save the change.

As far as your floppy disk goes, have you checked the BIOS again to make sure that the floppy is either no longer examined at boot or is at least at the bottom of the list of drives that are examined during boot?  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 05:07:45 pm »
As far as your floppy disk goes, have you checked the BIOS again to make sure that the floppy is either no longer examined at boot or is at least at the bottom of the list of drives that are examined during boot?  :-\

Good idea!

As an aside, my 32-bit PM10R doorstop test box has both a floppy (diskette) and CD-ROM drive(s). I thought it was rather silly to have them sitting there, unused, so I got them working.

During power-up, PM quickly checks for the floppy and CD-ROM, then proceeds to boot from the SSD. The only reason I notice it is because the green LED indicators light-up for a second or two.

If the OP can't disable them in BIOS, he might consider getting them to work. That way, there shouldn't be a lull at start-up.   ;)

Here's what my '/etc/fstab' file looks like...

Offline Syepod

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 09:39:47 pm »
The floppy does work, I just had it disabled in the boot menu. After disabling it completely in the BIOS, I was surprised to discover that there was actually no change in boot time. I used to have an old 32 bit copy of Mint 18.1 Xfce on  the secondary drive before I erased it. Apparently installing a new 64 bit OS to that drive changed something and that change is now delaying boot up, particularly when going to the primary drive. It's a mystery but I can live with the trade-off.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:50:24 pm by Syepod »

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 10:31:08 pm »
The floppy does work, I just had it disabled in the boot menu. After disabling it completely in the BIOS, I was surprised to discover that there was actually no change in boot time [...]

This trick still works:  https://is.gd/GqsIHn   ;)