Author Topic: Settings not saved, some usb's not working (PARTIALLY SOLVED)  (Read 146 times)

Offline Luckyvision

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Hi all, so New guy here. i've been searching for an OS that would work with my old Dell D620 laptop since 98 is dead. i ran Phoenix OS for a while, then didnt use the laptop for a long time. decided to use it in my garage /shop (building a 74 Nova) so when i started it up again, Phoenix updated, and i could never get it to load again.

i had tried downloading a few distros, this was the first one i could actually get to work, but i have some issues:

first, it never remembers any settings.  on boot i've tried both Default and Live. (i honestly don't know the difference). i loaded Cheese to see if a USB camera i have would work, it did, but upon reboot it's gone as well as the pics i took.

when i say settings aren't remembered, i mean that every time, its like a completely new install.

second issue is that i use this laptop with the dock.  i know the dock works because 1) it works with xp, and 2 i have an external monitor plugged in that Peppermint recognizes. 

the problem is that there are USB ports on both the laptop and the dock that don't seem to work with Peppermint. (like i said,  they work otherwise, with xp.)
that leaves me 2 usb ports. one for the boot USB stick, and one for either the camera, mouse, or whatever else i need to plug in.  how do i enable the other ports? or do i just have to get a USB hub?

last (probably not) ignorant question: can i run Peppermint from the hard drive and not USB?

thank you all for this OS and and any help you can give! i do appreciate it!

--Lucky

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: peppermint Kernel: 5.0.0-37-generic i686 bits: 32 gcc: 7.4.0
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Latitude D620 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TD761 serial: N/A BIOS: Dell v: A09 date: 01/11/2008
Battery    BAT0: charge: 66.8 Wh 100.0% condition: 66.8/86.6 Wh (77%)
           model: SMP DELL PD6857 status: Full
CPU:       Dual core Intel T2400 (-MCP-) arch: Yonah rev.8 cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx) bmips: 7323
           clock speeds: max: 1833 MHz 1: 1592 MHz 2: 1544 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.4 )
           drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz, 1024x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
           version: 1.4 Mesa 19.0.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Logitech Webcam C200 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-003
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCIE
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 09:00.0
           IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
           driver: iwl4965 v: in-tree: bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: wlp12s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 75.5GB (3.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54106 size: 60.0GB temp: 35C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 15.5GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 713M used: 169M (24%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 0.37GB used: 0.03GB (8%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram0
           ID-3: swap-2 size: 0.37GB used: 0.03GB (8%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb cdrom:[Peppermint 10 (20191210) - Release i386]/ bionic main multiverse restricted universe
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/peppermint.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/peppermintos/p10-release/ubuntu bionic main
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/peppermintos/p10-respin/ubuntu bionic main
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 19:06 Memory: 466.3/1425.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:32:03 pm by Luckyvision »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Welcome, fellow Dell Latitude D620 user! You might not believe this, but...

I've been running Peppermint on a dedicated Dell Latitude D620 lappy bot machine 24/7/365 (literally) for years. Basically, I haven't turned it off since 2013.

Dell D-series lappies are arguably the best laptops that Dell ever made. I also own a Dell ATG D630 (my former 'Road Warrior'). These machines will outlive ALL of us, I'm sure.

That said, in response to your first question...

I assume you're running it off of a bootable Peppermint USB installation stick. If so, yes, the stick is intentionally a read-only device. Everything you 'save' is being saved to volatile memory only. It'll stay in memory, while your lappy is powered on; but, when the power is interrupted, e.g. turned off, the data 'stored' in memory is instantaneously lost.

If you plan to run your lappy on a USB stick, and retain the settings, pictures, and so forth, you'll need to build a bootable Peppermint USB with persistence. There are many ways of doing this. Here's a recent thread discussing how to do it: https://is.gd/I9Zrk9

I might mention: As an experiment, I ran the Dell D620 bot machine (above) on a bootable Peppermint USB stick w/persistence 24/7/365 for awhile. I wanted to test how long a USB stick with persistence could survive constant read/write operations before it died. In this (extreme) case, it survived about a year and a half before it started getting read/write errors.

On your second problem, I can't be of much help. I have two Dell docks - one for my Dell D620s, and one for my Dell E6430. Both of them work great, although I prefer using a KVM switch for external displays. Once again, if you're running off of a Peppermint installation stick (or any other ISO) you're undoubtedly missing a LOT of device drivers that would normally be included during the installation process.

If you want to run off of a USB stick, it's best to create a bootable USB stick with persistence first, then do a full install to it, instead of a HDD/SSD, as is normally done. That's what I (and many others) do, with success...   :)

Last question... Yes! Running Peppermint on a HDD/SSD is, of course, possible & preferable. SSDs are cheap, these days, and will make a huge improvement in performance.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:37:28 pm by VinDSL »

Offline Luckyvision

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Thank you! It seems that running off the internal hdd (or I have an external 1tb external Toshiba, how would that work?) would do it for me. Is there a tutorial for that install?

I think I would like to keep it dual boot just as a back up boot/online option.. everything else I own is Android. (Tablet, etc)

I think what surprised me was that Pheonix kept everything.

Yes this thing is a tank and I love it. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, even a SIM card if I wanted to add phone service.  I love this thing!

Offline Luckyvision

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Or I might just be an idiot, lol. I'm going to recheck the boot screen again. I think I didn't understand that the install option was to install to the hard drive (correct?)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:57:10 pm by Luckyvision »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Hi Luckyvision, Yes you should install it on your harddrive and making it dual boot is easy. You can boot up your usb stick just like you've been doing and in the upper left corner there should be an icon to istall Peppermint, Read up on how to dual boot first so you don't screw anything up, Good luck.
What was I thinking?

Offline Luckyvision

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
thanks, i did get it installed on my hard drive. wiped XP but thats ok with me.  i still have issues with the usb in the dock not working. though.