Author Topic: (Update and Solved) Need to reinstall /boot partition  (Read 692 times)

Dans-Lamp

(Update and Solved) Need to reinstall /boot partition
« on: June 29, 2020, 01:29:07 am »
Update and how to solve problem at the bottom of the post

I have never used linux before and I wanted to try it, so I recently downloaded Peppermint 10 Respin on a 32gb consisting of a 6.5gb partition for root filesystem, 100mb boot partition and 24gb fat32 partition for general usb use. My goal was to have a portable system on a usb that has the most general programs on it such as gparted and the libreoffice suite, while still allowing it to be a usb. I have run into a number of problems on my way. First was getting peppermint to install on just the 6.5gb partition. I eventually solved that by reinstalling peppermint but making sure that it used a gpt scheme as mbr is very outdated. I then tried to install wine but that obviously didn't work out when I had just 1.5gb of free space and I think some of it is still taking up space (despite doing apt-get remove and cache clean), I just have less space. Then I decided to make my root partition bigger to accomodate any applications that I might want (which is just the most general purpose such as the libreoffice suite). To do this I set out to delete the usb fat32 partition and move the boot partition to the end of the usb so I could resive my root filesystem. However the boot partition couldn't be moved. I thought I could just remake it as when you go in the disks program you can edit the partition to be a system partition and be bios boot. So I foolishly deleted the partition, gave the root partition all the space as I could just resize the usb partition later and made a partition that I thought would be a boot partition but obviously wasn't. Cue a black screen. I loaded my live session cd and tried the grub-install command but it said something about ????blocks not being reliable. Then I tried a more specific command and it gave me the same error and also said that it wouldn't work with my gpt scheme. Throughout all this I was wondering if it was possible to boot peppermint from uefi, but I think my iso was setup for bios. The position I am in now is to either try the grub-install command again or reinstall peppermint or try another distro. I am honestly leaning toward installing another distro (mx linux or linux lite) and I feel a bit guilty because for the small amount of time I used the Peppermint it was nice to use and simple but it just didn't vibe with me whether it was the look (don't like it) or the problems that I encountered which I admit was my own fault. I spent an uncomfortable amount of time fixing those problems and I still feel lost. I feel like I should get a new distro (particularly since both mx and lite has libreoffice) and just not mess with anything under the surface level. I realise that this post is now just a rant but I just needed to vent and I wanted to say that peppermint IS awesome, it just doesn't vibe with me. For now I am going to either install mx linux or linux lite (if you can help decide and how much space needed would be appreciated) and keep my peppermint live cd in storage, unless the /boot problem can be solved and I can somehow figure out how to give more space to the root filesystem. Thanks again Peppermint.

Update: thank you for all the replies and you are all absolutely right in that I need more than just 6.5gb for peppermint, as I stated in my og post I was trying to give it more space but the boot partition was in the way between that root and the rest of the usb hence why i deleted it and why I need it back.
Before I explain how to solve the problem I just want to rectify that as long as you have the 64 bit iso you can boot from uefi or bios, I just didn't look and my burner software didn't give me a choice or specify that.
So how do you solve the problem? First I want to state that this will apply to whether you had a /boot partition you deleted or a boot file in the root filesystem that you deleted because /boot is still mounted to the boot file in the root filesystem, the whole /boot, /home and etc. partition thing when installing is just linux giving you an option to give these files a seperate partition.So, afaik to fix your boot is to install and update the grub bootloader that linux uses and you have to install in the boot file in the root filesystem (again /boot partition is just a partition for the boot file in the root filesystem) and this post will show you how https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8041.msg82285.html#msg82285 . Note that you have to do this from either another distro that can do the grub-install command or from the livecd. And that should be it (although I should say I wouldn't know as I just installed another distro instead), past this is going to be about my experience.
I as I just said I decided that instead of reinstalling grub, I decided to use another distro, mx linux. I did this because I realised that peppermint as a straightforward and robust internet focused distro was not what I wanted, instead what I wanted was a distro that did not need to be connected to the internet to be useful, which means that it has a good selection of programs out of the box which peppermint does not. mx linux fills my needs amazingly giving many tools as well as libreoffice and even vlc out the box all while being just 5gb for a fresh install. While peppermint is an admirable distro it has a few problems/criticisms seperate from my misplaced expectations.
1) First is to the slim selection of programs out the box that I alluded to earlier. I know the peppermint is about living in the cloud but having some essential programs out the box is something everyone appreciates. I also understand there is a whole open source aspect to it but you should at least give the option during installation. Even the livecd of peppermint has gparted while the actual thing doesnt.
2) Giving more programs out the box would raise the size used of fresh install to 6gb which leads to my 2nd criticism. Peppermint evidently uses 5gb for a fresh install which means it will not fit on 4gb usb and that is with a slim selection of programs. I know that the iso is just 1.5gb but most iso's are under 4gb as well and livecd's are different. In fact mx linux is just 5gb for a fresh install and that includes all the programs it comes with.
3) Is more of a nitpick, but I think you guys have to get past the grey red colour scheme by adding white and/or black as well as make the red interchangeable with other colours. In fact one of the reasons I chose to use peppermint was because the photo in the list it was included in, showed it to look like more like manjaro than it actually does.
Another nitpick is the fact that despite being a hybrid, the dektop environment is just xfce and you should accept that, the ram savings are nothing. Speaking of ram savings, peppermint is not a lightweight os. Sure it takes less ram and space than other popular distros but it is actually the same as every other xfce distro and when you have distros that actually take an incredibly low amount of ram such as antix and puppy, coupled with the fact that it takes up 5gb (really should be 6gb) of space, I feel like it is disingenuous to call peppermint lightweight and should instead be called midweight same as other distros of the same class.
That isn't all to say that peppermint is bad because peppermint is still a good distro that is easy to recommend, I just feel like it isn't amazing as lots of reviews pin it to be and certainly not when it is very similar other distros which are unfairly called out for their own problems. If you were to ask me to give a review of peppermint os I would point to these 2 reviews as they I feel they are the most true, although the 2nd is just a bit harsh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fieaPmb1tv8 , https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/peppermint-10-review.html .
To end I would like to thank you all once again, for the replies but more importantly making a nice distro which gave me a little taste of the linux world and I hope you can continue to improve both your distro and community.
Side note: can you delete this account because I will not be needing it anymore seeing as I will not be using peppermint anymore and it will irritate my OCD and also be a ghost account on this lovely forum.
Hope you have a nice day and one more time, thanks Peppermint!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:59:25 am by Dans-Lamp »

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Need to reinstall /boot partition
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:43:32 pm »
For such a limited install space I would suggest trying Proteus.
http://www.porteus.org/

Although its intended for USB drives It could be installed on a small partition.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:01:29 am »
Throughout all this I was wondering if it was possible to boot peppermint from uefi, but I think my iso was setup for bios.

Of course it's possible but your PC has to be set up to boot via UEFI. Why do you think MBR is "outdated"?

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 04:26:28 am »
can you replace some of the installed applications with ice apps? set it up like a chromebook of sorts.
purge some of the software you dont need and do the rest online, for example instead of using a media player to play music open an mp3 in your browser instead.
i mostly use the terminal myself, for office theres the online microsoft office, photopea for image editing and so on..
using synaptic to clear out old kernels etc is a good way to save space too, make sure to reboot before doing it.

if you want something lighter maybe slitaz, tinycore plus or the puppy distros are what you want.
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:17:14 am »
Hi Dans-Lamp, if you are thinking about reinstalling, then get yourself at least a 32gb usb stick. 4 and 8gb sticks are only good for burning the iso file to and using as an installation media.
What was I thinking?

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 09:45:34 am »
Or to be on the safe side at least 64GB or higher and if you can get a Sandisk one as they never fail, or they haven't for me.  ;)
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 04:04:37 pm »
I've installed Peppermint, and a few others, on a 16gig usb several times.  I have never set up my partitions, I just let the installer do it's job.  Is there a particular reason you wanted to set up partitioning? 

Dans-Lamp

Re: (Update and Solved) Need to reinstall /boot partition
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 02:01:31 am »
Update in the original post and can you guys delete this account, I don't want it or need it anymore, thanks again everyone!

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 02:50:50 am »
Peppermint doesnt include a lot of software out of the box because its about allowing the user to make that choice and look at it more as a base to build your own distro. MX is a fine distro but its fully loaded like Mint, its not for everyone. Either way good luck with your linux experience :)
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 02:42:55 pm »
it will not fit on 4gb usb

Nobody ever claimed it should, I don't think. Most sensible people would be trying to use at least 4GB RAM in this day and age, never mind a system drive.

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 07:21:33 pm »
Account deleted per Dans-Lamp's request.

I want to keep this thread available as a reminder to myself to post not only the CPU, RAM, requirements but storage specs as well for the next release of Peppermint.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:23:35 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."