Choose style:

Author Topic: No Wifi Connection, Netbook Mini 10 [SOLVED]  (Read 5418 times)

Offline PPMOSdwatkins

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4 but not for long - 5 soonly!
No Wifi Connection, Netbook Mini 10 [SOLVED]
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:49:56 am »
To PCNetSpec - I was following the instructions that you had offered up on this topic previously and they I still have nothing I realize that those instructions might change based on the results from the lshw.  I'm setting up the PeppermintOS on a Dell Netbook Mini 10 - great little system and I think this flavor of Linux is going to be awesome once I have all of these tweaks cleaned up.  I ran an lshw (below) and do NOT have any wireless signal in the tray.  I tried going into to manually setup the Wifi connection but to no avail.  Can you offer any insights?  Thanks in advance.

*-network               
       description: Network controller
       product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       version: 01
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0
       resources: irq:17 memory:f0100000-f0103fff
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 02
       serial: 00:26:b9:b0:76:4d
       size: 100Mbit/s
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.1.21 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
       resources: irq:43 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0510000-f0510fff memory:f0500000-f050ffff memory:f0520000-f053ffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
-------
uname -a ->  Linux david-netbook 3.8.0-35-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 3 01:25:33 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:28:48 pm by PPMOSdwatkins »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: No Wifi Connection
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:09:55 am »
Can you please post the output from:
Code: [Select]
rfkill list
and
sudo iwlist scanning
and
lsusb
and
lspci -vnn | grep -i net
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:16:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PPMOSdwatkins

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:48 am »
rfkill -
  0: hci0: Bluetooth
   Soft blocked: no
   Hard blocked: no
1: compal-wifi: Wireless LAN
2: compal-bluetooth: Bluetooth

iwlist -
  lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

lsusb -
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 174f:1403 Syntek Integrated Webcam
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 413c:02b0 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

lspci -
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:50:03 am »
Have you got the linux-firmware-nonfree package installed ?
sudo apt install linux-firmware-nonfree
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PPMOSdwatkins

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:25:53 am »
I do now.  What next Obiwan?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-image-3.8.0-23-generic linux-image-extra-3.8.0-23-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-firmware-nonfree
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,943 kB of archives.
After this operation, 8,982 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  linux-firmware-nonfree
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/multiverse linux-firmware-nonfree all 1.14ubuntu1 [3,943 kB]
Fetched 3,943 kB in 1s (3,665 kB/s)                 
Selecting previously unselected package linux-firmware-nonfree.
(Reading database ... 149851 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-firmware-nonfree (from .../linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Setting up linux-firmware-nonfree (1.14ubuntu1) ...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:11 am »
That output mentioned kernel 3.8 and "raring".. is this Peppermint 4 (as opposed to Peppermint 5) ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:40:30 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PPMOSdwatkins

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:44 am »
Truthfully, its been a while since I did the initial load on this but I think that is correct.  When it goes to the login screen, I've got that wood-looking background with the peppermint logo - isn't that 4?

***Just saw this on my Chromium browser:  running on Peppermint 4 (31.0.1650.63-0ubuntu0.13.04.1~20131204.1)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:52:52 am by PPMOSdwatkins »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:56:30 am »
Yeah, that's Peppermint 4

Problem is the drivers for the broadccom low power cards (lpphy) was installed differently in Ubuntu 13.04 (so therefore Peppermint 4), and Ubuntu have now removed the package repositories for 13.04 as it's no longer supported.

Peppermint 4 should be considered "end of life" and you should *really* consider installing Peppermint 5 in its place .. you will receive NO more updates (including security updates) as long as you stick with Peppermint 4 (and Peppermint 4 still has the ssh vulnerability).

That said, if you want to continue in Peppermint 4 we'll first need to get you hooked up with the "old-release" repositories so we can install the firmware-b43-lpphy-installer package  .. can you post the contents of the file that opens when you run this command:
gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:58:02 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PPMOSdwatkins

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 11:34:50 am »
There's nothing really compelling that is causing me to stick with P4.  If I would be better served with P5, then, I'm in.  Is there any preference to doing a fully new install versus an upgrade.  I don't have anything on this box that can't be wiped.

And by the way, many, many thanks for the assistance with this and on behalf of all of the other Noobs that you help out there.  Your advice and the response time amaze me.  If there is a donations page that I should be aware of, please don't hesitate to point it out.  If it helps, I was just looking at the PeppermintOS Sticks for sale out there and was thinking of buying one for the upgrade (as well as a couple of stickers.)  Again, thanks.  DW

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:23:12 pm »
There is NO safe way to "upgrade" Peppermint 4 to Peppermint 5 .. it requires a fresh install.
(obviously that doesn't mean you can't copy off your user files and say web browser config directory before doing the fresh install)

The good news is that Peppermint 5 is based on an LTS release, so if you choose to stick with it, it should be "good to go" until 2019

Give me a shout if wireless still doesn't work in Peppermint 5 .. but connecting to your router with an ethernet cable and running:
sudo apt install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer linux-firmware-nonfree
should fix it right up :)

Oh, and thanks for the kind words .. you're most welcome :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:15:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PPMOSdwatkins

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: No Wifi Connection [SOLVED]
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 01:27:16 pm »
Again, many thanks.  I'll get busy right away on the new load.  Best regards - DW

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »
sudo apt install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer linux-firmware-nonfree

Nice one!

I just corrupted the WiFi firmware in my Dell ATG D630 'road warrior' while installing the 'intel-microcode' & 'iucode-tool' packages. 

Never had a problem with that Intel microcode/tool before, but when I rebooted, my WiFi has missing -- no LED indicator -- nothing. 

Everything pointed to a firmware problem, so I used the command line (above) and the WiFi magically reappeared.  Not only that, but I would swear the connection is better now -- more solid -- judging by the signal strength indicator.

Thx

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: No Wifi Connection, Netbook Mini 10 [SOLVED]
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:33:29 pm »
I've never heard of the 'intel-microcode' & 'iucode-tool'  packages .. gonna need to check what they are  :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:07 am »
Here's a pretty good description of 'intel-microcode' :

SOURCE:  http://dereenigne.org/debian/update-intel-cpu-microcode

You are probably familiar with the terms firmware and drivers in the context of computer hardware, and the endless updating that they require. Most people associate these drivers and firmware updates with peripheral equipment such as graphic cards and DVD drives. You might not however be aware that you can also update the firmware on your CPU (firmware is called microcode in CPU speak).

These microcode updates are normally bundled in with BIOS updates. Given the fact that BIOS updates are inherently risky, motherboard manufacturers are reluctant to issue BIOS updates for anything other than major bugs. This means your microcode can become quite dated. Both Intel and AMD realise this and release standalone microcode updates.

If you are running Debian or Ubuntu and Intel CPU (there is a pretty good chance you are), you can use the intel-microcode and microcode.ctl packages to update your microcode. This will download the latest microcode for your CPU and apply the update automatically on each boot. This process does not apply the update permanently, and is completely reversible.

And, 'iucode-tool' :

SOURCE:  https://gitorious.org/iucode-tool/pages/Home

iucode-tool is a system administration tool to manipulate Intel® X86 and X86-64 processor microcode update collections. It is tailored to help Linux distros do Intel microcode update release management.

iucode-tool cannot change either the microcode itself (the opaque data that is sent unmodified to the system processor to perform the microcode update) or the microcode update container (a documented wrapper with metadata about the microcode update). It lets one create new collections of microcode update containers, by selecting which microcode update containers should be copied unmodified from the microcode data files published by Intel.

It can also display the contents of microcode update collections, in order to help the Linux distro maintainer keep track of the microcode updates available for each Intel processor, for release management purposes.

This release management is necessary to avoid microcode patch level regressions when updating the stable or long-term-service releases of a Linux distro. Intel removes microcode updates for very old end-of-line processors from the public distribution. When a Linux distro blindly propagates such updates to their stable branches, they potentially regress the microcode for some of their users.

iucode-tool was initially written for internal use by the Debian GNU/Linux distro, however, it is maintained with clear separation between upstream code and Debian-specific details and packaging, so it is appropriate for use by any Linux distro.

I usually install these packages when I do a fresh install. It's one of the first things I do.

In my defense, I never planned to run the P5 Beta this long.  LoL.  I was going to haxor it, then do a fresh install of the final.  But, it's been running so good, I decided to let it be.

I decided to optimize my SSD today, and install 'intel-microcode',  'iucode-tool', and so forth, and so on.

I've never installed 'intel-microcode' this late in the process.  Plus, my Internet connection has been motorboating up n' down all day.  One, or the other, ate my WiFi firmware.

No big deal.  It just caused a little head scratching...   8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:41:47 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:43 am »
Ahh .. you learn something every day eh ? .. I did not know that :)

On the whole I've never been a fan of firmware updates (or even BIOS updtaes) unless they address a specific problem I'm suffering.

They say it's code loaded at each boot, which although probably a safer option and would allay most of the reasons I normally steer clear, I'm going to *guess* that to work quickly enough the code must be loaded and stay resident in the CPU somewhere and that's likely to be where? .. Primary cache? .. wouldn't that slow down the CPU ?
(or maybe they have a special area of cache that's set aside for just this purpose)

As I said, if it addresses a particular problem I have I'd probably try it .. but I'm not one of those that updates their DVD drive firmware or BIOS just to have the latest version.

That said, it's nice to know it exists .. so cheers for that :) .. do they publicise what issues the latest microcode addresses anywhere ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:10:51 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec