Author Topic: remove software without knowing where it's from + multiple same software  (Read 417 times)

Offline manchedepelle

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Dear Friends,

I got sometimes issue to remove some software.  I mean, sometime I've installed it from apt, snap or other ways.  But for a software I don't remember where it came from so I'm not able to remove it.  Anybody knows where I can't remove that software or how that I can knows where it came from so I'll be able to remove it ???

Also there is something that I've issue ... I had some issue with a version of software so i've installed it with differents ways where it was available.  Instead of installed the software over it, the same software was on my computer 2 or 3 times (once with apt, one with the software store, one with another way that I don't remembered ...)

So I've found out that the software folder isn't the same way that Windows manage it (I'm a new comer here on Linux, that's kinda different from Windows that i'm used to uses since 20 years ...)

Is there any ways to manage differently the software that I've installed by a graphic interface where I can see what is on my computer, so I won't the same issue that I've explain here ???  Also the included mintinsall store, some software there it's not the latest versionof the program, anybody knows how to get the latest one or I should use another way like the apt command in the terminal ??? (it's that reason at first that I've installed the software many times with other ways)

thank you so much for your help ... I know there's lot of question that I have from installing software and I hope that I've exposed clearly my many problems (managing installed sofware on computer + how to always have the latest software (I know the apt update and apt upgrade command ... but not for the other ways.)

Manche

Offline db9

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 Respin
Hi Manchedepelle,

To see a list of Snap packages installed on your computer type this in your terminal:
Code: [Select]
snap list
Type this into your terminal to see if you want to see if you have installed any Flatpak packages:
flatpak list
To see a list of all the  packages installed on your computer using Apt type this in the terminal:
sudo apt list --installed
This list  will not just include the packages you have installed yourself but will be a long list of packages and libraries. You may find it more useful to search for individual packages you may have installed like this:
sudo apt list --installed | grep program_name
For information on how to remove (and install) software using the Software Manager see this page on the Peppermint website:
https://peppermintos.com/guide/software/

I know I haven't been able to answer all your questions but I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 05:15:12 pm by db9 »

Offline manchedepelle

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Thanks Dave,

I really appreciate your help. It's a step further to success !!!