Author Topic: Peppermint 11 - What we would like to see..  (Read 1683 times)

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Peppermint 11 - What we would like to see..
« on: July 04, 2020, 03:21:51 pm »
Hey guys!

We dared to express our opinion on what we would like to see in the next version of our beloved OS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciuE53ztTzM

:)

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
Re: Peppermint 11 - What we would like to see..
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 04:51:25 pm »
Fantastic video, thanks for sharing.

Personally, I agree with you that the light themes are a bit low contrast for my taste as well. :D

We do have XFCE's default application launcher in Peppermint 10 Respin activated by Alt + F2
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:12:15 am »
Default Pepp 10 Respin Arc-red-dark theme is perfect, for me ;) Light themes I don't care about because I don't use them, but he's right the fonts are harder to see.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:25:13 am by Johan »
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 10:41:27 am »
Hey guys!

We dared to express our opinion on what we would like to see in the next version of our beloved OS...

The mirsonni team did well again.  Always dare to express an opinion, you never know when a good idea will spring from it.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 01:00:56 am »
Hi mirsonni,

Thank you for the well-made video and the thoughtful ideas expressed in it !!  ;)

While it required more time than desired for the new PeppermintOS team to be organized, we are now hard at work, and the new version 11 is progressing nicely. Some of your ideas will be incorporated (some only partially because of time and resource restraints -- but these might be more fully incorporated in any following "Respins" that we deliver).

I too am a fan of the AppImage approach and will be a promoter for inclusion in our future release(s).  8)

And as josephd (posted above) and stevesveryown (commented in your YouTube channel) have said, we already have two features very similar to ULauncher. Perhaps you had overlooked them? We really do need to make users more aware of these shortcuts!

Keep up the good work and reward your young YouTube stars for us.  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:16:11 am »
the icon issue is likely a limitation of the numix icon theme, missing icons or configuration. if you want to replace the missing icons right click it on the menu and edit application. from there you can set your own icons

the font issue in the light arc themes is down to the colour used, had it almost fixed yesterday then changed something and ruined the whole theme,  just as well i tested it on a cloned theme :D ill give it another go and will give you something to test once im at the stage to just leave it alone.

update
heres a modified version of the arc red theme, some of the menu & tab text is in the old colour but the active stuff is in black. Let me know if works for you, the themes should be rebuilt from source but im useless at compiling and dont have the source materials either.

https://www95.zippyshare.com/v/U878Dti6/file.html
open nemo as root then move theme folder into usr/share/themes. pick arc red pep from the themes menu
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:32:59 am by rayzer »
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 08:16:01 am »
Fantastic video, thanks for sharing.

Personally, I agree with you that the light themes are a bit low contrast for my taste as well. :D

We do have XFCE's default application launcher in Peppermint 10 Respin activated by Alt + F2

Thank you for your kind words!

We are aware of the Alt+F2 combination, of course. It's just that we have made the video from the novice users' perspective. We have all the time been asking ourselves, 'could an Average Joe immidiately grasp all the shortcuts and tricks of the OS?'

It does not, of course, mean that out attitude is right, we just want to attrackt as many people as possible to Peppermint OS, because we do really really think it is THE best distribution. That's why we have been keeping that 'novice users' perspective'.

Anyway, your kind words are additional motivation for our team to keep on making videos.

m.

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 08:17:16 am »
Default Pepp 10 Respin Arc-red-dark theme is perfect, for me ;) Light themes I don't care about because I don't use them, but he's right the fonts are harder to see.

Thank you!!!

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 08:21:17 am »
Hey guys!

The mirsonni team did well again.  Always dare to express an opinion, you never know when a good idea will spring from it.

Thank you so much!

You have no idea how much your support mean to us. Honestly. In our team, we have no coders or programmers or anything like that. We are just a bunch of literally average computer users, who more or less have accidentally stumbled upon Linux. We have a need to express our opinion, but the fact that we are not IT professionals sometimes maybe make us cautious about how the community will react.

m.

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 08:27:38 am »
Hi mirsonni,

Thank you for the well-made video and the thoughtful ideas expressed in it !!  ;)

While it required more time than desired for the new PeppermintOS team to be organized, we are now hard at work, and the new version 11 is progressing nicely. Some of your ideas will be incorporated (some only partially because of time and resource restraints -- but these might be more fully incorporated in any following "Respins" that we deliver).

I too am a fan of the AppImage approach and will be a promoter for inclusion in our future release(s).  8)

And as josephd (posted above) and stevesveryown (commented in your YouTube channel) have said, we already have two features very similar to ULauncher. Perhaps you had overlooked them? We really do need to make users more aware of these shortcuts!

Keep up the good work and reward your young YouTube stars for us.  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim

:) :) :) :)

To put it simply, we can't believe that the Pepp OS team have taken OUR ideas into consideration!?

Thank you so very much! But... The most importantly, The new Pepp 11 version is on the way, and that is the music for our ears!  :)

When it comes to Ulauncher, we know that there are other options, similar to Ulauncher, but it is our opinion that Ulauncher is very simple and straightforward and that even the most computer-"illiterate" user would easily master it.

m

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 08:28:29 am »
the icon issue is likely a limitation of the numix icon theme, missing icons or configuration. if you want to replace the missing icons right click it on the menu and edit application. from there you can set your own icons

the font issue in the light arc themes is down to the colour used, had it almost fixed yesterday then changed something and ruined the whole theme,  just as well i tested it on a cloned theme :D ill give it another go and will give you something to test once im at the stage to just leave it alone.

update
heres a modified version of the arc red theme, some of the menu & tab text is in the old colour but the active stuff is in black. Let me know if works for you, the themes should be rebuilt from source but im useless at compiling and dont have the source materials either.

https://www95.zippyshare.com/v/U878Dti6/file.html
open nemo as root then move theme folder into usr/share/themes. pick arc red pep from the themes menu

Thank you so much for your effort. We will give it a try.

m

Offline straybit

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 10:48:03 am »
Enjoyed the video and the comments.
Personally, I've had trouble with the dark themes mainly because the white letters are so small and hard for my aging eyes to see.  I've tried several of the non-dark themes and still find them hard to read.  I suppose that it is that I learned on larger white fonts on a black background (CP/M and DOS).  On Firefox, I can't even see the minimize, restore, and quit buttons.  And I never learned to read pictographs so I need readable labels on all of them.

I've been very happy with Peppermint in spite of some issues that were my own fault.  I commend the developers as they proceed.  My previous distribution is still floundering since their developer has semi-retired.

Bruce

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 12:01:39 pm »
Enjoyed the video and the comments.
Personally, I've had trouble with the dark themes mainly because the white letters are so small and hard for my aging eyes to see.  I've tried several of the non-dark themes and still find them hard to read.  I suppose that it is that I learned on larger white fonts on a black background (CP/M and DOS).  On Firefox, I can't even see the minimize, restore, and quit buttons.  And I never learned to read pictographs so I need readable labels on all of them.

search for font dpi in the main menu and increase it. might help with that issue
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline RedWhite Canuck

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9R, 10R
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 02:41:30 pm »
I mostly agree with the video suggestions.  I am a fan of the dark themes and I also install Ulauncher in each version of Peppermint.   

I especially liked the comment  to focus on work flow as I use Peppermint 10R as my daily work machine to run Win10 in virt-manager as I need access to Outlook and Solidworks over VPN (remote worker).   

My external monitor is placed above my laptop(Thinkpad W530) screen so I can move windows up and down as I find side to side movements cumbersome. 

I use the panel in a vertical orientation(deskbar) to allow a taller usable screen area and it allows an uninterupted vertical screen view between monitors.   The preview option would not help my work flow as I remove "Window Buttons" from the panel items and use "Window Menu" to select between open windows.    I tried window buttons in the deskbar panel but the panel is too thin to be able to distinguish what is running.  Perhaps a preview would allow the use of "window buttons" in the deskbar configuration?

I also have xfdashboard installed for when I have I have lots of windows open because the heads up display is most useful then. 

I also wholeheartedly agree with use of Appimages and I have Appimage launcher installed to make management easier and to achieve menu integration.  I have several softwares that only come as appimages ( such as pcloud). 

My wish list would include better Nvida Optimus graphics handling.  I am currently running the Nouveau driver as the Nvidia driver does not recognize/keep my vertical monitor placement very well. 

Let me know if I can help test any new features.  I have a few different thinkpad laptops available for testing.       

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 08:12:50 pm »
A XFCE theme's colors is almost entirely CSS. I bet we could increase the contrast of those light sets very easily.  ;)
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."