Author Topic: Broken Grub on Pep9  (Read 1574 times)

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 5
Re: Broken Grub on Pep9
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 04:51:31 pm »
Thanks- yes I have SuperGrub and have used it- painless and near miraculous. Maybe that would completely overwrite old one, but it specializes in totally messed up non-booting systems. Pep 9 has been magnificent with my new Dell, even worked in 14 year old ACER (slow but not full of security holes)!!! Although the ACER sleep ALWAYS hated newer Pep, never worked right.  Try it, or another small lite installation my friend gave me- X-Ubuntu, based on 18.04. When 80% of programs don't work, the utility is limited.

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 5
Re: Broken Grub on Pep9
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 08:34:16 am »
I am pleased to report I reinstalled the Pep bootloader using those Terminal CHroot Instructions in a Pep9 Live disc session (thanks a lot for your help); actually in carefully reading the Boot Repair Report, I realized you (somebody) was right- I WAS always in the Ubuntu bootloader, not the Peppermint one and all the progressive worsening was happening to the Ubuntu. The Pep Saw the 101 Kernel OK. The Ubuntu is really seriously screwed up, giving multiple system errors without Internet (do you want to make a Report?... YES to me!). My home (shared) Internet is so toxic that when I tried to hook up my router to his router with all the most extreme security settings possible- it seemed to work fine (locked only to my phones and lappy, 24 char passwords, secret station)... then was reset to Admin admin. I reloaded the saved config file, then Ubuntu couldn't see it. I'm afraid to even connect that to Pep now, which has seemed to be OK.

I tried rewrite the Ubuntu grub twice with a boot USB of Boot Repair, but it didn't change anything (seems to want to turn Secure Boot ON, but it wouldn't purge the grub first). Maybe I'll wipe the drive and install Ubuntu 20.4 (anybody got any feedback on that vs 18.4??- put that on multi-boot flash too).

What would I change in that CHroot installation procedure to ONLY reinstall the Ubuntu GRUB from the Ubuntu boot flash... without writing it to sda, so it still autoboots to Peppermint? Ubuntu is on sda10.

Or is there anything I need to change to have it fully rewrite the GRUB to boot from Ubuntu?   
   --------------------------------------------------------------