Author Topic: Linux kernel support  (Read 272 times)

Offline trentfox

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Linux kernel support
« on: May 31, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »
For how long is the Linux kernel (5.0) going to be supported on Peppermint 10? I'm asking because it is not an LTS kernel in Ubuntu.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Linux kernel support
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:11:29 pm »
Hi trentfox, Peppermint is basically Ubuntu with some customizations so what applies to Ubuntu kernels will apply to Peppermint.
What was I thinking?

Offline trentfox

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »
This is why I'm asking the question. Kernel 5.0 comes with Peppermint 10, but is no longer supported by Ubuntu. I think it was the original kernel of Ubuntu 19.04, which is no longer supported. If I am correct, either Peppermint would have to generate the security updates, or they would have to require users to update the kernel to the next LTS (5.4). This matters to me because kernels above 5.2 are big problems on my 2015 iMac. They take about 3 minutes to boot, about 2 minutes to shut down, and about 2 minutes to start up once the video sleeps.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:03:13 pm »
For how long is the Linux kernel (5.0) going to be supported on Peppermint 10? I'm asking because it is not an LTS kernel in Ubuntu.

Are you perhaps electing not to allow kernel updates for some reason? Elsewise:

While PeppermintOne thru Peppermint 6 are all EOL,

Peppermint 7 & 8 have LTS support until 2021.

Peppermint 9 & 10 have LTS support until 2023.

;)

spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline trentfox

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 06:15:34 pm »
I see now that Peppermint 10 would update the 5.0.0 kernel to 5.3.0 if I let it. But 5.3.0 isn't a Ubuntu LTS kernel either, so I assume that it isn't getting updates once Ubuntu 19.10 is no longer supported. So how does it work? Will Peppermint eventually get the 5.4 LTS kernel and just keep that updated? Unfortunately that doesn't help me, but I did notice that the  repos in Peppermint are carrying the 4.15 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS kernel.  That one works on my iMac.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 12:03:06 am »
Hi trentfox,

The PeppermintOS team does not do anything regarding the kernels. Ubuntu does that and makes them available in the default software repositories for the updating progams to pick up and install.  ;)

However, you can remain with an older kernel as long as you wish. You can also "jump ahead" and install newer "ubuntu" kernels that are not available in the default repositories. For example, I am running kernel 5.6.15 ATM. There are instructions telling where to find these newer kernels and how to install them here in the forum. Use the forum Search function to find them. If you go that route, the updating programs will not update any of those kernels to newer versions as they become available -- you will have to regularly check to see if newer ones are available yourself:)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline trentfox

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 06:58:12 am »
OK, thanks to all three of you for your answers. I get it now. This kernel issue has really been bothering me, and it seems that, no matter what distro I use, I'm going to end up losing support on this iMac after April 2023. Hopefully by then, a new kernel will be available that will work on this otherwise excellent computer. Just by way of background, my usual distros are Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but a member of my Linux Club (Peterborough Linux User Group) did a very favourable review of Peppermint that got me thinking about it again. I used it back in the Kendall Weaver days on a netbook, and always liked it. Its support for SSB's is very useful, as I need to use Microsoft Office for work and nothing beyond the 2010 version seems to work very well on Wine/Crossover.

This kernel situation is strange. Kernels before 4.14 were problematic on this iMac, but kernels from 4.15 to 5.2 are fine. I don't know what they did to 5.3, but nothing since has worked properly, and I have tested up to 5.7. I have also filed kernel bug reports, but so far there hasn't been a fix. I really don't want to go back to the Mac OS after 2023, but I think that having a secure computer is important. I hope a kernel yet to be released will solve the problem.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 09:12:44 am »
Hi trentfox,

2023 is still quite a ways in the future as far as linux kernel development goes. There will be numerous new releases by then. Over the last years there have been minor point releases (e.g. from kernel 5.5.11 to kernel 5.5.12) approximately every 5-10 days, and intermediate level releases (e.g. kernel 5.5.x to kernel 5.6.x) about every two months.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that your iMac will soon be able to use one of the newer ones.  ;)

Since you are interested in LTS kernels, have you tried the latest in the kernel 5.4.x LTS series (which, as of today, stands at 5.4.43)?

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline trentfox

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:22:11 am »
Yes, I have tried 5.4 LTS (in Ubuntu), and every update for it. Same result: 3+ minute boot time, 1-2 minutes to wake after display sleep, 1-2 minutes to shut down. I keep trying it every time there is a 5.4 update, but no dice.

I know that there will be numerous kernel releases before the 4.15 kernel is no longer supported, and I have been keeping track of them where Ubuntu stores their kernels and trying the new ones as they arrive. I'm sure that the problem relates directly or indirectly to the video card in this iMac (AMD Radeon r9 m390x). I also wonder if it's a coincidence that I have the problem only on this 2015 iMac, and not on my older 2011 iMac, given that the resolution of the former is 5K, but only 4K (3840x2160) is recognized outside of the MacOS (Windows or Linux). The resolution of older iMacs like mine is 2560x1440. What concerns me is that this isn't a new video card, and that the kernel worked with it in the past. This suggests that a kernel modification made right at the beginning of the 5.3 series is causing the problem. The change must have been made to fix something - why would they unfix that? (Pardon my rant.)  :'(

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 08:40:34 am »
Which graphics driver are you using? Have you tried this one?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-30

Offline trentfox

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 06:28:09 pm »
I'm using the open source amdgpu, which is the default. However, you may have a workable suggestion, murraymint. The current version of amdgpu-pro is 19.30, and it won't install on Ubuntu 20.04 until it is updated, but it will install on Ubuntu 18.04, and maybe, therefore, on Peppermint 10. I'm going to try it in a virtual machine. I think that the proprietary version might work because it did work in Ubuntu on an older kernel than 4.15 that was problematic on the open source version.