Author Topic: Libre Office for converting .wps files(SOLVED)  (Read 127 times)

Offline kalorenz03

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Libre Office for converting .wps files(SOLVED)
« on: May 28, 2020, 08:02:50 am »
Hello all,

I'm trying to help my parents convert some old Microsoft Works files (.wps extension) into something they can use again.  I tried the official MS .wps converter and it looks like it doesn't work on Windows 10.  Does anybody know if Libre Office is able to convert these types of files? How does Libre Office stack up as an alternative to MS Office 365? 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:35:42 pm by kalorenz03 »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: Libre Office for converting .wps files
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:20:16 am »
Hi there, that's an interesting question. Works is a VERY VERY old program. Forgive me for asking this, but is it Works for DOS or Windows? If you know the version number that will help.

Send me a PM, then I will give you my email address. If you email me a file I am willing to try to see what can be done.

LibreOffice is completely different to Office 365, it looks more like Office did before the ribbon menu. If you can stand the dated look it should be OK for most people.

If Microsoft is a must, you can use a web based version of Word, Excel or PowerPoint. That will look and feel more like Office 365, although it is very limited.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:25:23 am by 10i »
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline kalorenz03

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:14 pm »
They were running it on their old machine using Windows 7.  Its ok, since my original post, I found a comment from the Libre Office website that seems to indicate that Libre Office can open .wps files.  I might install it and test it out but I was wondering if anyone that has Libre Office already has done this before. 

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:44:32 pm »
I found a comment from the Libre Office website that seems to indicate that Libre Office can open .wps files.  I might install it and test it out but I was wondering if anyone that has Libre Office already has done this before.

I found an online sample of a .WPS file and DL'ed it. Works well enough on this box...   ;)

Offline kalorenz03

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:07 pm »
Thanks VinDSL
I just tried it out too.  In my case it was important to DL the same version of Libre Office as you did.  It opens the WPS files and XLR files I have saved on this flash drive.  I appreciate the help.