Author Topic: What wifi adapter? [Solved]  (Read 772 times)

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 and 10
What wifi adapter? [Solved]
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:26:18 am »
I'm on 64Mbps fibre to cabinet and most of the time I get way above that sometimes hitting 90Mbps! However just recently every 2-3 days my speed will drop to 5-10Mbps and rebooting the router is the only way to get the speed back up.

Yesterday I did some digging and found the problem appears to be the link between my pc and router. I ran a speed test on my phone through wifi and was getting around 55-60Mbps then did a speed test on the pc and it was crawling again. My pc is in a different room to the router so I use TP-Link powerline adapters as it's not practical to run a direct cable.

I have three old wifi dongles that I've used before, one with Peppermintos but that was a few years ago. They are Tenda W311U, Tenda W900U and TP-Link T4U. The W311U worked with an old version of Peppermint, I'm not sure if the other two did. I downloaded drivers but was getting loads of errors attempting to install them. looking on the net people were saying to use an older kernel with them. To be honest the last thing I want to be doing is installing old kernels, I'd rather carry on rebooting the router every few days than mess about like that.

So is anyone using a wifi dongle with their Pepprmint install that they can recommend?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:12:14 pm by demag »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: What wifi adapter?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:00:04 am »
i had a problem similar to this in my home, i found out that my surrounding neighbors, all had their routers set to channel 6 on the 2.4ghz side of the router, and my older devices that did not have dual band wifi, and were stuck on the 2.4 ghz side of my router, were also using channel 6...  when i lost signal, mine would go down to about 2mbps, when i set my router to manual and changed my channel to channel 9, that problem went away...  my newer devices that use the 5g side of my router have no issues...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 04:11:35 pm »
Hi demag, I'm using a TP LINK model TL-WN722N that fix my dongle problem.
What was I thinking?

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 05:00:46 am »
yeah that is a very old device its only a 150N...
the issues i was having was with 300N and they told me i needed to buy a new device that was wireless AC...
i think my dongle i bought on ebay is 1200AC, and my router is 1900AC, when I set it on the 5g side i get the full speed of ISP, on the 2.4g side i get about 52mbps which is about half the speed of my ISP....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 and 10
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:11:26 pm »
Thanks for all the replies lads. Anyway what I eventually did was get the modem into the same room as the pc. I had to re route a few cables getting it all sorted and it all turned out a lot neater than I was expecting and now I have full speed all the time.