Choose style:

Author Topic: No Wifi Connection, Netbook Mini 10 [SOLVED]  (Read 5355 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: No Wifi Connection, Netbook Mini 10 [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 08:34:35 am »
Same here that is one of the things I Install on every machine, it is on my list of things to do when tweaking out a machine...  I thought everyone knew this and it was a must? I think I saw it on a linux mint tweak page somewhere of things you must do when installing linux to tweak them out ...   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:01 am »
I thought everyone knew this and it was a must?

Obviously wrong on both counts  :o

I'm still not one for firmware updates unless they're to solve an issue I'm suffering .. even if they're 100% safe.
(why mess if you don't have a problem ? .. you could just as easily introduce a problem where there was non, as has just been shown .. tracking a new issue to a microcode update might also prove problematic)

I think it's safe to assume if I didn't know about them, then not "everyone" does.....

I'm not saying "don't" install them, that's your call .. but as my (and most peoples) sytems seem to run perfectly well without them, they're obviously not a "must" in most circumstances ;)

I can (so far) find no changelog type info on exactly what issues the microcode updates actually are supposed to fix ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:39:42 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »
On the whole I've never been a fan of firmware updates (or even BIOS updates) unless they address a specific problem I'm suffering.

[D]o they publicise what issues the latest microcode addresses anywhere ?

AFAIK 'they' don't publish anything about Intel microcode code itself.  It's a highly guarded secret.  If you try to backward engineer it (e.g. haxor it - nudge, nudge, wink, wink) you'll discover the code is loaded with checksums.

Occasionally you will see the benefits and effects published.  Example (picked at random):

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/07/25/intel-overclocking-block/1

I install these packages on all of my Intel machines, regardless of age.  It allows them to run the latest kernels, if nothing else.  For instance, I'm running Linux 3.17-rc4 on this machine (Intel P4 Extreme Edition, circa 2003) without issues.

As far as hard-coded firmware updates go, I'm_with_you on that.  Sometimes the updates will create as many new issues as it solves.  And, it certainly shouldn't be attempted unless you KNOW what you're doing.

Funny story:  As a hobby, I used to refurbish Cisco DSL routers and sell them on Fleabay.  How did I "refurbish" them?

I would buy "dead" routers for pennies on the wholesale dollars.  100% of the time, they were "bricked" as the result of a flash update gone bad.  I knew a special procedure where I could flash them manually, via command lines through a backdoor.  I'd test them for a month or so, on my LAN, then resell them on Fleabay for a hefty profit.  Only reason I quit is because shipping was too much of a hassle (for a working man).

Anyway, the larger point is, unless you know EXACTLY what to do, and in which order, it's very easy to "brick" your hardware doing flash updates.  Moreover, the update is as likely to cause new problems as cure the old ones.

That said, do I flash my hardware?  Yes.  I've probably flashed my NetGear print server 10x before a found a suitable update -- they all have problems -- you just need to find one that works for you.  And, I flashed my Dell laptops, to get rid of some RAM issues.  And, my routers, blah, blah, blah.

Be careful out there...   ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »
I'm surprised by your "allows me to run the latest kernel" example .. I would have thought the kernel must be working with the CPU or it wouldn't be able to inject the microcode each boot  :-\

But then never having had a need to try it (or even knowing about it), what would I know ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:17:00 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 04:14:35 pm »
I'm surprised by your "allows me to run the latest kernel" example .. I would have thought the kernel must be working with the CPU or it wouldn't be able to inject the microcode each boot  :-\

All complex microprocessors contain bugs when they ship.  That's why Intel processors include instruction sets that are re-programmable via microcode.  On face value, that's the whole reason for the microcode.

Before I discovered microcode, I would experience strange behaviour when testing Linux rcs -- lockups for no apparent reason, in the middle of a session,  and so forth.

It *seems* like everything runs smoother when I inject the microcode -- that's all.

Maybe it's a placebo effect.  I dunno.  NSA backdoors aside, it doesn't appear to harm anything...  ;)