Author Topic: Laptop VIA Chrome 9 HC resolution 640x480 only on Peppermint 10 but correct on 6  (Read 522 times)

Offline RobertSteed

• Newly Subscribed
  • Unspoilt By Progress
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6,10
Hi, this laptop's video card is VIA Chrome 9 HC; the computer model is Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1705. I hadn't used it for a few years; Peppermint 6 was installed; the screen resolution was correct so I guess it had good video drivers. After installing Peppermint 10 Respin (from scratch) the only screen resolution available was 640x480. The live boot CD OS instance had better resolutions but not the correct one, which is 1280x800. I tried installing Peppermint 9 - same problem. I then tried installing other distros - Linux Mint Xfce and LXLE - the situation was the same as with Peppermint 10, i.e. good but not correct resolution on live boot, only 640x480 after installation. I've now downloaded and re-installed Peppermint 6 and updated it via the interwebs - the resolution is once again correct at 1280x800. Why don't current distros have the correct drivers and how can I get them, if that's the issue?
The output of inxi -G on Pep 6 is:
Code: [Select]
Graphics:  Card: VIA CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC]
           X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: openchrome (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.2hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2

In all cases, I installed a 32-bit OS and from scratch, and Additional Drivers never came up with any video drivers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:03:02 pm by spence »

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Hello and welcome back to our forums @RobertSteed! ... I have encapsulated your terminal output for you this time...

a quick crunchbang search of our forums:

Code: [Select]
!p VIA CN896/VN896/P4M900

via our run menu turns up this thread:

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6341.0.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:06:18 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi RobertSteed,

I am quite sure that the problem lies not with the distros but with the newer kernels that are available for the distros to use. I think that they no longer include drivers for your old video card. If you really wish to continue using the machine but with newer distros then you will almost certainly need to replace the video card with something newer.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline RobertSteed

• Newly Subscribed
  • Unspoilt By Progress
    • View Profile
Hello @spence - thanks for that. What is that crunchbang search? A brief search reveals that reveals that CrunchBang is a Linux distro. Anyway, do you think if I installed Peppermint 10 then OpenChrome, it would work?

Offline RobertSteed

• Newly Subscribed
  • Unspoilt By Progress
    • View Profile
I am quite sure that the problem lies not with the distros but with the newer kernels that are available for the distros to use. I think that they no longer include drivers for your old video card. If you really wish to continue using the machine but with newer distros then you will almost certainly need to replace the video card with something newer.
Hi Slim,
Thanks. Howcome drivers aren't independent of the kernel? Anyway I can't replace the video card because this is a laptop with a built-in video card.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Hello @spence - thanks for that. What is that crunchbang search?

click on Menu then in the run/start box type:

!p then enter your search term

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.