Author Topic: Deja Dup  (Read 715 times)

Offline straybit

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Deja Dup
« on: July 19, 2020, 08:21:25 pm »
Saw some one (Joseph) using this in another post and, investigating, I like it better than repeatedly copying whole directories to a 1tb USB drive.

I installed and launched it (from Software Manager.)  All I got was a message that it was waiting on Google.  Hours later, the message was unchanged.  No where was I given any opportunity to set preferences.

Obviously, I did some thing wrong - as usual - but what?

And it doesn't show up in the menu after repeated shut downs.

inxi
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

Bruce

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Deja Dup
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 01:56:14 pm »
Hi straybit, I just installed it from the Software Manager and found it in Accessories listed as Backups. I am in P 9 though.
What was I thinking?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:56:19 am »
Hi straybit,

The fact that it is not showing up in the menu combined with the fact that you installed it using the SoftwareManager makes me suspect that you have installed the program in the form of either a flatpak or a snap package. These are usually huge packages (in terms of using storage space on your computer, compared to the .deb packages of the same program) and are a constant source of trouble in various ways, which is why I never use them.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline straybit

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 05:17:50 pm »
Thanks, Slim.

I agree with you.

I read another post where the OP wished that Software Manager identified flatpak (or snap) packages.  One thing I've found with flatpak is that it is extremely slow to launch.

GnuCash is in the Peppermint repo, it is a very old version.  And flatpak only offers the newest version.

WPS Office is only flatpak and they are removing some of the features from the free version (like mail merge - I mail two dozen cards and another two dozen letters every month for my American Legion Post).  My old eyes have trouble reading LibreOffice.  And I won't use on-line programs (MS Office) because my internet is not as consistently stable during the panicdemic.

Would it be possible to compile GPL programs?  Most of my programming was in DOS C Language.  The few times I looked at gcc make files, I became very confused.  (You  can't confuse me!  I'm already confused  ;D )

Bruce

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 02:38:49 am »
Hi straybit,

I'm the wrong person to ask about compiling programs -- I never do it because I really do not know what to do when a problem prevents compilation (and every time I have attempted compiling anything it has failed  :-[ ).

You are not alone concerning slow start-up of flatpak programs -- it seems that only people with really fast hardware don't notice the start time being any  different.  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome