Choose style:

Author Topic: P5 on Dell Vostro 5470 - doesn't recognize usb modem  (Read 1754 times)

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
P5 on Dell Vostro 5470 - doesn't recognize usb modem
« on: September 10, 2014, 02:40:58 am »
Isn't it ironic that after all the great use value and rich experience of Peppermint, the first one writes in a forum for ages is a technical problem? First, therefore, thanks to developers and maintainers.

I have a new Dell Vostro 5470 and considering what distro to put on it. I know P5 from my old notebook, a choice influenced by that one's weak performance and thus need for lightweight. P5 has worked reasonably well on the Vostro too, considering all the issues being reported by users of this notebook (notably wifi problems, which I might bring up later).

My question now is the curious thing that my USB modem (ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM) is not recognized, although it was recognized when I inserted it on my old notebook, also running P5, and was able to connect it to a prepaid mobile broadband service by simply using network manager to add a new connection.

I'd like to use the same mobile broadband service on my new notebook. The OS is the same on both notebooks. How can I proceed?

Generally, I'm considering what the best distro is for the Dell Vostro 5470, and think of trying Lubuntu.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: P5 on Dell Vostro 5470 - doesn't recognize usb modem
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:00:58 am »
Can you unplug the USB modem .. wait a few seconds .. replug the USB modem .. then send the output from:
Code: [Select]
dmesg | tail -n 40
and
Code: [Select]
lsusb
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:03:14 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:21:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply, but I'm in a quite different level of trouble now. I installed Lubuntu on the Vostro, and during the installation it asked me whether I wanted to replace Peppermint with Lubuntu. I answered 'yes', assuming that the installer had recognized that there also was a Windows 7 installed, dual boot. But it overwrote the hard drive. After that, I formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows 7, and tried one more time to install Lubuntu in dual boot (which worked fine with P5). But the Lubuntu installer does not recognize the Windows partition. I have spent about five hours now on "studying" the possible cause, which seems to be different partition table styles (MBR vs GPT) and also BIOS vs UEFI. I am not interested in this and expect an operating system to be able to install and sort out these things on its own without any "studies".

P5 couldn't find the USB unit, Lubuntu destroyed my dual boot. Better look for other distros then.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »
Okey dokey .. good luck.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec