Author Topic: Bootup issues (I think I deleted or downloaded something to mess it up)  (Read 202 times)

Offline YorkSmith

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
New linux user. Peppermint 10 is my only experience and I downloaded from USB to a windows HP Lenovo machine that windows had failed on and Peppermint worked like a charm. I am an options trader so I worked on getting my trading platforms onto my new OS and it took a little maneuvering with one of them (TDAmeritrade's Thinkorswim) but I got it on the machine today and it was working well.  I went into my downloads to "clean up" things because I'd downloaded several things (java type applications i think) trying to get thinkorswim to install. On a reboot this afternoon, Peppermint did not boot like it has since my initial install.

Instead of booting and taking me to my Peppermint desktop, it went to a GNU GRUB version 2.02 MENU with three options: Peppermint GNU/Linux; Advanced options for GNU/Linux; and System setup.

"system setup" takes me back to the SMART hard disk error on my HP machine that inspired my migration to LInux in the first place:

"Peppermint GNU/Linux"  will take me to the startup screen and take my admin pw to boot Peppermint but after keying in the pw, I'm taken to what looks like an old msDOS screen or a full screen terminal that has this:

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built_in commends.

(initramfs) _

I can enter 'reboot' here and it will but I'm going in circles...

The "Advanced options for Peppermint GNU/Linux"  takes me to another menu with four options:

Peppermint GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.3.0-53-generic
""""  (recovery mode)
Peppermint GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.0.0-37-generic
"""" (recovery mode)

Those options end up taking me to the same (initramfs) _ message as mentioned above...

I've hypothesized that I could just try to reinstall Peppermint or perhaps another distribution of Linux (Mint?) and wipe the slate clean that way but I've not been able to get the maching to boot from the USB even after changing the boot order to have USB CD-ROM drive first...

So Gents and Ladies... ANy and all help is greatly appreciated.  Will my clean slate theory work? and If yes, how do I get past the Grub menu to boot from USB?  Thanks!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi YorkSmith,

That is a new problem to me. It is especially troubling that you cannot even boot from an installation USB.  :-\ The fact that when you select the "system setup" option you are presented with the SMART hard disk error indicates to me that your hard disk is perhaps failing or has damaged sectors that prevent successful operation.  ;)

What is the output if, when you get to the point where you see this:

Code: [Select]
(initramfs) _if you then type this:

Code: [Select]
exit??

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline YorkSmith

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Thank you Slim,

Here is the  output for the exit command:

/dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; run fsck MANUALLY.
                  (i.e. without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root requires a manual fsck

(initramfs) _

For added context on the SMART Hard Disk Error,  That error screen is the first screen I when I power up the machine as well. There is an F2 System Diagnostics option and ENTER - Continue Startup Option:

before this problem surfaced and Peppermint was running like a scalded dog, this screen would come up first on powerup and I'd just strike the ENTER key and it would continue booting up Peppermint no problem. When I installed Peppermint, I did the full install that I understood would wipe the hard drive clean of windows. could it have been through windows that I was able to boot from USB before? Perhaps HP sosftware that allowed it and I inadvertently erased it with my Peppermint install?

I only know enough about all this to be dangerous so I'm thinking aloud (via the keyboard) here... Thank you for your help.

Offline YorkSmith

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
UPDATE:

I've created a bootable USB with DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to wipe the hard drive completely and begun that wiping process this morning... Looks like it will take all weekend to complete the wipe. Once the wipe is complete, I plan to either reinstall Peppermint or install Mint...

I understand this is a Peppermint forum but I trust Linux people to be honest and helpful with me as a noob to Linux OSs.  I need my OS to support highspeed web, email, Tastyworks and TDAmeritrade Thinkorswim desktop trading platforms as well as support some form of internet explorer addon or virtual machine for my dayjob as our virtual dashboard works exclusively in IE.

So with that knowledge, I ask you all which Linux OS would best suit my needs? I have the following two OSs already downloaded and ready to make a bootable USB with:

Peppermint-10-20191210-amd64
linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit

Thank you in advance!

-York

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Well, it's sort of surprising that TDAmeritrade and ThinkorSwim have linux compatible programs. They will work  on any ubuntu based distro.

I personally never use VM, so others among our Trusted Users who do will need to chime in.

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
I need my OS to support highspeed web, email, Tastyworks and TDAmeritrade Thinkorswim desktop trading platforms as well as support some form of internet explorer addon or virtual machine for my dayjob as our virtual dashboard works exclusively in IE.

Why not get a new SSD since your drive is probably failing? You might lose something critical.

Offline YorkSmith

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile

Why not get a new SSD since your drive is probably failing? You might lose something critical.

One explanation would be I don't know what an SSD is...  :-\  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I only know enough to be dangerous... perhaps I'll reap what I've sown here but for now I'm looking to completely wipe the drive and start fresh with Peppermint or Mint cinnamon. I don't know which is better for my needs.

Offline YorkSmith

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Well, it's sort of surprising that TDAmeritrade and ThinkorSwim have linux compatible programs. They will work  on any ubuntu based distro.

Tastyworks was a breeze to download... no problem at all.

Thinkorswim was indirectly the cause of my problems here... I had to download some linux form of Java before Thinkorswim would download and install. I installed more than one of those programs trying to find one that worked and once I did, instead of leaving well enough alone, I started deleting things I assumed I didn't need and then started my boot up issues.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Thank you Slim,

Here is the  output for the exit command:

/dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; run fsck MANUALLY.
                  (i.e. without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root requires a manual fsck

(initramfs) _

Hi YorkSmith, this error is a good indication that your harddrive is failing. You usually can fix the error by running the fsck and that will get you bye for a while but evertime I've gone that route, I've ended up replacing the harddrive. An SSD is a solid state disc and is the best thing you can get for a computer in most people's opinion. Good luck.
What was I thinking?