Author Topic: Cryptkeeper?  (Read 590 times)

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Cryptkeeper?
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:27:16 am »
Wanting to look after my file access, I found an official tutorial for using Cryptkeeper. Entering [as directed in the tutorial] in the terminal   'sudo apt-get install cryptkeeper'  got me [after password and a run thru pack lists, dependancy & state info...]  E: unable to locate package cryptkeeper. Having been pressed apone to first use the search option [so 'cryptkeeper'] in this forum I got no single post on what to do when this happens. Gave the software manager a go and... no match for cryptkeeper.
It looks like I am into downloading TARs and such? Or am I missing something [again?]    lliam
hopefull

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Cryptkeeper?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:38:33 am »
Hi lliam53,

Check this item. It is not very secure so you might consider using something else for file encryption (at least if it needs to be very secure).

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:44:04 am »
Thanks, I need to look at the alternatives carefully. Cryptomator needs a 64 bit architechture for instance. Will get back on this one....
hopefull

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:05:30 pm »
Any particular reason you skipped the "Encrypt My Drive" during your installation of PeppermintOS?

:-\
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:17:43 pm »
I use Gnome Encfs manager since my computer is not accessed by a bunch of people. I guess it would depend on how much security you need.
What was I thinking?

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 04:24:01 am »
RE Spence,   on the whole I have no need for an encrypted system. It's just good to have an encryption [ or password protection ] option for certain files/folders. Cryptomator would appear to work accross platform which is interesting as I keep most of my data on network drives accessable from various systems. Anyway have other stuff [cubic yard/metre of sand] to look afer so do not wait up on this one...  lliam
hopefull

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:44:15 pm »
Anyway have other stuff [cubic yard/metre of sand] to look after so do not wait up on this one...  lliam

Appreciate being let off the hook, so to speak lliam53! You may rest assured, I don't wait up! For I am more than comfortable in the knowledge that #teampeppermint have a nice capable group of Trusted Users whom I completely trust to handle answering the support queries. All of them are more knowledgeable than I. They allow me to focus on other details moving forward. Believe me when I say, I am thankful for their dedication each and every single day!

;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:18:36 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 08:05:06 am »
Now having more time I looked once more at an alternative, cross platform encryption tool for file on network locations. Unfortunately Cryptomater, which looks good, is only for 64bit machinery so that's out. However Gnupg is both cross platform, good for simple hardware AND it's already installed in my P10 installation. That is that's what my software manager is telling me, but I can not find how to use it. Typing Gnupg in the menu search comes up blank, so if there's anyone out there who knows? P.S I have obviously tried searching this forum, without success. Oh and if I set the software manager to 'show installed applications' the list only covers what I have installed and not any other apps which are apparantly present...
lliam
hopefull

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 09:15:06 am »
Hi lliam53,

I'm not sure which software manager you are using but the standard for package management (synaptic) shows everything that is installed (including gnupg). That is just one of the various reasons that synaptic is for package management the choice among those "in the know."  ;) 

As for using gnupg -- I cannot help you because I have never used it.  :-[

Regards,

-- Slim

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:30:55 am »
Hey lliam53, try opening a terminal and typing
Code: [Select]
gnupg and hit enter and see what comes up.
What was I thinking?

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 08:04:12 am »
Well here's the situation so far: Entering gnupg gave me 'gnupg' not found  try gnubg [which is backgammon game] so I left that alone. I have tried a number of password/crypto alternatives all of which are no problem in windows but which are unusable [for me] in P10 [32 bit] as they consitently turn up with very complicated requests for [amongst others] 'keyrings' and other terms I do not recall, amid all manner of boxes requiring terms I have no understanding of. Now I am in possesion of an installation file for the app 'AESCrypt' which promises to be 'easy' in use. I shall keep you posted...   
Well did not get much further.. after the [easy]  installation, and the program becoming available via menu, I get: 'Invalid arguments, a single filename is required' on running, so where to from here? Does anyone out there have any experience with AESCrypt?    lliam
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:25:28 am by lliam53 »
hopefull

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 10:46:13 am »
To encrypt a file, you simply right-click or left-click on the file (depending on your desktop) you wish to encrypt, and open the file with AES Crypt.

https://www.aescrypt.com/linux_aes_crypt.html

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 05:59:56 am »
I have managed to get AES so far that it will create an .aes file from mine, accepting my given password. Do not even think that I am then able to open that file again! Both creation and opening follow the same path: right click 'open with other program' [no 'encrypt' menu item] with create one is asked twice for the password and the .aes file appears. Opening the same so 'open with other program', the box appears with password request, once filled in that dissapears and.... nothing happens. I have contacted the AES team and someone is working on this. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with my 'No such file or directory' problem [see my post] I wait....     lliam
hopefull

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 10:40:33 am »
What do you mean nothing happens? The file stays encrypted?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 05:06:04 am »
Hi lliam53,

Did you read the article given to you by murraymint? It is worth reading all of it. Note also that when extracting the encrypted file, the original file will be created with its original name and file extension, so to really test whether it is working you should first encrypt your original file (let's call it original-file.txt) to get the encrypted file original-file.aes -- now go back and give your original file (original-file.txt) a new name (e.g. orig.txt) and then attempt to extract the file original-file.aes to see if original-file.txt then appears and has the same contents as orig.txt;)

Let us know if you are still having problems.

BTW, if you are still interested in try to get gnupg running (since it installed already on your computer) then read my next message in this thread (I split it off from this message because this one is primarily about aescrypt).

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:25:20 am by Slim.Fatz »