Author Topic: Linux Mint, wants nothing to do with Ubuntu's Snap software... ... ...  (Read 1306 times)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:17:05 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Understandable.   :)

I can almost understand the reason(s) for running containers on servers; but, Snap is one of the first things I purge on a desktop install.

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Call me old fashioned, if I wanted every application I install to pull down a duplicate copies of dependencies I'd switch to Windows.

I've never been convinced that snaps and flatpacks aren' more than shortcuts. Yes they're stable, yes they work wonderfully but If my application can be stored at a small fraction of the space and share resources with another application... That makes for a leaner and faster system.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:08:55 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I/we mighta entered the fray by commenting into the Linux group on MeWe... with :

[/color]

#TeamPeppermintOS aren't interested either... we won't block, but won't support...

::)
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline josephd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
Its best not to take an official position on such things. Especially since neither of us are the developers building the next release of Peppermint.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
haven't we pretty much made a decision...

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9712.0.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:27:38 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline josephd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
I suppose so  :D

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Well, it's hard to tell... There are really pros and cons when it comes to Snaps. Me personally, I try to stay away from them, but... What I have noticed is that average users simply do not care, at least. They just look for their system to do what they want it to do. By talking to some people, I figured out that even they didn't care about all of that pro/contra Snap discussion.  Then again, that is my experience and somebody else has had a different one, I'm sure.

m

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I don't care about snaps. As long as Thunderbird and Firefox work okay, I'm happy ;)
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Understandable.   :)

I can almost understand the reason(s) for running containers on servers; but, Snap is one of the first things I purge on a desktop install.

Same here I get rid of Flatpak too. I just don't understand Snaps or Flatpaks, when Deb files are faster and more secure.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
Same here I get rid of Flatpak too. I just don't understand Snaps or Flatpaks, when Deb files are faster and more secure.  ;D

The problem I see is with deb files such as Skype that require special permissions to roam freely.   This is what causes me to use a Flatpak for Skype because it at least containerizes the program.  Ubuntu snaps doesn't protect us from a program such as Skype either.  With Ubuntu you have to agree to use Snap Classic permissions if you want to install Skype via  a snap in Ubuntu-based distributions. ::)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:23:34 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The problem I see is with deb files such as Skype that require special permissions to roam freely.   This is what causes me to use a Flatpak for Skype because it at least containerizes the program. 

IIMU: Firefox SSB instances of ICE containerize everything... or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:33:31 am by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit

The problem I see is with deb files such as Skype that require special permissions to roam freely.   This is what causes me to use a Flatpak for Skype because it at least containerizes the program.  Ubuntu snaps doesn't protect us from a program such as Skype either.  With Ubuntu you have to agree to use Snap Classic permissions if you want to install Skype via  a snap in Ubuntu-based distributions. ::)

Hi perknh,

Snaps are are PIA, Flapjax are something I have never tested. But AppImage is an alternative to try -- I use it for only several apps that I otherwise could not use and it works very well. Still  they are very large and startup is rather slow, but for the apps I use it for, the AppImage alternative works quite well.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
IIMU: Firefox SSB instances of ICE containerize everything... or am I missing something?

I don't know, spence.  :-\  I never considered ICE as a workaround for the roaming permissions forced upon a user of Skype.   I can see I need to learn more about ICE.  Thanks.

Snaps are are PIA, Flapjax are something I have never tested. But AppImage is an alternative to try -- I use it for only several apps that I otherwise could not use and it works very well. Still  they are very large and startup is rather slow, but for the apps I use it for, the AppImage alternative works quite well.  8)

And I've yet to try Applemage!  But it's now on my list of new things to try.  ;)  Thanks to you as well, Slim.

[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I don't know, spence.  :-\  I never considered ICE as a workaround for the roaming permissions forced upon a user of Skype. I can see I need to learn more about ICE.  Thanks.

I'm really quite addicted to ICE... I've got 15 loaded on my mini ASUS as I prepare to maintain pepOS access while we're on vacation in August. Why we call it vacation, now that we've been retired since 02 & 08 is beyond me, but I digress... ... ...

and nearly 40 on my desktop...

Each FX SSB is entirely Containerized...  Now I've never used SKYPE as it's Microsoft owned, and blacklisted in my mind, seeing as it's a never delete-able account.

Too many other options for face to face now-a-days

;)
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook