Author Topic: Greetings from a new user  (Read 639 times)

Offline sotnas78

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
Greetings from a new user
« on: May 27, 2020, 04:40:35 pm »
Hi guys, I'm new to Peppermint and, like most of you, I'm enjoying it.

How did I come across to Peppermint OS? Well I started to use linux in 2011, with Ubuntu 11.10. Since then I went hopping from distro to distro. I did experiment Peppermint not long after Ubuntu but I didn't stick with it.

Actually, as a good distro hopper, I had a number of distros in my 14 year old Lenovo laptop. I had Mint (both based in Ubuntu and LMDE) and I liked "regular" Mint. LMDE broke somehow.

I had Debian and I loved it but it broke and then it came back to life without me knowing what happened. I had Crunchbang, Q4OS, bla, bla, bla...and so on.

In 2018 I tried Chakra OS more seriously. And I have been enjoying it for the last 2 years. After Plasma went beyond 5.12 I started having problems with some niggling details. They don't prevent me from working. Actually I used it, for a considerable period of time, as my workhorse. But I think that Plasma versions beyond 5.12 are exposing my hardware limitations (Core 2 Duo T5500 1.6 Ghz) because I switched ssd between my old laptop and my wife's laptop (core i5 480m) and I didn't experience the same little troubles.

Now, my wife has an old Pentium Dual Core E5300 with Windows XP. So I slotted in a SSD and installed 4 ou 5 distros so she could chose which one she liked the most. However, I was influencing her to chose between Kubuntu 18.04 (which has Plasma 5.12) and Peppermint.

About the next generation for Peppermint and on what will it be based on, let me give you my 2 cents.

Like I said, I've been working with Chakra which is semi-rolling. I find the concept interesting. I would find it even more interesting if it was semi-rolling towards a more stable concept (mainly that wouldn't update Plasma beyond 5.12).

When I had to choose a distro for my wife I thought of something simple and that wouldn't give me too much work, especially with the upgrades.

A friend of mine, who uses Ubuntu in his corporation, told me one thing that made rethink my concept of searching a distro. He just told me "i don't know if Ubuntu is the best or the better suited to me. But it works and I'm not going to lose time searching for other distros". He's still using Ubuntu 16.04.

So I was searching for the most user friendly distro which has the longest period before an upgrade that implies a fresh install. So life cycle started to be important to me and that's why I've put aside MX Linux.

CentOS could be a suitable base for Peppermint?

Or even Chakra with their semi-rolling concept? They have a very small team but they're commited and their distro is really a good surprise. They could use the help.

One last question. I've noticed that Peppermint, like many other distros based on Ubuntu, has a starting point with every LTS version. Since they have launched every 2 years and have 5 years of support, why not concentrate, for example, on 16.04 and 20.04. Wouldn't this approach bring a lot more time for the team to work on the project and prepare new ideas for the next LTS launch?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:43:57 pm by sotnas78 »

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
Re: Greetings from a new user
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:06:39 am »
Nice to meet you, sotnas78!

There are good reasons, why Peppermint is based on Ubuntu. See this comment by the late and great PCNetSpec:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8793.msg89738.html#msg89738

I have done a fair share of distro hopping myself. Peppermint is probably as good as it gets in the Linux world. ;)

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 05:40:26 am »
Wellcome @sotnas78 8)
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:34:02 am »
Welcome to the forum  :D

There really is something special about the care that is taken when building each version of Peppermint.

You've got some interesting questions there, wish I could answer them. I personally hate having to format and re-install.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:56:13 am »
Welcome to Peppermint.

our late leader was fairly clear that PeppermintOS would never become a rolling release. For rolling releases, by their very nature, require diving into the home drives and data partitions of the device owner. Something he said he was unwilling to do for stability, security and liability reasons.

#teampeppermintOS will adhere to his reasons and warnings for the time being as we're working with an ubuntu base of code he was already developing when he passed away.

Happy Pepperminting!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:21:56 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline sotnas78

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 01:19:05 pm »
Hi there, thank you for your welcoming me.

Welcome to Peppermint.

our late leader was fairly clear that PeppermintOS would never become a rolling release. For rolling releases, by their very nature, require diving into the home drives and data partitions of the device owner. Something he said he was unwilling to do for stability, security and liability reasons.

#teampeppermintOS will adhere to his reasons and warnings for the time being as we're working with an ubuntu base of code he was already developing when he passed away.

Happy Pepperminting!

Hi Spence, yes I do understand the reasons. I only mentioned the idea of a rolling release and those 2 distros because I think I read something about changing the base of Peppermint for future releases. Still I wonder if it's worth to launch a Peppermint generation on every LTS release, since the life cycle of the LTS Ubuntu 16.04 will be supported until next year, 18.04 until 2023 and 20.04 until 2025. Wouldn't be better to have some free hands if 18.04 didn't happen in Peppermint OS. Or, let me rephrase, since Peppermint 9/10 is based on LTS Ubuntu 18.04 (supported until 2023) is it logical to have next Peppermint on Ubuntu 20.04 when it is expected that the next LTS will be probably 22.04 (just one year before the end of support for Peppermint 10 Respin)? Skipping one LTS version wouldn't benefit all the developers by allowing more free time while they run a supported distro for time between versions?

One note, all these years after I tried Peppermint for the first time, I find it more robust and polished. I'm pretty impressed and for the time being my wife will have Peppermint on her desktop. The main reason for not wanting to fresh install a version too often is that my wife is a pain in the neck and she always finds a way to give me more work than I really need.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:14 pm »
I'm pretty impressed and for the time being my wife will have Peppermint on her desktop. The main reason for not wanting to fresh install a version too often is that my wife is a pain in the neck and she always finds a way to give me more work than I really need.

:-X
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:43:26 pm »
The main reason for not wanting to fresh install a version too often is that my wife is a pain in the neck and she always finds a way to give me more work than I really need.

Say whaaat ?!?  :D Are we sharing wives ??? :P

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 01:50:19 pm »
Maybe we'll just hold off on a new version of Peppermint until Mrs Santos gives the go-ahead for a fresh install  ;D

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:49 pm »
Hi there, thank you for your welcoming me.

Hi Spence, yes I do understand the reasons. I only mentioned the idea of a rolling release and those 2 distros because I think I read something about changing the base of Peppermint for future releases.

While we are moving on to ubuntu base 20.04, there are no current plans for rolling release. 

Quote from: sotnas
Still I wonder if it's worth to launch a Peppermint generation on every LTS release, since the life cycle of the LTS Ubuntu 16.04 will be supported until next year, 18.04 until 2023 and 20.04 until 2025. Wouldn't be better to have some free hands if 18.04 didn't happen in Peppermint OS. Or, let me rephrase, since Peppermint 9/10 is based on LTS Ubuntu 18.04 (supported until 2023) is it logical to have next Peppermint on Ubuntu 20.04 when it is expected that the next LTS will be probably 22.04 (just one year before the end of support for Peppermint 10 Respin)? Skipping one LTS version wouldn't benefit all the developers by allowing more free time while they run a supported distro for time between versions?

It has never appeared to have really been a problem previously.

Quote from: sotnas
One note, all these years after I tried Peppermint for the first time, I find it more robust and polished.

#teampeppermintOS appreciates your praise. However, all acclimations, kudos, praise & thanks for the robustness & polish of prior PeppermintOS releases lay firmly at the feet of our beloved lead dev, guru & best friend PCNetSpec..

As for more work for you, unless an installed version of PeppermintOS is broken, there's never any need to update or upgrade: until LTS support ends.

;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:06:11 am by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:20:08 am »
Just a reminder, Peppermint 9 & 10 Respins are fully LTS supported until 2023

;)
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline sotnas78

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 09:42:08 am »
The main reason for not wanting to fresh install a version too often is that my wife is a pain in the neck and she always finds a way to give me more work than I really need.

Say whaaat ?!?  :D Are we sharing wives ??? :P

Regards,

-- Slim

I guess no pun intended, right?  :D

@spence

I am aware of that.

A couple of days ago I installed Linux Lite, based on Ubuntu 20.04, on one of the partitions.

Right now I have Kubuntu 18.04, Peppermnit 10 Respin, Linux Lite 5.0, Q4OS TDE 3.11, MX Linux 19 and Opensuse Leap 15.1.

The choices are narrowing.

Kubuntu will be erased, because it's supported only until next year, I believe.

Opensuse is there for exeperimental means, also because I think 15 will reach it's end of life next year.

Q4OS seems a decent distro but I don't like TDE and the Plasma version is troublesome for my hardware.

So it's all down to MX Linux and Peppermint but the former needs a bit more RAM than the latter.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 11:01:02 am »

A couple of days ago I installed Linux Lite, based on Ubuntu 20.04, on one of the partitions.

Right now I have Kubuntu 18.04, Peppermnit 10 Respin, Linux Lite 5.0, Q4OS TDE 3.11, MX Linux 19 and Opensuse Leap 15.1.

I am probably an unusual outlier use case loner on this forum. I have zero interest in distro hopping.

:o

PeppermintOS has always handled everything I have ever needed it to since PeppermintOne arrived in April 2010. I did have a brief foray into a few other distros in '18. But after never really opening them for more than a few unproductive hours, I replaced them all with the four Peppermint 7, 8, 9 & 10 Respin versions which are still supported by our Trusted User team.

8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:26:21 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild