Author Topic: Blank screen on wakeup  (Read 114 times)

Offline straybit

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Blank screen on wakeup
« on: June 27, 2020, 02:46:24 pm »
I've several posts on this issue but couldn't find any thing recent/relevant.  inxi:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]
I have the screen blank when I close the lid under power.  Nothing seems to wake it up and have to do a hard power off.  Same thing if I have it go to sleep via the start menu.
I ran nvidea-settings with the following message:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]
Then I googled nvidea and downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.137.run.  On checking it out, it is a shell script.  I set permissions to allow it to run in terminal and executed it.  After some checking, it said that x server was running and I needed exit it.  So in terminal, I typed 'init 2' which gave a black screen with a cursor.  Another Power off!
I also tried one of the alternate grub selections but still got the gui.
Tried logging in on the cli login, it showed what I had typed and went into the gui.

How do I exit x server?

Bruce

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Blank screen on wakeup
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 01:37:11 am »
I don't know but
If you're installing on a system that is set up to use the Nouveau driver, then you should first disable it before attempting to install the NVIDIA driver.
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/304.137/README/installdriver.html

Offline straybit

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 01:30:38 pm »
Thanks, Murraymint.  That contains a lot of reading.  And I do want to understand it before I under take the installation.

Unless another solution shows up.

Bruce

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:39:02 pm »
@straybit, does your laptop allow for turning off the GPU. If so does it still occur using Intel's graphics

Perhaps try switching to an alternative nvidia driver. I usually get 2-3 options when I check under my hardware settings.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."