Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing software in Peppermint  (Read 2222 times)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Installing software in Peppermint
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:11:12 pm »
This guide is for new users, if you are not a new user you will probably not learn anything new.

If you have anything (constructive) to add, then please do.

Now, there are multiple ways to install software in Peppermint. Understanding that Peppermint is Debian based will help here. Programs or Apps as many people call them today are referred to as packages in Linux. Understanding package management is important.

In Windows, you can double click on a file to install it. Software can be downloaded from a website or a flash drive or even from a CD / DVD. Linux is different from Windows.

Debian uses .deb packages and uses Synaptic Package Manager to manage the packages.

Method One - Software Manager

This is a great tool because it is easy to use. Programs are grouped by category and using search you can quickly find and install a wide variety of programs.

Let us take LibreOffice as an example. You run Software Manager and immediately it asks you for your sudo password. This is because only root is allowed to install software. This is one of things that makes Linux more secure than Windows. You can search for libreoffice and then double click on it in the list of found applications. Click on the Install button and the program will be downloaded and installed. It will also be added to the Menu.

Method two - Synaptic Package Manager

Here you can search for and install packages that are listed in the repositories that your computer is aware of. You can add a new repository, there is a great explanation about repositories here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-ppa-technology-explained/

Method three - download the .deb file

Warning: this method should only be used when you know the company you are downloading from. It is not the safest way to install software and should only be used if there is not another option.

Take Teamviewer as an example here. If you go to their website and download the .deb file, you can double click it as if it was a Windows executable (.exe) file. You then get a menu where you can click Install package.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:52:33 pm by 10i »
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com