Author Topic: Peppermint OS project status  (Read 337 times)

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Peppermint OS project status
« on: May 22, 2020, 05:45:43 am »
Hi, guys,

I know there is a thread where this question has been asked and I know what was the answer.

Still, I believe this topic deserves to be revisited - is Peppermint still in active development and is there a timeline for the next release?

What is the sustainability plan for Peppermint OS? Who is the successor of the main developer?

I am sure bringing some certainty by. answering these questions will be appreciated by the Peppermint OS community.

Thank you,

XVC

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Re: Peppermint OS project status
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 07:41:45 am »
As I am sure everyone is well aware by now, worldwide strangeness is putting a crimp or two in every developer's workflow while throwing wrenches into every single linux distro's next release timelines... Not to mention additional time to move through our own grief and shock, nevermind the need to tread carefully in the wake of our buddy/friend/ lead dev/ & all around good guy PCNetSpec's passing. We are trusting that the wider Linux Distro world will appreciate that we feel a need to take our time. The gathered members of #teampeppermint are utterly dedicated to building a release that fully honors his ethos, his legacy & would make him proud.

PeppermintOS've said pretty much all we can say at this point in time in this thread.

As PCNetSpec always reiterated "It'll be ready when it's ready, and not a minute sooner"
  ;)

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9767.msg97306.html#msg97306http://

Meanwhile, here's an updated reminder from:

Quote from: PCNetSpec
PeppermintOne thru Peppermint 6 are all EOL, and #teampeppermint strongly urges everyone still using any of those to update to a newer release!

Peppermint 7 & 8 have LTS support until 2021.

Peppermint 9 & 10 have LTS support until 2023.

8)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:09:05 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Fred

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 10 Respins - 64 Bit
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 08:03:13 am »
I join many who have been saddened by the loss of PCNetSpec and just want to say thank you to those who endeavor to keep his vision for Peppermint going. I am not a programmer but I do enjoy using Peppermint and have received help from this community on occasion.  As much as I appreciate the Peppermint os I likewise appreciate the spirit of this forum and the willingness to help others along who are not quite so computer proficient if you will. I do hope Peppermint and this community continues to prosper. Thanks again to those of you who are working diligently on things to keep the lights on for the Peppermint community. May God bless you all.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:15:40 am »
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement @Fred!

#teampeppermintOS is blessed to have the full support of PCNetSpec's heirs as the team he had gathered over the years recoalesce to carry his legacy forward with a release we hope he'll be proud of.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9283.0.html

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:21:41 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.