Author Topic: first try at peppermint-10  (Read 683 times)

Offline davekimble

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
first try at peppermint-10
« on: May 25, 2020, 01:16:05 am »
I only tried Peppermint-10 because Ubuntu is so bloated and you said it was fast.

The live CD worked, but the install to hard drive (M2 SSD) failed on installing grub, on ALL drives, 3 times.  In the end I had to reboot into my other OS and update-grub there. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have another OS.

Peppermint seems to have all the same bloat as Ubuntu - many languages, many locales, many themes, many icon-themes, many wallpapers, many screensavers, many compilers, many software-updating systems, loads of stuff installed that people could easily download if they needed it.  On clean install 484 MB of RAM is used, I forgot to see how many processes were running, but now there are 430 !!!

And I hate the anti-spam checker.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: first try at peppermint-10
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 02:29:01 am »
Hi davekimble,

Sorry to hear about your problems, trials and tribulations. It is also too bad that you did not ask for assistance here on the forum.  ;)

However, that is still possible, if you are interested.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:54:12 am »
Hello,

as regards the problem with installing Grub: There is a graphical program for customizing and updating Grub: It is called Grub Customizer and can be installed with:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install grub-customizer
It gives you feedback, if it was able to save your changes to Grub to the MBR.

P. S.: It requires a ppa. See two postings below.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:17:33 am by Fritz74 »

Offline straybit

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:24 am »
Where might one find this package?
bruce@Acer-Aspire ~ $ sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package grub-customizer
Bruce

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:10:50 am »
Ah, sorry, it was not in the Ubuntu repositories in 18.04 yet.

You have to add a ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
Then you can refresh the package cache and install it:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install grub-customizer

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 01:46:55 am »
Thought I would chime in here: The number of times I too get just that result, so one is advised to install a package/application and get just that same result:
$ sudo apt-get install [whatever package]
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package [whatever package]
And ther I am thinking it was me....
Perhaps someone can point us newbies to the official tutorial which deals with the apparent 'distribution-location' of packages and installation variables?

lliam
hopefull

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 02:59:06 am »

Perhaps someone can point us newbies to the official tutorial which deals with the apparent 'distribution-location' of packages and installation variables?

lliam

Hi lliam53,

There is no such tutorial because there are a huge number of package locations. What you should do is first check in the synaptic package manager to see if the package/application is already in the official repositories (the safest to use) and use the one found there. If it is not listed there then it is required that you do a DuckDuck Go (or whatever search engine you prefer) search using the name of the package/application and look for the download page.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:23:45 am »

There are perhaps by now billions of linux packages residing on the www... there's no tutorial which leads you to them all. SlimFatz correctly advises that checking Synaptic Package Manager from the System Menu is the first place to verify what's on your system, as well as letting you know what's available  for your system. Since linux began, it has been where linux users go to search for available packages.

Software & Software Manager...

...are more recent innovations. They are included as package installation options in PeppermintOS because they provide access to packages which are only available as flat paks or snaps. Both of which our late leader advised against installing.  Yet, he didn't think it was his duty to block access to them. It's your computer after all, install whatever you like or need.

In his & #teampeppermintOS' minds, the beauty of Linux is Freedom Of Choice!

PeppermintOS comes loaded with a User Guide in our menu... let me link back to Chapter 4 here:

https://peppermintos.com/guide/software/

;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:03:14 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:49:24 am »
OK, so to try this out I went to the synaptic package manager and 'searched' for 'grub customizer' [as example], neither here nor in the software manager did it turn up anything I could recognise as the packages I might need to install [certainly nothing called grub customizer] . This is what I mean, where do we newbies find out how the package manager works? There are various criteria fields or buttons, for instance  'look in' in the search box, none of these variables are covered in the help.
It would appear the best advice to newbies with respect to insalling new software is: if it's not in the software manager then one should leave it at that and look for an alternative which is.
A web search for installing grub customizer led me to any number of different ways [depending on what one is running, from ubunto to LMint but no Peppermint] all different and many so complicated that I for sure would not begin down that road having ruined a good P10 installation that way before. If there was a TAR it might be worth giving that a go but I could not find one.
A tutorial for coping with software installation might be worthwhile. If there is one out there we newbies would appreciate being let in on it...    lliam
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:55:36 am by lliam53 »
hopefull

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 09:02:22 am »

A web search for installing grub customizer led me to any number of different ways [depending on what one is running, from ubunto to LMint but no Peppermint] all different and many so complicated that I for sure would not begin down that road having ruined a good P10 installation that way before. If there was a TAR it might be worth giving that a go but I could not find one.

A member has already given you perfectly good instructions in a post above to install the software. Are you just looking for ways to complicate things?

Edit: ah, I see you weren't the OP but just chimed in to prove a point. Still, I think you're needlessly overcomplicating things. Nine times out of ten a package from a PPA is easier to install than something in a tarball archive.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:04:17 am by murraymint »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 09:05:42 am »
Hi murraymint,

I guess he didn't understand  or perhaps did not really read carefully my last post. I give up.  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:59 am »
@lliam53: Google (or another search engine) is always a good starting point. Enter the following phrase, and the first four or five results will tell you how to install grub customizer:

how to install grub customizer ubuntu
You will also find a lot of reviews and tips for alternatives for a certain task, if you use a search engine. The results (mostly posts from forums, the Ubuntu Wiki etc.) will tell you, if a program can be installed with apt (in most cases) or you need to install a ppa or download a .deb package.

If I want to install a new program for a certain task, I always search Google, not the Software Boutique or Synaptic.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:32:38 am by Fritz74 »

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 10:25:12 am »
OK, so to try this out I went to the synaptic package manager and 'searched' for 'grub customizer' [as example], neither here nor in the software manager did it turn up anything I could recognise as the packages I might need to install [certainly nothing called grub customizer] . This is what I mean, where do we newbies find out how the package manager works?

Searching the www for things linux can sometimes get quite frustrating. I well understand... but this was the 3rd item in my search for grub...

https://www.linux.com/training-tutorials/complete-beginners-guide-linux/

this was the first result searching the forum for grub:

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9674.msg96489.html#msg96489

Any instructions regarding grub for any of the ubuntu family of distributions will likely also work in Peppermint.

Learning anything new is always a matter of trial and error. So its Always a good plan to maintain backups off of the computer in question, in case a fresh installation is required. Because things happen...

;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:47:36 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline straybit

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
    • Middleton Post 39
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 07:46:19 am »
Thanks, Fritz.  Your instructions worked like a charm.
Bruce