Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 3 - alternate Non PAE kernel?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline kuddib

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Peppermint 3 - alternate Non PAE kernel?
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »
Hi All,

I have a few questions related to Non Pae and kernels. First a little background:

Reason for Non PAE is that I have two old laptops (hp NX7000 & IBM T40p) which are still very stable. I have been using them for years running XP, however over time the system updates have almost absorbed their available resources.

I have spent some time testing Peppermint 3 (LXDE) (Kernel 3.2) and AV Linux 6.0 (LXDE) (Kernel 3.0.36) as well as Mint 13 (XFCE) (Kernel 3.2). In all these distros I installed Reaper using PlayOnlinux Wine interface, and added Wineasio as a plugin.

Basicly all 3 runs nice and smooth on my old IBM T40p Non Pae, however only the AV Linux I have been able to setup Reaper so it plays back without audio glitches/stuttering. I also have tested newer versions of AV Linux but with limited luck.

I like the peppermint 3 and I would like to continue using it and I am looking for ways to uptimize it.

My questions:

a) Is the glitch/stuttering related to the kernel being standard vs low latency vs realtime?
b) Is kernel 3.2 less suited for audio purposes than kernel 3.0.36?
c) Can Kernel 3.2 be optimised for audio purposes and how?
d) Which kernel should I choose, and how can I change/update?

BR

Kurt

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Peppermint 3 - alternate Non PAE kernel?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »
Hi All,

I have a few questions related to Non Pae and kernels. First a little background:

Reason for Non PAE is that I have two old laptops (hp NX7000 & IBM T40p) which are still very stable. I have been using them for years running XP, however over time the system updates have almost absorbed their available resources.

I have spent some time testing Peppermint 3 (LXDE) (Kernel 3.2) and AV Linux 6.0 (LXDE) (Kernel 3.0.36) as well as Mint 13 (XFCE) (Kernel 3.2). In all these distros I installed Reaper using PlayOnlinux Wine interface, and added Wineasio as a plugin.

Basicly all 3 runs nice and smooth on my old IBM T40p Non Pae, however only the AV Linux I have been able to setup Reaper so it plays back without audio glitches/stuttering. I also have tested newer versions of AV Linux but with limited luck.

I like the peppermint 3 and I would like to continue using it and I am looking for ways to uptimize it.

My questions:

a) Is the glitch/stuttering related to the kernel being standard vs low latency vs realtime?
b) Is kernel 3.2 less suited for audio purposes than kernel 3.0.36?
c) Can Kernel 3.2 be optimised for audio purposes and how?
d) Which kernel should I choose, and how can I change/update?

BR

Kurt
Welcome to the forum Kurt
Please open a terminal window and type
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
this way you will be helping us to help you, thanks...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »
Are you sure it's a kernel issue at all ?

does AV linux have pulseaudio installed where the others don't ?

have you tried installing pulseaudio in Peppermint 3 ?
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils pavucontrol
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:34:17 pm »
I am downloading av linux now to try it on the T22 since it works on a T40 it may work for me also and I can then tell you what and how it runs... :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40