Author Topic: Pinguy or Cubic: which is better to use with Peppermint  (Read 235 times)

Offline ssybesma

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 (64-bit)
Pinguy or Cubic: which is better to use with Peppermint
« on: July 07, 2020, 10:40:49 pm »
I would love to create a more stripped down version of Peppermint than the one I'm currently using on my STCK1A8LFC's (Intel Compute Sticks with 1GB RAM and 8GB storage).  Stripped down in terms of memory and storage space.

I currently use 9 LXDE 64-bit but want to jump up to 10 Respin 64-bit.

What I have now works pretty well, but I think I can do better...I went though a dozen or so OS try-outs last year and Peppermint turned out the most efficient of the bunch and I've grown used to it and want to stick with it.

Do you have a preference for an ISO creation tool between Pinguy or Cubic or another one out there?  I was going to use a beefier Linux machine to run the ISO creator on and then use the ISO for one of my sticks, from which I will create a Clonezilla image once all the fine configuration is done to use for the rest of the sticks...as I have done before.

UPDATE: at the last minute I found something called Peppermint ISO Builder and need to throw this into the evaluation mix as well.

https://github.com/peppermintos/peppermint-iso-builder
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:55:33 pm by ssybesma »

Offline invisible

• Newly Subscribed
  • Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Pinguy or Cubic: which is better to use with Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:19:57 am »
Before you start to remaster a Peppermint iso, did you know that Peppermint 10 Respin has two installation modes?

Normal Installation and Minimal Installation.

The Minimal may be good enough for you as a stripped down version?

I have never used Pinguy or Peppermint-iso-builder therefore I can only suggest Cubic.

Cubic uses an iso  (I’m sure that Pinguy remasters a “running” system)

You can install Cubic in Peppermint (you do not need Ubuntu).

Cubic launchpad page is quick to respond to questions.

Having remastered an iso, you can then improve the remastered iso without starting from scratch.

You will need a reasonable knowledge of Peppermint and terminal commands in order to:-

(a) Use the terminal efficiently because that is where all the remastering is done.

(b) Add and remove themes, icons and wallpapers from relevant directory.

(c) Add and remove packages using apt.

(d) You can add additional package sources i.e. ppa

Once you have created your ideal remastered iso, the installation process to your device will be exactly as the original Peppermint installer.

Once installed, I would also recommend Clonezilla to repopulate your other devices.

Good luck

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:04:36 am »
Before you start to remaster a Peppermint iso, did you know that Peppermint 10 Respin has two installation modes?

Hi invisible and ssybesma,

FYI the two modes for installation are (to my best knowledge) identical.

Our previous developer and guru PCNetSpec wanted eventually to have a version with more installed apps (which would become the Normal installation) and one version with really a bare minimum of installed apps (the Minimal installation). Unfortunately, he did not live to see this to its logical conclusion. However, we are now working on something similar for PeppermintOS 11 -- whether we release that version with these two alternatives is still open, so do not take this as etched in stone.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline invisible

• Newly Subscribed
  • Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 11:20:47 am »
FYI the two modes for installation are (to my best knowledge) identical.

Thank you for the info.

I've only used Minimal Install in Ubuntu and I simply assumed that it would behave in the same way and only install Firefox & basic utilities etc.

I've not tried it in Peppermint 10.

Apologies for trying to rugby tackle ssybesma.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 11:35:36 am »
Hi invisible,

No apology needed.  :) PeppermintOS 10 already has few pre-installed apps since our philosophy is to permit the user to install what the user desires rather than delivering a bloated installation where the user either has to live with the bloat or spend time removing some of it and perhaps replacing installed apps with others that the user prefers to have.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline ssybesma

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:51:19 pm »

I can tell you that 'Minimal' would not be good enough, as it can be minimized a good bit further because for instance I don't need any internet browser. I want to take 'barebones' to a pretty low level but still be comfortably functional and cut out stuff I know I will never need to use. These 12 machines I have are 100% (very boring) workhorses that I rarely need to remote into and are not meant to be used for any type of casual use.
The main two app functions I need:  remoting in (currently using TeamViewer), and running an app called MPrime (which does factoring of potential Mersenne primes).
Besides that, a simple (not vi though) editor, file manager (nemo) and full root access to the entire filesystem (chroot?)...not a heck of a lot else software-wise but I need the GUI (desktop environment).
As far as hardware support, mainly HDMI video for occasional connection to a monitor (usually headless operation), wifi, USB...not much else.  The Intel Compute Stick is a very minimal hardware device. I don't need audio for instance.
As far as partition configuration, I prefer the swap not be a separate partition and rather be a file as part of the overall OS and app partition because it's a lot easier to adjust the size of a file than redo partitions and less eMMC space is wasted.
With a decent tool,  it seems like I can reduce more packages then I have by command line uninstalls to save disk space and potentially increase my swap file size.
It seems like I can prevent some more things from loading in memory aside from just TeamViewer and MPrime.
So the tool I look for would help me to do all that.
I have learned in uninstalling things not to mess with the Peppermint Default Desktop...hahaha!  Hard lesson learned a couple times!
I'm thinking I can do about 20% better overall (less apps loading in memory and less space taken up on the eMMC) than I have last year when I created the image I use.
This in my theory would help the MPrime app run more effectively and give it more resources to use, and possibly help with heat issues because of possibly a tiny bit less CPU activity.
I don't want to throttle the one app I want to use however...I want that running 100% full bore 24 hours a day which is what it has been doing for over a year (most of that time).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:24:21 pm by ssybesma »

Offline ssybesma

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:33:51 pm »

Our previous developer and guru PCNetSpec wanted eventually to have a version with more installed apps (which would become the Normal installation) and one version with really a bare minimum of installed apps (the Minimal installation). Unfortunately, he did not live to see this to its logical conclusion.
-- Slim

I'm coming into this 6 months late. I'm sorry to hear about Mark Greaves.  Very hard to replace the founder who had the original vision. I hope the people coming up after him will carry on with what he laid down. Great little OS.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 08:11:48 am »
I'm coming into this 6 months late. I'm sorry to hear about Mark Greaves.  Very hard to replace the founder who had the original vision. I hope the people coming up after him will carry on with what he laid down. Great little OS.

Many thanks for your condolences @ssybesma... there's  both an announcement

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9283.0.html

and a memorial fund...

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9402.0.html

It was shocking and unexpected... both for his family and his team here.

That said, while @PCNetSpec has been with Peppermint OS for so long one may be forgiven for thinking so, he was not the founder. Yet his vision added extra layers of spit and polish over the  7 releases he had a hand in.

#teampeppermintOS hopes to carry that forward as we re-coalesce to produce a Peppermint 11 he'd be happy to lift a few pints over.

8)
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.