Choose style:

Author Topic: Special function keybinding issues  (Read 1484 times)

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Special function keybinding issues
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:46 am »
I had originally posted about how some of the special function keys on my keyboard were not working. I discovered the problem. If there are keybindings set in xbindkeys.conf that Peppermint doesn't like, other keybindings won't work. Perhaps whatever sets the keybindings returns at an error at that point and stops processing the conf file, I don't know how it all works. Anyway, it didn't like that I had the special function key XF86PowerOff set to execute peppermint-logout. I'm pretty sure that's the F12 key with the word PC and universal power off symbol in yellow on it. Do I have the symbol name of that key wrong, maybe? I used the list here to help me: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/XF86_keyboard_symbols

I've noticed I can't set bindings using the special function keys in the Peppermint Control Center, it doesn't detect them. I have to edit xbindkeys.conf and add bindings that way. XF86AudioMute mutes/unmutes pulseaudio, for instance. Maybe this is a known issue, I don't know.

This should probably be moved to another forum since it's not really a hardware issue.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:21:11 pm by xanadu »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Special function keybinding issues
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 01:01:16 pm »
Keybings for xbindkeys through Peppermint Control Center is still under development .. and will be slowly improved as time goes by.

Until then you'll need to do it manually I'm afraid.

I've never seen keyboard with a power off button sharing F12 .. I take it it requires a modifier key such as Fn ?

What's the make/model of PC ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Re: Special function keybinding issues
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:58:29 pm »
Yes, it's used with Fn. It's the Logitech K750 Solar keyboard, not the laptop's keyboard. The app solaar allows you to swap the Fn keys to access the special function keys without pressing function.

I manually edited xbindkeys.conf so XF86PowerOff would execute peppemint-logout, but that made other keybindings stop working.