Author Topic: Broken Grub on Pep9  (Read 1575 times)

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 5
Re: Broken Grub on Pep9
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 02:45:08 pm »
As I said,   Pep's on p12, Ubuntu on p10, Win10 on p3. Big drive- lots of partitions.

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 03:22:37 pm »
try booting up into a previous working kernel, remove the newer ones that dont work then reinstall them in synaptic. that should reconfigure grub and the kernel then reboot and see if it works. ive fixed things that way in the past.
otherwise i use rescatux live iso to do it, also heard mx has a grub repair in their mx tools which is worth a look
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
I reinstalled the 101 Kernel in Synaptic, that didn't help- Grub still didn't see it on boot up. I may have had sketchy Internet during the original Installation, maybe it got broken. The Kernels that I see -96, and 99 boot up OK. What is the Terminal command to delete a whole kernel?  People say just search for instructions here but every page I find then links to some Ubuntu instructions that go back to 12.4, then when I ask if that would work, they say, "You didn't find it here".

I really don't know what I'm doing well enough to not break something without specific instructions- I really thought this might be pretty simple- can't I just purge and reload Grub from the live Pep9 DVD, or do that from the BOOT-REPAIR disc (that would install the Ubuntu bootloader, I presume). Is it bad to use that on a Peppermint GRUB?

I installed BOOT-REPAIR in Ubuntu and collected info- this is the link: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/rNqrkFWZ2h/   It does list the 101 Kernel, but NOT the -96 Kernel which still shows up in Grub (why I think it was some kind of attack, no reason for that to disappear, it was fine). Any ideas would be welcome on it's or any recommended solution.

Oh, I was checking the UEFI firmware boot order in SETUP and I clicked ADD Boot method to check it out, but it opened a window bigger than the screen, couldn't close it, when I clicked on button barely showing on the bottom, Ubuntu 18.04.4 LT had disappeared from the list... but it still shows and loads on the Peppermint Grub.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:38:45 pm by harriskev »

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:33 pm »
OK.     This is instructional from Feb 2019, but it's about an SSD. Is this correct for my system to reinstall the GRUB from the Live disc???? Not sure if the second line should even be there. NOTE- I do not really know what I'm doing.

BOOT FROM LIVE PEP9 DISK - Terminal
Code: [Select]
sudo mount /dev/sda12 /mnt    (Pep9)
sudo mount /dev/sda1  /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
sudo update-grub
then hit Ctrl+D to exit the chroot environment
and reboot to the HDD
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:39:22 pm by harriskev »

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 10:09:43 pm »
Normally, the simplest way to repair your grub... is to decide which Linux distribution you want to be in charge of GRUB; IE which distro your machine will default to while booting unattended. Then back everything up and REINSTALL that distro over top of it's current installation.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:27:50 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 12:29:22 am »
OK.     This is instructional from Feb 2019, but it's about an SSD. Is this correct for my system to reinstall the GRUB from the Live disc? ??? Not sure if the second line should even be there. NOTE- I do not really know what I'm doing.

BOOT FROM LIVE PEP9 DISK - Terminal
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
sudo update-grub
then hit Ctrl+D to exit the chroot environment
and reboot to the HDD

I think you are the right track with that -- at least as far as I can tell.
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 12:21:35 pm »
Could I get a little more certainty from someone??

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 12:59:37 pm »
It's basically OK except you're in chroot so no need for sudo update-grub.

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 05:48:07 pm »
I installed the 101 Kernel on another old lappy, no problem so I definitely have something funky- I really want to purge the GRUB first.  Is THIS correct (commands from old Ubuntu Chroot instructional)

sudo chroot /mnt
purge-grub   (grub-common?)
grub-install /dev/sda (grub-pc?)
update-grub

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 09:10:52 pm »
Where are you getting "purge-grub"? I don't think that's valid. I've never had to purge grub to reinstall it.

Are you sure Peppermint is in control of the bootloader and not Ubuntu?

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 06:23:39 pm »
Reading all the (old) instructionals; they say, reinstalling does not overwrite all files, if you want to clean it out you have to PURGE it first:
"grub-install will restore missing files in the grub folder but will not restore intentionally deleted or corrupted files. To accomplish these tasks GRUB 2 must be completely removed and reinstalled."  YES Pep is clearly the bootloader, it has simple old B+W newspaper text format, the Ubuntu was quite different, more graphical, and showed Ubuntu first. I installed Pep last.

Re purge-grub... I made it up, copying the other instruction format.. I understand apt-get isn't needed now. As I said, I don't know what I'm doing and need clear instructions. This was the 2014? instructional. I can't find anything newer or re. Peppermint:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_ChRoot

Purging & Reinstalling GRUB 2
The difference between using the grub-install command and purging & reinstalling GRUB 2 is that the latter completely removes all GRUB 2 files and system settings. Purging GRUB 2 is also a method to reset all configuration settings to the default values on a working system. This may correct GRUB 2 failures due to corrupted files and improper configurations as well as for missing folders/files deleted by the user. The GRUB 2 packages removed and reinstalled via this procedure include grub-pc, grub-common and, in Grub 1.99 and later, grub-gfxpayload-lists.

important.png During this operation the user will be temporarily left with no bootloader. Ensure you have a working Internet connection and access to the repositories before purging the GRUB 2 packages.

This procedure can be accomplished very simply via Boot-Repair, or via the terminal procedure below.

Remark: the Boot-Repair procedure will also remove custom files that may block the boot. It is also able to purge and reinstall GRUB2 for UEFI / LVM / RAID systems.
via Terminal Commands

The commands from a working Ubuntu installation or once within the ChRoot of a LiveCD are the same.

If using the LiveCD, complete the steps up to and including the sudo chroot command (Step 9) in the previous section.

Run the following commands as root. If not in a ChRoot environment, preface each command with sudo.

Update the repositories to get a list of the most recent packages available. Ensure you have a working Internet connection and access to the repositories. If you do not, STOP!

apt-get update

The following command will completely remove grub-pc and grub-common. In GRUB 1.99 and later, grub-gfxpayload-lists will also be removed.

You will be warned you are removing the bootloader. TAB to OK and press ENTER.

apt-get purge grub-common

Reinstall GRUB 2. When you run the following command:
        You will be given the opportunity to add kernel options. TAB to OK. You will be given the opportunity to select the devices/drives on which to install GRUB 2. Select the appropriate drive(s) with the SPACEBAR. Normally you do NOT want to select any partitions. TAB to OK after selecting the drive(s), then press ENTER.

apt-get install grub-pc

If using the ChRoot procedure, Exit chroot then continue the ChRoot procedure at Step 13:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 05:36:33 am »
As I said, I don't know what I'm doing and need clear instructions. This was the 2014? instructional. I can't find anything newer or re. Peppermint:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_ChRoot

This procedure can be accomplished very simply via Boot-Repair,

If you don't know what you're doing and a simple option is available, always try that first.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Offline harriskev

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 07:18:10 pm »
Actually folk, I installed Pep9 n my ancient ACER and it worked OK, v e r y   s l o w l y, if I booted up in rescue mode 1080 x 760, otherwise it displayed at 640x 480. But the thing that was very interesting, although I used the Kernel 101 fine, the update to 106K ALSO included an redo Update to 101, so was there something wrong with it?? I never remember any kernel getting 2 installs.

Can someone tell me the proper command to purge the GRUB before reinstalling it? I put that Boot Repair program on a disc, then saw they recommend a flash, but it uses the Ubuntu Grub (which might be confusing);  and I had some questions about the options. Have you used it, Murray? Hate using  a 16gb flash for a 1 gb program; is there some multi-boot USB burning program  for Pep/Ubuntu?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 03:32:07 am »
No, I haven't used Boot Repair. I've reinstalled GRUB from the Peppermint USB. I've never had to purge GRUB and won't be recommending that anyone try it.

Offline Bigoeuf

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 7 (64bit)
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 08:33:13 am »
@harriskev
Have a look at https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/ 15.6mb .iso for me - burned to a CD - though please read through the site thoroughly to find info & which download is right for you.
I had to use it reasonably recently when I managed to cock my grub installation up - excellent tool.  ;)

As an afterthought as you may notice I'm on Pepp 7 & its fine for me on my old Dell Inspiron 1501 (circa 2006) - anything greater than 4.4.x kernel plays havoc with shutdown unfortunately - I've been around the buoy troubleshooting & its problematic for me to say the least sooo I've unfortunately had to look elsewhere going forward on this old banger - however Pepp 7 is good for another 9 months support if you're so inclined  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:42:28 am by Bigoeuf »