Author Topic: Re: Revisiting Installing Yandex Browser Through The Terminal  (Read 491 times)

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
It's been a while so I took a  peek at Yandex Browser recently, and I'm disappointed.  In order to save bookmarks, you now have to sign into Yandex.  Yes, you can still save sites on its Tableau Page, but using a browser that forces a user to sign in in order to save bookmarks is no browser I want to use.

It's a shame too.  Yandex browser is gorgeous.  It's secure, and it's fast, and it has so much potential.  I'm so bummed. :(
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 10respin
Re: Re: Revisiting Installing Yandex Browser Through The Terminal
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 08:39:53 am »
Okay, I am just a noob; nd i knew.. it isn't THAT solution...
But when i wanna keep "bookmarks"; i made copy&paste of the url into Text-Editor file.

Okay, this isn't the sense of it - but i duno lose the url

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 07:02:08 pm »
Hi LordKaan,

It's so easy to add a bookmark to the bookmark's bar in Brave, Chromium, Firefox, or Chrome; and, unless you want to, you don't have to sign in and sync your data in order to save a simple bookmark.  I've always been a fan of Yandex, but I see potential privacy problems with Yandex's approach to bookmarking.  Now that said, you can save all the sites you'd like in Yandex's Tableau page, so there is a readily available workaround.  But then if you save all your bookmarks on it's Tableau page, you won't be able to enjoy the phenomenal wallpapers they have because your screen will be all covered with miniature computer graphics. ::)

Yandex for Linux is still in beta, but it's fast, and it's cool looking little browser -- and it's got a DNSCrypt feature too, which itself is cool.  That said, I notice Cisco from the US isn't available in its DNS lineup now.  And a lot of its listings for DNS just don't work -- at least they don't work from here in the States.  :-\
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 12:50:57 pm »
okay, sry to hear it;
I just wanna offer u a simple solution...

Is your recommandation to install the browser still acutall?
It is from 2016 and PM7

Cause i am curios now and wanna try

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
okay, sry to hear it;
I just wanna offer u a simple solution...

Is your recommandation to install the browser still acutall?
It is from 2016 and PM7

Cause i am curios now and wanna try

Hi LordKaan,

I don't know.  It's been a few years since I've tried installing Yandex browser from the terminal. :-\

Here is a link for a normal installation without making use of the terminal.  Remember, LordKaan, Yandex browser for Linux is still in beta. ;)

Good luck with it.  I hope you enjoy it.

perknh

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 01:48:20 pm »
THX

I tested and tryed; still would do;
without any account

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »
I tested and tryed; still would do;
without any account

Hi LordKaan,

What did you do?  Did you use the terminal when you installed Yandex, or did you download and install it?

Were you able to save bookmarks on the bookmarks bar without setting up an account?

Also, how do you like it?  Personally, I think Yandex made a pretty cool browser, even though bookmarking was driving me nuts.

perknh

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:59:41 pm by perknh »

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:28:39 pm »
Hi;
made as : Download from Page; and install with Gdebi;
start and made "personaly", means include some extanions like "pinky"
which i need for "The settlers online"
But therefor he explain me: He want "Flash" (it is allready installed)
evn in the settings i told him The page is fine - go on
but he don t let me
So, thiss browser is out for me (for the moment)

For the bookmarks - he told me, i need an account
The setting are in german (in my mother langua) but a lot of the display things are in russian

I don t want an account, so i went up to the 3 lines (it s in the right corner above)
and he let me bookmark as Tableau

So, i see a icon at the startpage - when i use this option
Finaly, not very helpfull for me; its to confusing (while writing this, i didnt find itagain)

For the moment, i let it - cause troubles with this machine under linux;
so, i could test - if it is fast enough , p.a newspaper, forum etc.

For the bookmarks:
Okay, i can do my lazzy way; means copy&paste into a textfile,
and transfer this textfile (or html file, in case u prefer) into the cloud (google) storage
so i can import into other browsers

I knew, this isn helpfull, but a kind of solution

---

OT:
so, for my use , i do not think, i will keep it - too much in russian; and i cant read this langua and auto translation isnt the deal; and all th yandex offer i wouldn t use (yet)

Even (personaly)for the Settlers (all) new browsers are not helpfull, cause flash,
so i use the old chrome 66 from slimjet-site, just for this game

As i got: I can use extansions wich i need/want... this is a good plus for it

-------------
Edit2:
I tested now few options: Ad Blocker (Built in) and Donloader for you tube
Okay, the good thing for the adblocker:
He filtered most of the advertisment and,other as in chrome, on websites wich check, that i have a switched off webblocker ... the really ignore him ... so i duno have to use 2 brwosers

At youtube he exlain me... i am russian...
okay, i duno if it is my fault, but i could download a full hd video only in 360
i have the feeling, for more options, u have to pay a little fee
If u just wanna get the audio.. its okay, and there are better browsers, like torch

Speed:
I have a lokal newspaper, which makes me normaly a lot of troubles(really worse programming)
(oe24.at)
Even with fast internet, mostly the pictures load never/slow
But ith this browser i see them all; he is quick

So, i will keep testing

The tableau window i got in view, when i went into url line (to give a new adress), than he offer mme this "bookmark"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:20:38 am by LordKaan »

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 02:51:04 pm »
Thanks for the report, LordKaan.   Its focus is definitely on Russia and the Russian language.  And as for Flash, I don't run it any longer, but then I don't do any games that may need it either. 

Overall, I like Yandex's brower, but I want to be able to use it with bookmarks without setting up an account. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with the browser, LordKaan. :)

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 02:56:09 pm »
OT:
As long this onlinegame (since 2010, or something like this, online) doesn t offer a other solution for the moment.. i have to use flash... too much sparetime i spend for this game
But this is just personnaly use

About bookmars;
i will create a new accound - and give u a hint, if you can do with any Name/datas
or if they want real datas

Normaly i named things like this,after the name of the machine; like "surf.book.at@"

So, for me this isnt a big thing; cause i guess, i will delete PM X from this device (to much troubles) - i have other devices; so i can test as long, as i want

Cant do this really, cause the "create an account" is in russian - andi find no way for translation
Sry, mate - i tryed

Reload page; while your comment, i made edit 2 above
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:19:37 am by LordKaan »

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Re: Revisiting Installing Yandex Browser Through The Terminal
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 04:25:00 pm »
Decided to split this off, so @Lord Khan might be able to mark this (Abandoned), (Resolved) or (SOLVED) as his use case warrants...

;)

I'm still baffled by your interest in this Russian browser though
@perknh...

:-\
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:27:58 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 03:20:01 am »
I'm still baffled by your interest in this Russian browser though[/color] @perknh...

My interest is harmless.  Just trying to keep an eye on things.  The bookmarks issue I recently discovered demonstrates how government policy concerning privacy is being baked into the browser.

Offline LordKaan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 05:16:14 am »
OT:
We call it: "Open minded";
and as i got it.. the "bad spell" over yandex (beware of yandex, they are dangerouse/illigal) is long time go away.
Nowerdays, it s one of the big Markets, and normal as "Walmart" in USA, or Alibaba;

So i was curios in it; but at least, for me it isn t helpfull, cause all links/refers ends in russian langua - p.e. when i went into youtube, all recommands are in russian.

However; it remember me on "Vivaldi"-Browser,
and i duno, if it is the same "browser-family"

@spence; I cant mark anything - its not my thread

I agree, maybe some infos are of topic (by my testing) - i can mark them,
but i duno, if this thread should be split

all things are said, so i guess, it shouldnt be split, and it went away by it self into past tense of questions to yandex browser
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:18:57 am by LordKaan »

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 09:12:57 am »
OT:
We call it: "Open minded";
and as i got it.. the "bad spell" over yandex (beware of yandex, they are dangerouse/illigal) is long time go away.
Nowerdays, it s one of the big Markets, and normal as "Walmart" in USA, or Alibaba;

I've been fascinated with Yandex for years.  It's a great multinational corporation that has found itself in a bit of a jam.  From what I can see, Yandex finds itself needing to walk a fine line between two extremes these days.  On one hand it needs to respect the data regulations found within the liberal democracies of western Europe that support and protect personal data privacy rights, while, on the other hand, it also needs to contend with data regulations within Russia that are much less supportive of personal privacy.  This is a tough balancing act, but it's the situation in which Yandex finds itself these days.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:01:38 pm by perknh »